What oil for 2006 Lexus LS430?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a used 2006 LS430. Called the Lexus dealership in Dallas that did the first three oil changes and they said they used regular Mobil 5W-30. The Lexus place I took it to in Houston put in a Kendall synthetic blend. I have to have the oil changed every 5K to keep the powertrain warranty. I will only put 7K-8K miles a year on the car.

For the next oil change coming up (25,000 miles), should I go to a full synthetic like M1 or PP, or just use a regular oil like Mobil clean 5000 or Pennzoil YB. I plan to keep this car for a long time. Even after the warranty is out, I will still change the oil every 5K.

Thanks.

Do you drive it nicely, or do you intend to put it through its paces in Houston heat?

If reasonably, then I would use a high quality SM rated dino like Pennzoil Yellow Bottle or regular Mobil clean 5000.

If you intend to drive it like you stole it, even every once and a while in the Houston heat, then I would use a synthetic like M1.

Nice car by the way!
thumbsup2.gif

Any half decent oil will do. It's not like you need the cold weather performance, and you don't benifit from the longer drains because of your warranty. The only advantage a syn would give you would be better protection against overheating. But in an under-stressed engine I doubt that's a concern even in Houston.

Although I'm one of the 'champions' of dino oil for 5k; with a more expensive, 'upmarket' car like a Lexus, I'd spend the extra and use a synthetic.

Lexus V-8's are easy on oil, and you're only going 5k, so any synthetic 5W-30 you can get on sale woud work great - PP, Synpower, Syntec, M1...even Supertech synthetic. Once the warranty is up, you can easily go the full year on these oils as well.

I am liking valvoline syn and maxlife syn I my toyota v6.
I take my jug of valvoline to stealership and get an oil change for less than $20

I recently bought a 2001 LS430 for my wife. Very low mileage at 66k. The service record shows the dealer uses Chevron 5W30 dino. I peek through the filing hole. A black varnish coat. So I changed right away to M1 EP. I doubt Lexus V8 is easy on oil or at least not easy on dino.

Originally Posted By: Maxima97
I recently bought a 2001 LS430 for my wife. Very low mileage at 66k. The service record shows the dealer uses Chevron 5W30 dino. I peek through the filing hole. A black varnish coat. So I changed right away to M1 EP. I doubt Lexus V8 is easy on oil or at least not easy on dino.

There is no real evidence here to back you up. Lexii tend to be easy on oil per UOA's, and aren't known for being fussy at all.

A well engineered engine is never fussy about the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back