What oil for racing Yamaha "2008" R6

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ Based on the owners manual, you shouldn't use 10W-30 if the outside temperature is above 20C (68F) even if you're just crusing around town, let alone racing around a track.

I would use Repsol Moto Racing 4T 10w-40. I think you would be fine with Motul or Yamalube, but Repsol is my personal preference.

Thanks all for each opinion. A lot of the fellow Dutch racers with Yamaha R6 & R1 use Motul 300v or Yamalube 10W 40.

More HP and lower temp with a 10w-30 sounds like music in my ears, but i am a little afraid how the transmission and clutch will react.

In the documents Yamaha says that the 10w 30 will do ok till an outside temp of +20 Celcius. While im racing it at +32 Celcius at a hot summer day. Dont know if they meassure at standing still, or with driving wind at 160 km/h hour average ( 100 Mph )

Are you really sure that the 10w-30 will not damage anything, like the gear bearings or clutch?

I only want to change do oil once a year after 10 trackdays, thats 1800km per year.

Here in the netherlands, i can find Lucas 10w - 30 Synthetic API SM / JASO MA-2 ACEA A3.

This matches the Yamaha spec as far as i see.

What do you guys think of LUCAS oil in the US ?
Rather than being fooled by specious posts with simply wrong cut-and-paste quotes, and pictures which have no correlation to lubrication by a positive displacement pump in a running engine, stick with a reliable source of info you can trust. Such as the manufacturer of your bike.

Are you really sure that the 10w-30 will not damage anything, like the gear bearings or clutch?
Yes I'm confident a 30 grade will meet and exceed your racing expectations...

Understand that API grades oil on gravity flow in cSt... API grades are not a
measurement of an oils actual physical thickness... its really the rate oil
flows measured by a stop watch... blink and you might miss the difference
between the grades...

Armed with the truth how oils are really graded you'll be way ahead of the competition...

full-45634-35394-viscositytest1.jpg

^^^ The real answer is study journal bearing hydrodynamic lubrication, and the relationship between oil viscosity, the supporting MOFT in the bearing as the viscosity decreases (especially from heat and RPM due to extreme engine use like racing) and how that relates to bearing wear.

Anecdotally. I know Forrest and Morgan Lucas. In the TF/D's that Morgan has driven, Lucas Oil products were not used.

Make of that what you will.

What do you guys think of Lucas oil?

Actually Zilk it doesn't matter what I think about expensive boutique oils... its your call...

Here is what I know...

Lucas is based right here in my state of California USA... I don't why
they show up in your country... are you sure this is only motorcycle
30 grade available in your area??? anyway going forward...

Lucas offers motorcycle specific oil in grades 5w30 and 10w30... here
is a Yamalube VOA to give you a base of what Yamaha thinks is ideal...
compare that with Lucas VOA to help you decide...

VOA=Virgin Oil Analysts...

Lucas5W30a.JPG

Lucas10w30a.JPG

Lucas10w30.JPG

YamaLube10w40.JPG

Last edited:
Don't know why Lucas is sold here, but its cheaper the yamalube and the only in 10w 30 or 5w 30.

Thanks for the reports. So, a lot thinner then yamalube.

Maybe a bit to thin for the clutch and gearbox?

I am afraid to try it do, maybe i better stick to the yamalube or motul 10w 40

Do you perhaps have a report of repsol motoracing 4t and shell advange ultra 4t 10w 40 and? The i can compare with the yamalube

^^^

1609775970812-png.39276

Per the very chart you put in post #1, you shouldn't be running any xW-30 oil if the ambient temperature is above 20C (68F). It might be OK for ice racing, but certainly not for racing in temperatures of 32+C (90+ F)

Don't know why you're even entertaining using xW-30. Use at least a xW-40 if you're going to race the bike.

Don’t do a 10w30, there is one person and one person only on this forum that suggests that time and time again. Go with the numbers, it’s a better bet. Haven’t seen a UOA in a long time for the bike that runs 10w30. Nothing recent.

And with respect, the VOA’s shown above are 10 years and 13 years old. Don’t know that they would have much play anymore unless someone was to provide a more recent VOA to show the formula is still the same. Highly doubt it is, it is old and outdated information.

Last edited:
If I absolutely had to run a 10W-30 in a track or race bike, it would be something like Red Line, which has an HTHS viscosity of 3.8.

In the end, there's no need to obsess about the oil especially if you're new to racing. It's not going to win or lose you races. You should be more concerned about things like tires, brakes, and suspension. Oil is at the bottom of the list.

Don't know why Lucas is sold here, but its cheaper the yamalube and the only in 10w 30 or 5w 30.

Thanks for the reports. So, a lot thinner then yamalube.

Maybe a bit to thin for the clutch and gearbox?

I am afraid to try it do, maybe i better stick to the yamalube or motul 10w 40
You're welcome... if 30 wasn't right for clutch or gearbox Yamaha would not have listed on your oil guide... I understand your apprehension but racing is all about over coming ones fears...

I check my files and I don't have a VOA for Repsol or Shell...

... if 30 wasn't right for clutch or gearbox Yamaha would not have listed on your oil guide... I understand your apprehension but racing is all about over coming ones fears...
And as said before, the manual says don't use 10W-30 if ambient temps are above 68F. That right there should steer him away from using it for racing in 90F weather. I would never use any xW-30 in a race bike in 90F weather.

BSL ... have you full out track raced your RC45 using xW-30 oil, if so which one? Have you ever tore down your engine and looked at all the crank, rod and cam journal bearings?

Last edited:
And as said before, the manual says don't use 10W-30 if ambient temps are above 68F. That right there should steer him away from using it for racing in 90F weather. I would never use any xW-30 in a race bike in 90F weather.

BSL ... have you full out track raced your RC45 using xW-30 oil, if so which one? Have you ever tore down your engine and looked at all the crank, rod and cam journal bearings?

Nevermind...

Last edited:
Do you perhaps have a report of repsol motoracing 4t and shell advange ultra 4t 10w 40 and? The i can compare with the yamalube
Friend, that Yamalube VOA is 13 years old. Incredibly likely it has changed since then. Do not use it to compare.
Does the original poster and “owner” of an oil analysis need to be given credit when it is re-posted, such as this Yamalube 10w40 VOA from 2008 and nccogburn?

Alright, i go for the 40 spec and dont have to hesitate about a 30 anymore. Thanks for all of your input!

You're welcome... there is no good reason to hesitate about a 30 grade...
Going by the oil can labeling the difference between a 30 Grade and a
40 Grade is ten grade points but that is NOT 10 grade points of
thickness the measured viscosity difference between the Lucas 30 Grade
and the Yamalube 40 Grade is only 3.8 centi-stokes of gravity flow
measured by a stop watch... flow is how oil is graded not thickness...

Lucas 30 Grade viscosity..............10.7 Centistokes
YamaLube 40 Grade viscosity...14.5 Centistokes
Difference in viscosity....................3.8 Centistokes

Take water which has the viscosity of 1 Centistokes yet water flowing
between the sphere and its shaped holder lifts a 9 ton ball slightly
where rotation can be accelerated by your hand and feels friction
less.. That is the power of flow which we have experienced as aqua
planning on the perverted highway...

If you wish to improve your race craft I recommend Kieth Code Twist of the Wrist 2...

TwistRist2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back