What makes Zerex Heavy Duty Extended Life (red or yellow) antifreeze only for heavy equipment? Is it G-05 compatible?

I've been using Zerex G-05 in pretty much everything for quite some time now. This is a thread I started about 9 years ago > (Is G-05, a good "one" coolant solution?) I haven't had any problems with it. It's coolant change season now, and I wonder what has changed in the last almost decade. In looking to buy my trusty Zerex G-05 concentrate, and I see for whatever reason, the Zerex Heavy Duty Extended Life coolant concentrates are much less expensive., and has a claimed longer service life, at least in the nitrate free formulation. It's available in yellow (nitrate free) and red (nitrated). They are clearly marketed to the heavy truck and equipment market, but what qualities would make these coolants inappropriate for passenger vehicles? Are either one of these a better choice than my existing G-05? Is either one compatible with G-05 if not fully flushed? How about with a complete flush? Thanks, I more curious than anything else.

I'm sure that there are proprietary additives and/or just a higher concentration of the normal ingredients.????:unsure:
But, I just don't know however it is an interesting topic. (y)

I believe the G-05 is a different type of coolant than the extended life and uses different technology, I believe the G05 is an HOAT and the extended is not. If I recall the extended service life can be stretched out with filtering and PH balancer whereas the G-05 cannot.
Best to confirm with the manufacturers rather than some random guy on the internet. (y)

I'll join the rest here with my layman opinion. 64bawagon is correct that the G05 is HOAT, while the Valvolene product is OAT. You don't want to mix those two together because they might gel or have other bad chemical interactions. The Valvolene PI sheet reminds me of the John Deere Coolgard II properties (I didn't compare the fine print). Both say they are suitable for gasoline engines and they both have longer use time compared to the G05. I have unsubstantiated old man bias against the additive 2EHA and wonder if the Valvolene has it. I know that the nitrite free thing started as a global requirement and the U.S. mfg. have been jumping on board.

My opinion is that the Valvolene product is a step up above the G05. It seems that many vehicle manufacturers have moved to OAT coolants, I.E. Chrylser/FCA/Stelantis has their 10 year purple OAT coolant.

FYI, I just looked up the MSDS on both the Zerex G05 and Zerex HD ELC Nitrite free.

G05 lists ;
  1. ETHYLENE GLYCOL
  2. DIETHYLENE GLYCOL
  3. SODIUM BENZOATE
  4. DISODIUM TETRABORATE
  5. SODIUM NITRITE
HD-NF lists;
  1. ETHYLENE GLYCOL
  2. DECANEDIOIC ACID, DISODIUM SALT
  3. DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE

Wouldn't 2-EHA (2-Ethylhexyl acrylate) show up the MSDS if it was in the product?

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, I just looked up the MSDS on both the Zerex G05 and Zerex HD ELC Nitrite free.

G05 lists ;
  1. ETHYLENE GLYCOL
  2. DIETHYLENE GLYCOL
  3. SODIUM BENZOATE
  4. DISODIUM TETRABORATE
  5. SODIUM NITRITE
HD-NF lists;
  1. ETHYLENE GLYCOL
  2. DECANEDIOIC ACID, DISODIUM SALT
  3. DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE

Wouldn't 2-EHA (2-Ethylhexyl acrylate) show up the MSDS if it was in the product?
2-EHA is listed as a hazardous chemical, so it needs to be on a SDS. CCI was able to list the inhibitors as trade secret.

G-05 uses silicate and benzoic acid(sodium benzoate). The Zerex HD-NF uses sebacate (decanedioic acid, sodium salt) and phosphate(dipotassium phosphate), much like a Japanese/Korean pHOAT. In theory, G-05 could mix with the Zerex HD-NF but Mopar did put out a TSB not to mix G-05 and their current OAT coolant IIRC.

I thought it might be useful to see the differences in the MSDS sheets between the 6 products that Zerex puts in the Heavy Duty coolant category. They all have Ethylene Glycol, so for brevity I'll not list that. The first link should go to the detailed product information sheet, the second to the MSDS sheet. Hopefully it works. The Zerex antifreeze homepage is here . Oddly enough, the Red Nitrite Free doesn't show until you look at the yellow NF. I repeated the two I listed earlier so everything is in one hopefully useful post. I really like how Zerex shows their testing results in detail.

Zerex G-05
MSDS
  1. Diethylene Glycol
  2. Sodium Benzoate
  3. Disodium Tetraborate
  4. Sodium Nitrite
Zerex HD ELC Red
MSDS
  1. Potassium Hydroxide
  2. Sodium Nitrite

Zerex HD Nitrite Free ELC Yellow
MSDS