What Oil "LONG POST"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Oil and oil accessory aficionado's.

The Cars:
1). 2006 Toyota Camry SE V6 - 3MZ-FE 43k
2). 2001 Mercury Villager Estate - VG33E 43k
3). 2006 Ford Taurus SE - Vulcan 39k
4). 2012 Caddilac SRX Performance - GM 3.6 DI - 10k
5). 1983 Pontiac Grand Prix - GM 305 - 68k

Driving Style:
They all putter around Staten Island + Brooklyn, maybe the odd bi-yearly trip to Upstate NY or Jersey. All Roughly 90% Stop+Go, 10% Highway.

Camry Specs 5w-30, Current Fill is PP & Bosch premium.
Taurus Specs 5w20, Due to CAFE Regs, MC 5w-20 Syn + FL400S
VillaQuest Specs 5w30. Current Fill is Mobil 1 & Mobil Filter.

The Questions:
Should the Camry get a Toyota OEM or Denso filter due to its many VVT phasers/actuators?
The Taurus is a Commuter 15 miles/30 mins x2 trips a day, Is 0w-20 A Consideration?
There all WAY under 10k a year each, so x2 years OCI's doable? All syn blend or Full?
Decent quality drain plug gaskets for all 3 besides dealer, Where/what can I get.
Stores @ My disposal is AZ,AAP,Walmart,Ford/Toyota Dealers.

So, opinions, facts, ideas, personal experiences with particular engines would be most welcomed.
Really liking the forum

-Mike

Where is the long post?
grin2.gif

My sugestions; (vehicle numbers)

1. Any 5w-30 API rated SM or better oil and any filter. 43k on a 2006 you are not going to take it to high miles before it has rust problems. OCI of 5-6 months.

2. To keep it simple ditto on the above for this vehicle.

3. Any 5w-20 and follow #1.

4. Any Dexos 5w-30 rated oil and follow the OLM.

5. Back to number 1 every 6 months.

That was simple!
01.gif

Take care, bill

K. I would use the Toyota genuine motor oil in the 0w-20 flavour in the Camry,the villager and the Taurus.
In the Grand Prix I would use whatever syn Walmart has on sale at the time of change,perhaps even a high mile specific oil such as defy or valvoline,even the Mobil stuff gets good reviews here.
The caddy obviously needs a dexos approved oil so pick any of them since they are basically very similar to meet that spec.

I really dropped the ball on that one, the caddys leased, therfor covered under caddilacs maintenance program.
Roughly 4.5k of acdelco filters and 5w-30 syn blend @ dealer.

With your driving profile, change your oil every 6 months, spring & autumn.
I would use the same 5w30 in them all. I will suggest something different than the norm,
SuperTech 5w30 Synthetic @ Walmart....
Filters: whatever works....try the Purolator Classic

To keep it really simple and if your doing the changes yourself ? I think Pennzoil platinum in 5w30 would be fine in all of these auto's and run a puro classic or pure 0ne filter.

I'm not one of the experts at this site, not even close. I'll only parrot what most people say around here, but here is my .02. Use the recommended viscosities that the manufacturers are stating to use, or use the 0w-xx that matches the recommended operating temp viscosity. Do a search on Mobil1 0w-30, some memebers of this forum have had trouble with it, not sure if those issues are valid. If you want to change your oil every 4,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first, then use a conventional. Pennzoil, Havoline, Valvoline, do a search and you'll find lots of recent recommendations. If you want to run up to 7,500 miles or to the oil life monitor of your vehicle, or one year whichever comes first, then go synthetic. Mobil1 and Pennzoil synthetics are both very good. Another reason to use synthetic is if you are parking your vehicles outside on those cold New York winter nights, synthetic will be better for starting in those temps. Otherwise, many people have run their vehicles a bazillion miles on whatever is on sale at Wal-Mart as long as it is changed at reasonabale intervals

Originally Posted By: hemitom
To keep it really simple and if your doing the changes yourself ? I think Pennzoil platinum in 5w30 would be fine in all of these auto's and run a puro classic or pure 0ne filter.

this ^ use one oil for all of them. any brand 5w30 at walmart, and puro classics. it should cost under $20 for conventional and under $25 for synthetic per vehicle.

i would probably run mobil super 5w30 in all of them, except the caddy.

if you want synthetic, QSUD or PP both very reasonably priced at walmart, as most of them are. their highest priced syn in my area is PU at 27$ for 5qt.

Last edited:
Welcome Aboard Mike
I like the vintage Grand Prix with the 305.
I'd probably use a 5-30 in that one because of the short trips-other wise that era of vehicles was run a lot on 10-40.
What have you been using all these years in the GP?

Run all with the Same Oil (my preference QSGB and use a P1 filter). Change it every 5-6 months and do an OC in spring and Fall. Your set to go. Good quality Dino and good quality oil filter.

My father bought it new custom ordered in '83.
He says GTX 10w-30 or Other mainstream dino's of the time,
But he religiously used OCOD's
confused2.gif
or Rarely, Puro White.

Now its probably going to get Whatever pennzoil 5w-30 I can find and already have a Pureone On hand for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back