What oil for '19 Subaru WRX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by jbutch
There is an oil cooler on all 2014+ FXT, you screw the oil filter on top of it

It's pretty dirty in my FXT right now, but there is definitely a copper fitting below the crud metal cup the filter sits in...never looked at it closely enough to notice it was copper before.
Thanks for the info!

I'm not sure how that spot is getting much airflow and I'm surprised something that is maybe 2" high can be considered an oil cooler, but it must do something if they bothered to put it in there as copper is not cheap...I'll have to look again tomorrow, maybe there is a plastic guide running air across it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

It's pretty dirty in my FXT right now, but there is definitely a copper fitting below the crud metal cup the filter sits in...never looked at it closely enough to notice it was copper before.
Thanks for the info!

I'm not sure how that spot is getting much airflow and I'm surprised something that is maybe 2" high can be considered an oil cooler, but it must do something if they bothered to put it in there as copper is not cheap...I'll have to look again tomorrow, maybe there is a plastic guide running air across it.

It doesn't need to be big, because it is a water-cooled oil cooler
smile.gif
. I guess it is also an oil warmer!

smile.gif

My 4Runner has the same thing. I think it's more an oil warmer than cooler.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

Thanks for the info!

smile.gif

More good info, thank you...I will have to study the connections next time I have my car in the garage.
My daughter is home from college so she gets my spot and I get the street for a while...her friend is taking the driveway spot!

OP here. Thanks everyone for the replies and information.

I am going to wait until 3k for my first oil change instead of 1k after seeing multiple recommendations for that.

Also I am going to use PP 5w-30 with 4k OCIs. I'll send my oil out to get checked after the summer is over to see how the 5w-30 is holding up and see if I should go the 5w-40 Rotella route that so many people seem fond of. PP is cheaper but not drastically, but since the owners manual calls for 5w-30 I am going to give it a shot first instead of going directly to 5w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back