What oil do you use?

Just see what everyone with a VW is using for oil out there? I’ve got a 1.8 TSI and it needs to meet the VW 502 00 / 505 00 requirement. Do they like 5w30 vs 5w40 better?

VW 502 approved oils in any viscosity have a minimum HTHS of 3.5. So a VW 502 5W30 is thicker than a the typical 5W30 specified for American and Asian brands.

EDIT: I was all over the map when I had a GTI. BTW, my brother uses VW 504 in that GTI I sold him and it has in the high 180's on it. Original turbo, head gasket and timing chain. 5K intervals, not the 10K VW recommends.

VW 502 approved oils in any viscosity have a minimum HTHS of 3.5. So a VW 502 5W30 is thicker than a the typical 5W30 specified for American and Asian brands.
Which also renders the grade irrelevant. An engine isn’t going to “like” a 30 or a 40-grade with the approval any more or less than the other.

The easiest obtained is the euro spec Castrol 5w30 and the euro Valvoline 5w40 for me. Not sure which to use. Says Castrol on the oil fill cap but that’s paid for by Castrol

Which one is less expensive?

Castrol Edge 0W-40 is under $25 for five quarts at Walmart. I'd think that's the easiest to obtain.

Last edited:
Which also renders the grade irrelevant. An engine isn’t going to “like” a 30 or a 40-grade with the approval any more or less than the other.
A 5W-40 with the same spec still has higher HTHS than a 5W-30 in the same spec. I think that's more along the lines the OP is asking.

A 5W-40 with the same spec still has higher HTHS than a 5W-30 in the same spec. I think that's more along the lines the OP is asking.

Both are within the engines design requirements for normal use. If I was going to a track day or to run the Silver State Classic with elevated oil temps to be expected I would choose the higher HTHS option.

Maybe, right? But not necessarily, the KV can be the same but the HT/HS can be different. Somewhat dependent on the amount and type of VII. At least that’s what I thought.

1.8 TSI here and have run a variety of the 502 oils. Liquimoly products, M1, Quaker State, now High Performance Lubricants. Honestly in a normal daily driver application any of what you get at Wallyworld or the auto parts stores that is a Euro xW40 502 oil - Castrol, M1, Valvoline. If you want to order the LM kits online from the popular Euro parts vendors also easy but will cost a bit more than the ones I mentioned above unless you get into the FCP lifetime replacement deal then it will be free after the first change with some work. 30 vs. 40 is really just up to your preference just like 0 vs. 5 winter rating - they all have the same 502 approval. Remember 504 is reverse compatible so that opens up some other xW30 options.

1.8 TSI here and have run a variety of the 502 oils. Liquimoly products, M1, Quaker State, now High Performance Lubricants. Honestly in a normal daily driver application any of what you get at Wallyworld or the auto parts stores that is a Euro xW40 502 oil - Castrol, M1, Valvoline. If you want to order the LM kits online from the popular Euro parts vendors also easy but will cost a bit more than the ones I mentioned above unless you get into the FCP lifetime replacement deal then it will be free after the first change with some work. 30 vs. 40 is really just up to your preference just like 0 vs. 5 winter rating - they all have the same 502 approval. Remember 504 is reverse compatible so that opens up some other xW30 options.
The manual says it came with 5w40. Or 5w30 lol very confusing. Which would be better for all year use? I live in lower New England

The manual says it came with 5w40. Or 5w30 lol very confusing. Which would be better for all year use? I live in lower New England
Again...don't worry about viscosity. Approval. 502 is 502 and all compatible regardless of the 0 vs. 5W or the 30 vs. 40. It's not cold enough where you are to have issues with either. I'd say run a 0W40 that has the 502 approval like M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40.

Again...don't worry about viscosity. Approval. 502 is 502 and all compatible regardless of the 0 vs. 5W or the 30 vs. 40. It's not cold enough where you are to have issues with either. I'd say run a 0W40 that has the 502 approval like M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40.
Why 0 and not 5?

Why 0 and not 5?
B/c M1 0W40 is a v. popular high-quality oil...no other reason. It's likely not cold enough where you are to need the 0W...the 0 and 5 will essentially be "the same" or "interchangeable". So if your manual says 5W40 clearly that's what you seem to be gravitating towards....so many versions of it just get a 5W40 then. They all work in your car b/c they all have the same approval. I've used both but the 5W40s almost the whole time (1 change with M1 0W40 on this car....used it almost exclusively on my '00 Jetta that went 220K/14 years with me on 10K mile oil changes). You won't be able to tell the difference and neither will your car..hahaha

Maybe, right? But not necessarily, the KV can be the same but the HT/HS can be different. Somewhat dependent on the amount and type of VII. At least that’s what I thought.
To clarify, in the same brand. Of course there can be KV100 and HTHS differences between brands when comparing the same viscosity rating. But in the same brand and with the same VW spec, I'd bet a 5W-40 will have a higher KV100 and HTHS than a 5W-30.

Back