What oil for the Hellcat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rjundi

With 6.2 litres and a super charger to boot my guess the motor is not even as stressed a Mitsubishi EVO with 300 HP from 2.0L. Whatever is in the manual
smile.gif

I was thinking the same thing. Unless you're doing track days, the oil will be living an easy life.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

Would 0W-40 be sufficiently thick for the new 707 HP Hellcat engine? No such engine has ever been made before for mass production.

Well, its power density is on-par with the GT500 (114HP/L), which specs 5w-50 and less than the M6 (127HP/L), which spec's an LL-01 oil (BMW 5w-30), which is comparable to the 0w-40 here, so yes, I would think it would indeed be sufficiently thick.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Just the folks with lots of cash to burn.

I'd suggest it was folks who refrain frim burning cash on new cars every couple years and save for something that they really want...

If I was single with the job I have! & Very Bored! I might be very interested in buying one of these.

I would not hesitate to pour in M1 0W-40 with the reputation this oil has I would have full confidence in it to protect my expensive investment.

I would be more worried about the [censored] Fuel in this country.

I think the C6 ZR1 had about 660HP, used 0w40, and was very similar to the Hellcat engine. I would have no doubt that 0w40 would work fine in the Hellcat.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Bud
Just the folks with lots of cash to burn.

I'd suggest it was folks who refrain frim burning cash on new cars every couple years and save for something that they really want...

Exactly. I hadn't bought a new car in 20 years when I bought my SRT (and even it was technically "used" but with only 2k miles on it.) It was finally what I really wanted and had been waiting for for a long, long time.

There's also a market out there that will really want the third most powerful production vehicle (non-hybrid) in the world, and THE most powerful production v8 in the world. Especially when you get that bragging right for under $100k and with a usable back seat and trunk. Not me, but the market exists, and they're the ones that will pay the a premium. But for what its worth, I really don't think there'll be a big markup like there was for the first Viper, when everyone thought it was going to be a limited-run production of what was essentially a show car. It looks like Chrysler intends to build plenty of these.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
It is humorous but the M1 0W-40 was the spec oil for a long time. It's right on the cap on my car by name!

The switch to Shell products was simply due to the marriage with Fiat.

Also, expect huge premiums on this car by the stealership. It was not uncommon for my car to have a 10-20k mark up on it in 2005 and 2006...

Would people actually buy the cars with the huge markups?

Historically they have indeed.

When the new GT500 was first released it had huge premiums on it.

ALL SRT8 models, even the Jeep, have had huge premiums tacked on the first year. I had to scour all of Florida to find a stealership that would sell one at sticker, much less give you a decent price.

Lots of folks with more moolah than sense...

"Pennzoil ultra will keep that [censored] cat tamed"

Did you use the word [censored] ?

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10w30. Don't use the PUP 0w40 because the base oil is [censored]. I would use Mobil 1 0w40 before PUP 0w40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lex94
"Pennzoil ultra will keep that [censored] cat tamed"

Did you use the word [censored] ?

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10w30. Don't use the PUP 0w40 because the base oil is [censored]. I would use Mobil 1 0w40 before PUP 0w40.

I certainly hope they rectify that as they roll out 0w40 in the new ultra-platinum-plus-to-the-third-power branding scheme. :-/ I never liked the fact that PU 0w40 was the weakest oil (at least by some measures- base stock namely) in the PU lineup. Which is why I have been using M1 since the 3rd crankcase-full on my SRT.

Doesn't it come with an 8-speed automatic transmission? I'd be just as worried about the fluid in that as I would about the engine. SOooo much shifting and force will be put on that poor thing.

After seeing in the 2014 owner's manual, "We recommend you use MOPAR® DOT 3, SAE J1703 should be used. If DOT 3, SAE J1703 brake fluid is not available, then DOT 4 is acceptable", I would disregard any oil recommendation by Chrysler engineers, let alone Pennzoil Ultra over Mobil 1. DOT 4 is acceptable over inferior DOT 3?? Do they know anything?

After seeing in the 2014 owner's manual, "We recommend you use MOPAR® DOT 3, SAE J1703 should be used. If DOT 3, SAE J1703 brake fluid is not available, then DOT 4 is acceptable", I would disregard any oil recommendation by Chrysler engineers, let alone Pennzoil Ultra over Mobil 1. DOT 4 is acceptable over inferior DOT 3?? Do they know anything?

I'm sure they know much more about their designs than we do.

If DOT 3 provides all the wet and dry boiling protection the vehicle needs what is the problem? Also DOT 4 boiling point will drop off faster once it starts to absorb moisture than DOT 3 fluid will even though it starts with a higher boiling point. Knowing how often the average person changes their brake fluid (never), DOT 3 would most likely provide better performance through the life of the vehicle than DOT 4.

Maybe they do know something.

Originally Posted By: Brent_G
Also DOT 4 boiling point will drop off faster once it starts to absorb moisture than DOT 3 fluid will even though it starts with a higher boiling point.

That seems to have to do more with the brand than DOT 3 vs. 4. Castrol LMA (low moisture activity) DOT 4 synthetic brake fluid is probably the brake fluid that absorbs least moisture and it will outperform any DOT 3 fluid in any application.

Also DOT 4 boiling point will drop off faster once it starts to absorb moisture than DOT 3 fluid will even though it starts with a higher boiling point.

That seems to have to do more with the brand than DOT 3 vs. 4. Castrol LMA (low moisture activity) DOT 4 synthetic brake fluid is probably the brake fluid that absorbs least moisture and it will outperform any DOT 3 fluid in any application.

Yes, but that would mean they would have to spec that exact fluid or develop their own DOT 4 that performed similar.

I'm not denying that for the average BITOG member DOT 4 would perform better, but for a majority of the public, brake fluid is topped off with the cheapest fluid they can find or not even paid attention too. So for that type of person, DOT 3 would provide the best performance over the life of the vehicle.

IMO yes many things in vehicles are a compromise and there may be better things for the job at hand. Saying that the engineers know nothing and to disregard everything because of something so minor as DOT 3 over DOT 4 is silly.

I haven't seen DOT 3 fluid here for fifteen years and it's considered obsolete. DOT 4,a rating that came about in response to the emergence of then new sintered metal brake pads is still a glycol based fluid just like old DOT 3 and DOT 5.1. And brake fluid is hygroscopic for a reason,moisture isn't good for brake components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back