What oil are you running in your lawnmower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kohler 10W-30 while the weather is cooler, and when it gets hot this Summer will be using Briggs & Stratton SAE 30 that I bought cheap last year from Walmart on clearance. Was drinking PYB 10W-30 every mow, and consumption stopped after I started using the dual rated Kohler.

Originally Posted By: kohnen
This brings up an interesting topic: If anybody out there uses Blackstone for a Used Oil Analysis on their lawnmower oil, they've taken this BITOG thing to a whole new level!

Yep, got one last year on my Hustler ZTR

And forgot to add, I currently have some Peak 30wt in the walk behind mower (Some Troy built mower with a 6.75 HP B&S engine).
I bought 2-3 qts of 30 wt Valvoline White Bottle for future use, which will last me a few more years.

I think after that, I may swap over to HDEO or a xw-30 Syn.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
whatever I got left over from previous oil changes....

Mostly what I use is drip oil. Whatever is left out of every bottle/jug of oil, trans fluid, gear oil, marvel mystery oil, etc. Been doing it for 30 years.

Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W30 in push mower, riding mower, digger, pressure washer, etc.
Stihl hp ultra in the weedeater, chainsaw, blower, etc.

Supertech Synthetic 10w 30. Both push mowers and the lawn tractor spec 10w30 and Supertech goes on sale for 12 dollars per 5 quart jug. Cheep cheep :)

Valvoline 4T 20W-50 syn.
Three bucks a quart from AZ a couple of years back.
I'd used an orphan quart of M1 15W-50 in this old Tecumseh and decided that it seemed to run well with thick syns.

Originally Posted By: freshcopedawg
Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W30 in push mower, riding mower, digger, pressure washer, etc.
Stihl hp ultra in the weedeater, chainsaw, blower, etc.

My generator and the equipment I service for my parents all get Mobil1 HM. Mainly because that is what goes in my truck. I also use Stihl HP Ultra in my two-cycle stuff.

I bought some Rotella for the mowers for a season but I noticed a bit more shimmer than I got with the Honda oil so it's back to that for the Hondas...

In my Husqvarna 46" with 20hp Kohler been running $1/qt Castrol Edge 0w40 from AZ clearance a few years ago. Will use up the last of that stash this year.

I think that these 0w40 oils have about the same HTHS as the monograde sae 30 weights.

Last edited:
Well, I'm about to change the break in oil on mine and another family member's Husqvarna Z254 23HP Kawasaki zero turn mower. While deeply considering some Rotella T5 10W-30, I believe I'm just going to go with what I originally planned and use in everything else of mine, which is Rotella T6 5W-40. Whichever I go with, I'll run the same in the other one. I've just seen surprising UOA's of that T5 in stuff and really liked it. But, on the other hand, I know T6 does great, also, and I actually have experience with it and know it can take a beating (not saying this oil is taking a beating in these set ups, but just saying it can).

Meanwhile, I feel stupid and like I'm that guy who overdoes [censored], because I'm looking through comments and seeing Super Tech being used. But it is over a 750cc engine with 3x blades and mine literally goes through 3.5+ gallons in one sitting, so yeah, I guess I'm just here to say...

Mine will have T6 5W-40 in it before this time next week.

Now to decide whether to cross reference the filter... or go with the OEM Kawasaki filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back