What Make and Model of Car . . . ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Either you got a lemon or have the worst luck in the world!

I do have very bad luck with vehicles. I love cars and trucks, and I take very good care of mine. But I've never had vehicles that would last very long since I started driving in 1987. And I don't drive them hard either: gentle acceleration, easy cornering, and observing speed limits mostly. My 2006 Accord from the other thread (t-belt disaster) was my best car, but you know how that story went.

Here's a really odd thing, Mr. Clinebarger: I had a premonition three or four years ago that my beloved Accord would die from a broken timing belt. About 2015 or 2016 my wife says I began talking about how concerned I was about the timing belt design in the Accord. She said she had never known anyone who worried about a timing belt breaking as much as I did. Then on a Friday in October 2019 my timing belt was shredded and I lost the car.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
My old 1993 Toyota 4WD Base Pickup is still going strong with over 350K miles.
It has been slaving away in Gig Harbor, WA for the last 15 years, or thereabouts.

Our 2001 Tundra is perfect and has just shy of 200K; I never check the oil; just change it yearly.

Both trucks have never seen the inside of a garage.

Only takes a few minutes to check the dipstick. May find it LOW one time.

Originally Posted by CrackyWainwright
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Either you got a lemon or have the worst luck in the world!

I do have very bad luck with vehicles. I love cars and trucks, and I take very good care of mine. But I've never had vehicles that would last very long since I started driving in 1987. And I don't drive them hard either: gentle acceleration, easy cornering, and observing speed limits mostly. My 2006 Accord from the other thread (t-belt disaster) was my best car, but you know how that story went.

Here's a really odd thing, Mr. Clinebarger: I had a premonition three or four years ago that my beloved Accord would die from a broken timing belt. About 2015 or 2016 my wife says I began talking about how concerned I was about the timing belt design in the Accord. She said she had never known anyone who worried about a timing belt breaking as much as I did. Then on a Friday in October 2019 my timing belt was shredded and I lost the car.

No judgement here....I've had some lemons myself along with bad luck. The most reliable vehicles I've ever owned are ones that would probably be seen as JUNK by many on this board!

But you posted that it wasn't a broken timing belt and it didn't "shred" causing the failure? It was the tensioner pulley bolt.

Originally Posted by kschachn

But you posted that it wasn't a broken timing belt and it didn't "shred" causing the failure? It was the tensioner pulley bolt.

Yes, the belt did come to pieces according to the buyer of the car. He said the tensioner pulley nut loosened to the point that the belt did come off and was broken. Perhaps "shred" is too severe of a word (he messaged me with info but sent no photos of the broken belt). One faulty part caused the belt breakage. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in prior posts.

Last edited:
Come on guys...Pick a vehicle made today not one made 20 or more years ago.

Do you guys think any of the current sub-2 liter turbo engines pushing around an AWD can go 300k miles on just oil changes, plugs, and coils?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Do you guys think any of the current sub-2 liter turbo engines pushing around an AWD can go 300k miles on just oil changes, plugs, and coils?

How would you know? How many vehicles "made today" have gone over 300,000 miles? That takes time.

My Liberty is at 206k, has been lifted with bigger tires since 80k. Had to have the tranny rebuilt, at 155k. otherwise just normal maintenance. My LR3 is at 186k, again with just normal maintenance. Neither have ever left me stranded.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

How would you know? How many vehicles "made today" have gone over 300,000 miles? That takes time.

Well know a certain representative of an automaker was quoted as saying that modern 4-cylinder engines are designed to reach approx 200k-250k miles and even though their current 4 cylinders can't go 300k miles or more like their previous generations, they'll still outlast the competition.
21.gif

Hmm... most of my cars ran better when I sold them. I have always bought good used cars with a few minor issues and got a good price. Fixed the issues, drove them for many years without issues and sold then when I needed or wanted to. The Tacoma is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned.
1972 AMC Gremlin 4.2L (258 cid)
1965 Mustang 200 cid six
1967 Mustang 200 cid six
1992 Ford Thunderbird 3.8
1986 Mazda B2000 pickup (250k, totally clapped out)
2006 Toyota Tacoma 2.7
1995 Corvette (RIP)
1995 Corvette

Originally Posted by Boomer
I drive about 9-10000 miles a year. No way I would want to keep a car 20-22 years .. BORING!

Boring, NOT! 36 yrs as my DD at 240K. I can see why you wouldn't, VW;s

IMG_0030.JPG

Well all right, it is hard to argue against whispers in a bar as opposed to historical longevity.

It's a quote not a whisper.

2004 - 2007 Honda Accord, bullet proof engines. Last 300k miles easily with basic maintenance. But they do burn some oil by nature.

Yep … BiL's 2002 Silverado did 400k on Mobil Super and BG transmission flushes …
Other: brakes, tires, front wheel bearings

01 Volvo S60 t5 sold at 256k and I still see it running around. 03 altima that never had the broken cat issue, used no oil at 176k and would have easily reached 200k. Then a deer committed suicide and broke my heart and car. I've owned other high mileage autos but those were the ones I purchased new and were near and dear.

Originally Posted by Malo83
Originally Posted by Boomer
I drive about 9-10000 miles a year. No way I would want to keep a car 20-22 years .. BORING!

Boring, NOT! 36 yrs as my DD at 240K. I can see why you wouldn't, VW;s

Nice! Nothing like the smell of a carbed engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back