What oil is best for 1989 Corolla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK guys,
What do I do with my Chevron Supreme 20W50 from Costco?
I have 8 quarts left.

I have learned allot about things like which air freshener lasts longest from Goss' Garage! Actually thats unfair, he did a really cool segment on bypass oil filtration once.

OK, I talked to Costco and they will let me return the 20W50 for a FULL refund.
I could pick up a 12 quart case of Chevron Supreme for $27.99
5W30
10W30
10W40
Mobil 1= $33.00 6 quart case

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If costco has diesel 15w40 oil that would be pretty sweet. I wouldn't go thicker than a Xw40.

They do
Chevron Delo 400LE 15W40
$32.49 3/1 gal.jugs

Has anyone know of bad reports about Chevron oil?
I know according to their website, they also make Havoline oils

Originally Posted By: EAGLE777
OK, I talked to Costco and they will let me return the 20W50 for a FULL refund.
I could pick up a 12 quart case of Chevron Supreme for $27.99
5W30
10W30
10W40
Mobil 1= $33.00 6 quart case

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If costco has diesel 15w40 oil that would be pretty sweet. I wouldn't go thicker than a Xw40.

They do
Chevron Delo 400LE 15W40
$32.49 3/1 gal.jugs

Has anyone know of bad reports about Chevron oil?
I know according to their website, they also make Havoline oils

Check out Walmart again is see if Delo has been rolledback/on sale up there. Delo 15w40 40o le for $8.50 a gallon here in Fl at Wallyworld. It is all I'm using now in everything( mowers, compressor, welders, pressure washer and trucks).

Last edited:
I'd stick with the Formula Shell since you have the 20W-50 left over. Instead of the straight 20W-50 you could mix it with some 05W-30. Lets say 4 quarts of Formula Shell 05W-30 with 1 quart of 20W-50. You could do this until your supply of 20W-50 is used up and move onto another oil.

Walgreen's has it on sale for $1.99 a quart and Costco carries it for a great price.

Formula Shell has served you will if this has been the oil you've been using for so long.

Formula Shell is excellent oil as well. The only thing I own that is not getting/going to get Delo is my wifes Mazda 3 which will get Formula Shell 5w30 at the next oci(can't sleep well with the 5w20 in the sump :) )

Formula Shell?
I thought I was talking about Chevron/Havoline.
Is Chevron and Shell related?
If I can return a partial case for full refund, why not?
I would be getting the same brand of oil,wont have to mix it for winter and gaining 4 quarts.
I thought mixing grades was frowned upon.
Why all this talk about diesel oil in gas powered cars?
Is there something I'm missing?
I don't want to go beyond 10WXX if I don't need to, and I think I do.
my car is not burning or leaking at all.
What about the "As thick as necessary, but no thicker" rule?
Wouldn't that apply to Delo 15W40?

Why do I have a feeling this getting out of hand, beyond what I have been asking.
I don't think everyone is reading the entire thread or following along very well.

No one every replied directly to my question of what to do with the 20W50, but since Costco will take it back and give all my money back, that is no longer an issue.

Now maybe somebody will answer my questions regarding Chevron/Havoline.

Thank you and have a great day.

Jabe

Your original question:

"What is the best oil for my car and climate?"

It was answered. I don't think Chevron Supreme came up in any of the replies. There is your curveball.

-Spyder

If your 4AF engine is not leaking or smoking any 5W20,5W30,10W30,15W40 will work great. I'd use Chevron or Formula Shell depending on which was priced best at the time. The 4AF is not and has never had issues with sludge. It's probably one of the best 4cyl. engines ever made. Maxlife is a good product but not neccessary.

I'm thinking 10W-40 MaxLife would be just fine for that vintage Toyota. Right now it's $14.00 for a 5 quart bottle at Walmart.

Formula Shell?
I would be getting the same brand of oil,wont have to mix it for winter and gaining 4 quarts.

Why do I have a feeling this getting out of hand, beyond what I have been asking.
I don't think everyone is reading the entire thread or following along very well.

No one every replied directly to my question of what to do with the 20W50, but since Costco will take it back and give all my money back, that is no longer an issue.

Jabe

Doesn't Costco carry both Shell(Formula Shell) and Chevron(Delo)? I suggested Delo because it is an outstanding oil and is thinner than the 20w50 you have been running and can be had very cheaply at WM.

If you don't want to use the 20w50 than return it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3311
Formula Shell?

Jabe

Doesn't Costco carry both Shell(Formula Shell) and Chevron(Delo)? I suggested Delo because it is an outstanding oil and is thinner than the 20w50 you have been running and can be had very cheaply at WM.

If you don't want to use the 20w50 than return it.

Our local Costco's (3 in our area) doesn't carry Shell oil.
I think some do, depending on region.

I returned the 20W50 today.

We have a business Costco Warehouse here and they also sell PYB & Pennzoil full synthetic 10W30.

This is easy then: pick up some 5W30 PYB, and try it out. If everything seems ok, stick with it. If you notice any consumption or leaks, move up a grade to 10W30 or 10W40.

Ultimately there is no one size fits all approach, and even with some engine, driving patters, and climate info, the best you get is an educated guess. This is why you get so many different responses.

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back