What oil should I be running in the warm months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is a 2005 Audi S4. This is the 4.2L 40V V8, not direct inject like the RS4. I drive it 12 months a year but it is NOT a DD since I'm usually doing public transportation. During the warmer months I enjoy autocrossing it or taking it for a track day. Regardless, it's driven 1 or 2 days a week maximum.

Factory fill is 5w40 but I am contemplating moving to something different for warmer months. I'll run 5w40 for the cold months. I live in Chicago so it does get cold, but the car is garaged.

What's a safe viscosity/weight to be running in the summer? 15w50?

Keep doing what you're doing. 300V won't even blink at your engine, in any viscosity, even at the track.
wink.gif

5w40 is a good weight for that engine dont go heavier thin is in with oils and besides 5w40 is not too thin its a 40 weight when hot and that is pretty thick

Audi S2 with spec'd 5W40 can be driven on Autobahn at speed of 50+ MPH all day long without problem, no need to go thicker than that.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Audi S2 with spec'd 5W40 can be driven on Autobahn at speed of 50+ MPH all day long without problem, no need to go thicker than that.

I think if he was only going 50 mph all day, he could even go with 5w-20.
wink.gif
I don't think the Germans have built a vehicle in which the engine really has to work to sustain 50 mph since the early Bug days.

Another Audi guy said,

with modern synthetics and engines, it is best to run the spec'ed weight
the oil pump, pressure reliefs, hydraulic actuators (cam phasing) etc. are all calibrated for it...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Sorry, two typo:
Audi S4 not Audi S2
150+ MPH not 50+ MPH.

Unless you have other specific NEEDS, 5-40 or 0-40 should be great. M1 0-40 is a great high standard for oil of this type.

Remember that 'thinner' oils cool better, as well as flow.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Unless you have other specific NEEDS, 5-40 or 0-40 should be great. M1 0-40 is a great high standard for oil of this type.

Remember that 'thinner' oils cool better, as well as flow.

+1.....

Last edited:
It's a statement about oils, not about engines.
wink.gif

When an engine "wants thick stuff," that means it needs higher viscosity more than it needs better cooling or flow rate.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Keep doing what you're doing. 300V won't even blink at your engine, in any viscosity, even at the track.
wink.gif

+1

Except that I would be using their auto/competition 5W-40 300V, and NOT the reduced add pack 4T stuff (unless there is a specific reason why Audis, or their emissions systems, cannot use that most excellent oil).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back