What oil myths did you believe in the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long before I knew my wife, in the early 80's my future father in law got into the van rental business. He told me once that he just let the oil in for 10000 miles, back in guess when oil was first for him, API SF. Vans did mostly highway driving. His garage man had a fit about that, but he just keep on with it and never had engine problems. Early adopter of extended OCI. His garage man now see they can let oil go that long.

Last edited:
I've seen Pennzoil mentioned a few times. In my neck of the woods, it was Quaker State. Anybody who knew anything about cars did NOT use Quaker State. Engines that were waxed up had a case of Quaker State-itis.

I too, saw the valve covers filled with a jello type substance that was attributed to Quaker State. In the back of my mind, however, I knew that any brand of oil would do that if never changed.

I don't really know if the rumors were true or not. I just know I didn't use QS back then.

We were a Quaker State family in the 1970's and 80's. You would have been impressed with the under-rocker-cover photos of my 1972 Catalina at 200,000 miles. To be fair, though, back then it involved religiously changing oil/filter every 3,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
We were a Quaker State family in the 1970's and 80's. You would have been impressed with the under-rocker-cover photos of my 1972 Catalina at 200,000 miles. To be fair, though, back then it involved religiously changing oil/filter every 3,000 miles.

People say oil is cheap but after 200,000 miles that's a lot of oil changes.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

People say oil is cheap but after 200,000 miles that's a lot of oil changes.

Sure is. I recall oil being about 79 cents a quart during my college years - mid 80's. Maybe the oils in the 70's and 80's could have gone longer, but the 3K OCI was firmly entrenched back then.

Originally Posted By: chainblu
I've seen Pennzoil mentioned a few times. In my neck of the woods, it was Quaker State. Anybody who knew anything about cars did NOT use Quaker State. Engines that were waxed up had a case of Quaker State-itis.

I too, saw the valve covers filled with a jello type substance that was attributed to Quaker State. In the back of my mind, however, I knew that any brand of oil would do that if never changed.

I don't really know if the rumors were true or not. I just know I didn't use QS back then.

I met numerous guys who called it "Quaker Sludge."

I then ask them "If the API sets a standard and Quaker State meets it, how could QS turn to sludge if it is changed on schedule?" Nobody ever really gave me a clear answer.

Originally Posted By: car51
That old wives tail just won't die I see. It's still alive and well

Not quite correct, the old wives tail, but close.

The old wives tail (the husband) need to be converted and born again and become the head not the tail, and to be done in integrity and sincerity in the bond of love.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil

BITOGoers oil recommendations and OCIs overruled the OEM vehicle manual.

Did you have a bad UOA?

Did you have a bad UOA?

No, I wasted money doing them concluding UOAs are not necessary if you follow OEMs recommendations.

Last edited:

Did you have a bad UOA?

No, I wasted money doing them concluding UOAs are not necessary if you follow OEMs recommendations.

Then was it really a waste of money?
Did you have confidence in OEM recommendations before you did the UOA'S?
If so, then why did you do them in the first place?

Have a hard time seeing how they were a waste of money if knowledge and confidence in OEM recommendations were both gained in the process.

I believed the dolts who told me the following:
1. You're putting your vehicle at risk if you're not changing oil every 3,000 miles
2. You really can't save much money changing your own oil
3. Changing your own oil is a huge PITA

I came here for help when my wife started commuting 200 miles daily and I decided it was time to start changing my own oil. I'm a frugal guy and typically like to do things myself if at all possible. I wasn't about to pay $30-$35 a pop for cheap oil/filter changes at the local shops on a near-monthly basis. You all showed me the path to quality frugality.

I now stock up on QSUD at Menard's between $1.50-$2.00 a qt when it's on sale/rebate. I take advantage of any deals on Fram Ultras, PureOnes & the like and I've found that over the past two years, I've been changing the oil in all our vehicles for around $15-$18.00 each time with quality synthetic oil and filters. Thanks to some heads-up deals posted here, I bought my initial supplies - Rhino Ramps for $36 and a nice drip pan for $10 and I haven't looked back since.

The oil changing led me to look into more things I could maintain and fix myself. I've since replaced an Emissions EVAP Solenoid Canister on my Suburban, saving myself about $250.00. I'm replacing pads & rotors on the Suburban this weekend, saving about $300.00. Between this place, YouTube and my father-in-law's vast vehicle knowledge, I'm really enjoying the monetary savings and the comfort of knowing what's going in/on your vehicle alongside the satisfaction of doing the job yourself.

Thanks BITOG!

Originally Posted By: meborder

Did you have a bad UOA?

Then was it really a waste of money?
Did you have confidence in OEM recommendations before you did the UOA'S?
If so, then why did you do them in the first place?

Have a hard time seeing how they were a waste of money if knowledge and confidence in OEM recommendations were both gained in the process.

Yes it was a waste of money and time I should have followed my gut instincts and just stuck to the OEM guidelines.

One example I see here a new member has purchased a new vehicle under warranty and the new member has already formed an opinion to drop the oil early based on BITOG advice.

I have seen new members come here done 200k miles on 3k OCI with basic oil and no leaks etc and they are advised to go long drain on a full synthetic which sometimes they do. Sometimes I think we could learn from the new member rather than the other way round.

I have no problem if the new member does whatever free choice /county but there is a myth that BITOG knows better. If look with an open mind you will find these for yourself.

Anyway this is enough about my view surely there are other myths that exist and need to be raised and to stick to the subject matter.

Last edited:
One example I see here a new member has purchased a new vehicle under warranty and the new member has already formed an opinion to drop the oil early based on BITOG advice.

I have seen new members come here done 200k miles on 3k OCI with basic oil and no leaks etc and they are advised to go long drain on a full synthetic which sometimes they do. Sometimes I think we could learn from the new member rather than the other way round.

That's a very interesting point. Never thought about it that way.

More important is explain why we had the beliefs and what changed them and why do we think we now know better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back