What oil do you use?

2019 Gti specced 0w20 was 5w30 VW504 because it was tuned.
2020 TTS was 5w30 504 per spec
2022 MK8 Gti is 508/509 Motul Specific.

To clarify, in the same brand. Of course there can be KV100 and HTHS differences between brands when comparing the same viscosity rating. But in the same brand and with the same VW spec, I'd bet a 5W-40 will have a higher KV100 and HTHS than a 5W-30.
I’m confused what is kv100 and HTHS?

I’m confused what is kv100 and HTHS?
KV100 is the Kinematic Viscosity at 100C. Most oil makers will give this number.
HTHS is the viscosity at 150C and high shear rate of 1M/sec (viscosity drops when hotter and shearing between parts). Some, but not all oil makers will give this number. HTHS is what counts the most when it comes to keeping moving parts separated and wear from parts contacting.
Typically, but not always, if the KV100 is higher so will be the HTHS - mostly if comparing same brand oils.

Last edited:
KV100 is the Kinematic Viscosity at 100C. Most oil makers will give this number.
HTHS is the viscosity at 150C and high shear rate of 1M/sec (viscosity drops when hotter and shearing between parts). Some, but not all oil makers will give this number. HTHS is what counts the most when it comes to keeping moving parts separated and wear from parts contacting.
Typically, but not always, if the KV100 is higher so will be the HTHS - mostly if comparing same brand oils.
So where do you stand on viscosity if both oils meet spec?

My three VAG cars have always been filled with these...just whatever I have on hand or feel like using at the time...

Castrol Edge 0/5W40
Rotella T6 5W40
LiquiMoly Molygen 5W40
Quaker State UD 5W40
Mobil1 HM 10W40
Valvoline Euro 5W40

2.8 BDF VR6 / 2.0TSI EA888.1 / 1.8TSI EA888.3

Just see what everyone with a VW is using for oil out there? I’ve got a 1.8 TSI and it needs to meet the VW 502 00 / 505 00 requirement. Do they like 5w30 vs 5w40 better?
mobil 1 0w40, great in the cold and still not too thin when hot. best of all worlds imo and it certainly meets the spec. same price as mobil 1 5w30 or 5w40 at walmart too

My choice is Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30. I like it because it is HTHS 3.5 and is ACEA C3, giving me piece of mind and excellent wear protection.

My three VAG cars have always been filled with these...just whatever I have on hand or feel like using at the time...

Castrol Edge 0/5W40
Rotella T6 5W40
LiquiMoly Molygen 5W40
Quaker State UD 5W40
Mobil1 HM 10W40
Valvoline Euro 5W40

2.8 BDF VR6 / 2.0TSI EA888.1 / 1.8TSI EA888.3
So no 5w30? The manual says either 5w30 or 40 is fine

Why? I’m new to this German craziness. Would a 40 be good in winter?
Again showing the importance of buying by the proper approval. As has already been explained, the approval dictates a minimum HT/HS which effectively and functionally makes the grade irrelevant.

And the winter rating is what classifies whether it is “good in winter”. If you’re starting above -30 or so then either a 5W or a 0W winter rating is proper. Below that then use a 0W.

It’s only as crazy as some uninformed people try and make it out to be. It’s actually very simple.

Again showing the importance of buying by the proper approval. As has already been explained, the approval dictates a minimum HT/HS which effectively and functionally makes the grade irrelevant.

And the winter rating is what classifies whether it is “good in winter”. If you’re starting above -30 or so then either a 5W or a 0W winter rating is proper. Below that then use a 0W.

It’s only as crazy as some uninformed people try and make it out to be. It’s actually very simple.
I’m coming from Japanese engines where all they care about is viscosity

Back