Asking for a oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! I'll get straight to the point... this forum is awesome! I've always heard of this forum referenced in other car forums but I never gave much thought to check you guys out, and wow! I should of a lot sooner... crazy amount of knowledge and smart people!

I just purchased a 2015 Nissan Versa S, base models of all base models. I really want to keep care of the Versa in every way possible. Especially keeping the engine running at its best. My owner's manual states that the OCI should be every 5,000 miles. I am totally cool with that, I am very handy with cars and have done countless oil changes for myself and others. Would it be best to dump the factory oil before 5k on the first oil change?

I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I currently drive an average of 10 miles a day, about 10k or a little more a year. Combination of city/highway. I like to drive moderately but I am not afraid to push the pedal to the metal when needed. I have not driven the Versa hard yet. The owner manual states that for the break in process:

During the first 1,200 miles (2,000 km), follow these recommendations to obtain maximum engine performance and ensure the future reliability and economy of your new vehicle. Failure to follow these recommendations may result in shortened engine life and reduced engine performance.

- Avoid driving for long periods at constant speed, either fast or slow, and do not run the engine over 4,000 rpm.
- Do not accelerate at full throttle in any gear.
- Avoid quick starts.
- Avoid hard braking as much as possible.

I have been following all of these "rules".

Drivetrain/Powertrain Information:

1.6-liter DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine (HR16DE)
109 hp @ 6,000 rpm
107 lb-ft @ 4,400 rpm
Emissions – Tier 2-Bin 5 (EPA); LEV2-LEV (CARB)
Dual injector system
Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS) on intake and exhaust valves
Nissan Direct Ignition System
Platinum-tipped spark plugs
Front engine/front-wheel drive
5-speed manual transmission

^^
I have no idea if you need all that lol

The owner manual states for recommended fluids/lubricants:

• 3-3/4 qt of oil
• Genuine NISSAN engine oil or equivalent
• Engine oil with API Certification Mark SN
• For additional information, refer to “Engine oil and oil filter recommendations” in this section.
• Viscosity SAE 5W-30
• As an alternative to this recommended oil, SAE 10W-30 conventional petroleum based oils may be used and meet all specifications and requirements necessary to maintain the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

I have contacted Nissan asking what "genuine Nissan engine oil" they were referring to and they said that Nissan does not package their own oil and that every dealership will have different oil. I asked then, what oil comes in the car from the factory... they proceed to tell me that the car arrives at the dealership dry and that they dealership fills it up. WRONG! They even "verified it".... lol whatever. So I call the dealership and they back me up on the call center being wrong. I asked if they had genuine Nissan engine oil and they said yes. They sell it in quarts and is labeled Nissan Engine Oil. It is a conventional 5W30. The part number is PN 999pk-005w30n. He said that Exxon Mobil makes the oil.

Now that I wrote you a novel... what oil should I be using to make sure that this engine runs at it's best for many years and keeps the inside nice and golden clean. OEM or other? I don't care what type of oil, what type of viscosity, or price.. just whatever is best for my situation.

Also, is it okay to use the OEM oil filter or other?

Thank you for your suggestions in advance!

I always dump the factory fill around 1500 miles. Some say that is wasteful.
From now till spring 5W30, then 10W30 for the warm weather just like your owner's manual says.

The engine should be an HR16de.....we use 5w30 or 10w30 but in a synthetic variant. Mobil 1, amsoil or Royal Purple are good choices.

I think just about any good full synthetic of the 5w30 year round or if you want to run a 10w30 in spring through winter. The 10w30 has a lower volatility than the 5w30. Pennzoil Platinum NOACK is 11 for 5w30 and 4.6 in the 10w30. Other oils are pretty much the same way too. I have run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Havoline Pro DS, Castrol w titanium gold bottle in my Nissan Altima. All have done just fine. Since you are in warranty obviously following the 5k miles interval is best way. All full synthetic oils and or conventional oils will work good for your car. Pennzoil yellow bottle, Valvoline white bottle, Castrol GTX, Mobil 1 super, Quaker State, Havoline, Formula Shell Supertech, all can run that 5k mile interval too. Havoline can be had at Walmart for $13.47 and Quaker State for $14.47 in 5 qt containers. Any API SN, ILSAC GF-5 oil will meet your car and my cars requirements. So you have lots of choices available. Get full synthetics on sale is easy to find too.

As far as your filter.... I don't know how much Nissan charges for their filters. But for my price of eggs I run a Fram Ultra. $8.97 at Wally world is hard to beat. I bet the Nissan dealership prices for the Nissan filters is higher than that. Plus the Fram Ultra has synthetic media, wire backed media, and efficiency of 99% greater than 20 microns. Guaranteed better than the Nissan filters. Obviously you are on point and going to keep all your receipts as well.
So finding sales on oils and using a very good filter like a Fram Ultra, Napa gold and or Purolator Synthetic will do you just fine. Like shooting fish in a barrel.
smile.gif

Nissan filters are "made in China" and look similar to Fram with fiber ends. They look OK but I have no idea what the efficiency is.

For 5k OCI's I'd probably just use a Wix or Napa Gold. Oil wise some group III synthetic from Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline (Napa), or Pennzoil would do just fine and keep things nice and clean. I'd run 5w-30 year round.

Wix/ Napa gold are both well over 8 dollars here in Chicago

5k OCI ? I'd go with a napa silver or Napa proselect
cheapest non tearolator with metal end caps

And I would run 5w30 all year
Save yourself the hassle

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

I hope you will dig in and enjoy some time reading, learning, and engaging in the discussions here.

my 2c'...

1st oil change between 1,200-1,500 miles, 2nd OC @ 5k miles, every 5k after that...

5w/30 year round
Pennzoil Gold w 5k OCI's
Fram Ultra every other OC

Yeah dumping the break in oil early should be good since any abrasive accumulation can be dumped out.

I would use the cheapest SN synthetic I could get my hands on like Supertech synthetic 5w30 or Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w30. Those cars aren't built to last forever, your engine won't be the problem for keeping it 10+ years.

I changed my oil when it hit 500 miles in my new car.

Mobil1 AFE (cheapest at walmart). Plus a bottle of LM MoS2 with your oil changes, that can be bought at NAPA, and use 1/2 bottle per OCI. MolyB is excellent!

Change your tranny fluid too and Redline is the best.

901Memphis stated Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w-30. Solid choice for sure! Walmarts store brand, Supertech would work as well but I do like to stick with name brand synthetic oils like Mobil1, Quaker State, Pennzoil and Valvoline. Why? It just lets me sleep better at night. I would just stick with the 5w-30 and not worry about 10w-30 especially since you live in a cooler climate.

If you stick to any oil and filter of the correct grade [SN -5W-30] you really can't go wrong.

MOST important is make sure you change the oil and filter regularly. Do not skip an oil/filter change or forget to check the oil level on a regular basis.

To uphold your warranty, I would change the oil every 5,000 miles. Also, there's no need to change your factory fill until 5,000 either.

For 5,000 mile OCIs, I would use any API SN conventional such as Pennzoil or Valvoline. I personally would probably do a synthetic blend every 5,000 buy conventional will do the job just fine.

OEM filters would be fine but not necessary.

Thats funny that the call center said they ship without oil. How do they get it from the container ship, to the distribution center, to the car hauler, to the dealership then?

I guess they just start it all of these times without oil
smile.gif

On topic. IMO, I would change the oil and filter after the breakin period and then run that to 5k and then normal changes. Your choice on fluid...at 5k it shouldn't matter.

Wow! Didn't expect all of these replies so fast! Thank you and alot of great suggestions!

Originally Posted By: LotI
Thats funny that the call center said they ship without oil. How do they get it from the container ship, to the distribution center, to the car hauler, to the dealership then?

I guess they just start it all of these times without oil
smile.gif

On topic. IMO, I would change the oil and filter after the breakin period and then run that to 5k and then normal changes. Your choice on fluid...at 5k it shouldn't matter.

Nor could I hardly understand anyone at the call center...

I've researched all of the suggestions you guys have given me and for the oil I am going to choose Quaker's State Full Synthetic Ultra Durability. I never used their products before but I am not finding any bad reviews and their warranty is awesome! It makes me want to take my car to 300k and beyond! Farthest I've gone with a car is 150k.

For oil filters I am going to use the Fram Ultra PN XG6607. I wish they offered a longer filter, there is plenty of room for one! Anyone have experience with a different part number fitting for this engine? Or can anyone point me into the right direction to finding out?

I am also going to dump the break in oil at 1,200 - 1,500. Here's too many happy OCI!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back