What my tranny guy said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longer fluid life because full synthetics are more thermally stable, lower pour point of -60 F verses -25 F for dinos, and cooler running transmissions when pulling loads.

Anyone tried the Amsoil ATF in a Mitsubishi?

My car calls for the Mitsubishi ATF SP spec (which is hard to find). I do see it listed in the Amsoil product description but just wanna double check that it has passed the Mitsubishi ES-X64022SP2 standard. And real life experiences would also be useful.

Does anyone know what is the factory fill ATF for the 4L30E tranny? It's a sealed unit from the factory and does not have a recommended change for the ATF under normal conditions. Whatever ATF GM uses it must be good quality to last that long, right?

>>>Whatever ATF GM uses it must be good quality to last that long, right?

Right!!! And Volvo transmission fluid doesn't need to be changed (until the tranny is changed because the fluid oxidizes), etc!!! At least you can be reasonably sure it will last as long as the warranty

Well, it must last 120k, at least that's the powertrain warranty on my Isuzu Trooper, so I'd say it has to be a good ATF. It's easy to take a crack at GM (I'm not a big fan myself) but they do make some good trannies. There are people with 200k+ Troopers still on original tranny. FYI, I did change the ATF at 30k for good measure and it wasn't really bad, a bit discolored but not burned. I changed it with Havoline ATF which is probably of average quality so I was wondering what the factory fill was.

quote:

Originally posted by JB:
...My car calls for the Mitsubishi ATF SP spec (which is hard to find). I do see it listed in the Amsoil product description but just wanna double check that it has passed the Mitsubishi ES-X64022SP2 standard.

Your reference to the "SP" spec is somewhat confusing. Mitsubishi (and Hyundai and Kia) currently call in their owners' manuals for an ATF that meets "SP-III". Does your owner's manual state which Roman numeral designation is applicable for your transmission? Oops, sorry - I just noticed that "SP2" at the end of the full Mitsubishi alpha-numeric spec standard. I presume if you were to go to a Mitsubishi parts department, now, the current spec standard would probably end in, "SP3", since SP-II has been superceded. I would imagine that SP-III is backward compatible with SP-II and SP-I (just as the Dexron III spec is backward compatible with the prior Dexron specs). For what it's worth, I called around and the local Mitsubishi dealer in my area charges $6.40/qt. (US) for Mitsubishi Genuine ATF SP-III. The local Kia dealer charges $3.95/qt. for Kia SP-III ATF. Hyundai gets $5.40/qt. The label says "Hyundai", but uses the identical part number on the bottles as the Kia equivalent. The Kia bottle of ATF I bought for top-up states the fluid is made in the U.S. I'd love to know who their U.S. supplier is.

[ March 09, 2003, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Ray, thanks for making the calls and replying.

My car is an older model and calls for SP2 spec. Mine is made by Proton and costs about $4.50/qt.

Interesting...my 2002 Sportage calls for "M-III or Dextron IIE" for the auto tranny....

Maybe they weren't making as much money off their "special" ATF?

Although...my power steering calls for PSF-III. What the heck is that?
twak.gif

Imo a new oil pan is a waste, put an oil cooler, then run synthetic oil if you want to and change the oils on a schedule depending on how you run your vehicle more frequent is always better than not enough.

I have a 4R70W transmission and am wondering what type of amsoil fluid is to be used ? The Universal ATF as listed on the website ? How much is a quart and can you mix it with the mercon V or does the torque converter have to be drained also ? How many quarts would i be looking at for a complete change ??? thanks , Larry B.
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Larry B.:
I have a 4R70W transmission and am wondering what type of amsoil fluid is to be used ? The Universal ATF as listed on the website ? How much is a quart and can you mix it with the mercon V or does the torque converter have to be drained also ? How many quarts would i be looking at for a complete change ??? thanks , Larry B.
patriot.gif

Amsoil only makes one type of ATF and it is compatable with Mercon V and you can mix it. Ideally the converter should be drained if possible. Not familiar with your transmission as to quanity of fluid but a drain and fill as opposed to a flush uses about 50-60% of the total fluid capacity so if a 10 quart system I would purchase 5-6 quarts etc. The owners manual is an excellent guide to the capacity. As to cost, expensive, in the $7-$8/.quart range.

On the Fords with the torque converter drain plug, don't you remove 90+% of the ATF?...all that remains is the ATF in the cooler lines and the cooler, and that can be drained or blown out.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back