What Make and Model of Car . . . ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this Jetta diesel
[Linked Image from fototime.com]

and a Jeep diesel getting close
[Linked Image from fototime.com]

[q
I think you can get a Corolla built in Japan but expect to pay $5,000 extra or more for it. Get oil analyze at first oil change. If a lot of metal shows up, etc take it back and demand a new car.[/quote]
Like that is going to happen

How old is it? Jetta's are now getting a thumbs down. Made in Germany or elsewhere?

Somebody recommended a Cmax. My wife has one. She drives 90 MPH to work on the toll road and speed limit on the feeder coming home. That thing gets 39 MPG overall from day one. She did the math and that's what she got. Takes off really fast if you need to. Don't know about 300,000 miles. She trades in before 90,000 miles.

I would not recommend German anymore, unless it is made in Germany. BMW and others quality is going down now days. How about Bugatti Veyron. Engineered in Germany. Assembled in France. $21,000 oil change. Takes 21 hours to change the oil. You have to take it half way apart to change the oil. That's not good engineering. Germans have their good points, but some of the stunts they pull in regards to maintenance make you wonder.

Originally Posted by CrackyWainwright
Our 1998 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 V6 looked great but was mechanically worn out at 200,000 miles: burned oil badly, front end wore tires like a maniac despite several alignments, transmission was making a whine, and it had developed an alarming knock or tick in the engine during the first few minutes of operation when it was cold. I never even took that truck into the mud.

Originally Posted by Srt20
I think you need a better mechanic. I cant think of any vehicles that CANT make 200k with just basic maintenance.

At least that Tacoma front end could have been diagnosed and fixed by ANY competent shop. I agree you may have a mechanic competency problem.

I bought an '03 Olds Alero with less than 12k miles on the odometer. Consumer Reports had listed the Olds Alero as a Not Recommended used car. But I bought it anyway because the price was fair and my wife liked it. It was an Avis car, so no loving care before I bought it.

I drove it to 229,000 miles before I tired of it, and got the itch for a new car. It still ran great. Not a spot of rust on the body. The only thing wrong with the interior was the padded vinyl covering had peeled off of the passenger airbag door. So I painted the door to match the dash. Engine and tranny were still running strong when I sold to to a 16 year old neighbor gal. She still drives it.

It took some work to keep it on the road. I replaced wheel bearings, an a/c compressor, had the head gaskets replaced, put in a new O2 sensor, replaced a fuel pump, replaced a fuel rail pressure regulator. And I'm sure there are a few other items that I can't recall. My point is that no one I have ever known gets a car to 200k + miles without doing more than changing fluids and putting on new tires and brakes. I've read a lot of articles on people that have put a million plus miles on cars. They all have put parts into them.

One of the most well known is a man who drove an Accord for his work car to visit clients. Since his business was helping others set up preventative maintenance for their plants, he decided to put into practice what he taught. The Camry made it a million miles, but not without replacing things. I can't remember it all, but I do remember that he replaced the driver's seat 2 or 3 times. Things wear out.

Last edited:
My 1997 7.3 PSD has almost 320k. My old 1993 Bronco I had with the 351W had over 250k when I sold it a few years ago. I fully expect my 2003 Taurus to make it past 200k (has 159k now, so fingers crossed). Sounds like you've just some bad luck. Also, my brother just picked up a 2002 F150 with 227k, and looks like it's in excellent shape for the mileage. We will see how long it goes!

Originally Posted by Danno
Tacoma with 2.7L and 5-speed manual comes to mind.

This would be good for decades of running. Great combo.

The only vehicles I've seen that won't make it 200k were poorly maintained.

Any vehicle that has the oil changed often, transmission and other drive components serviced at least once or twice should make it to 200k easy, especially with your highway usage.

See my Mazda listed below. Its biggest repairs were transmission bearings at ~350k miles, and a rebuilt head at 476402 due to erosion of coolant passages, not wear.

My brother put ~330k on an '85 Jetta, which was still running fine, although the odometer and manual shift linkage were kaput.
He has a '95 Avalon with near 350k now, still running like new on original engine and transmission. Needs paint, though.

The OP described the easiest driving you can do on a car. Get something mid sized or larger. Small cars don't last. Look for a lightly optioned , slightly underpowered car and drive it like grandma if you want it to last.

I have yet to own a car in the past 25 years that didn't make it to 250K, except when we sold ours for other reasons (too small, etc.)
F150's and Silverado's last a long time. Just expect to rebuild the transmission once or twice.
Crown Vic's were great too. Fusion Hybrids last a long time.
Nissan's with a V6 and no CVT, which are their luxury sedans these days.
Prius's last a long time. You'll never wear out the battery with highway miles. 4 cyl Camrys are great too. My Mom has a 22 year old Camry that looked brand new and ran like it was a year old.
Honda and Toyota minivans routinely exceed 200K.
Newer Subarus for AWD. Avoid Audi because of repair costs, but they are fairly reliable.

I've found that most cars start to have some problems past 12 yrs old. Rubber fails in hot climates. Corrosion in snowy areas and by the ocean. Suspensions everywhere with crappy roads, etc. But at a certain point you stop fixing all but essential things and save up for the next vehicle.

Stay away from the European brands and Chrysler, they are too expensive to fix or break too often. Every brand has some weak points, excepting Toyota.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by CrackyWainwright
What make and model of car with normal maintenance will go to 300,000 miles? I drive mostly highway miles; I set the cruise on 61 mph and drive 64 miles round trip five days per week.

HMMM, perfect case for a hybrid.

Ford C-Max
Chevy Volt
Toyota Prius

Couple more:

old style Ford Fusion or Ford Fusion Hybrid
or it's luxury brother, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

200k is the new 100k. I have an 84 mercedes 300d with about 270k original engine and transmission, 02 accord with 218k on at least its second transmission, 00 lexus with 190k which burns no oil original engine and transmission, 98 ranger with close to 180k original engine and transmission. I think toyota or honda will be able to easily make 200k with general maintenance.

We made Hyundai take it back. They really drug their heels. We went through 3 of their loaners until a new one showed up. Penske owns 1/3 of all dealerships in the country. Exxon sits on their board of directors. Wonder if that's why MPG has not significantly increased.

Originally Posted by borgward
We made Hyundai take it back. They really drug their heels. We went through 3 of their loaners until a new one showed up. Penske owns 1/3 of all dealerships in the country. Exxon sits on their board of directors. Wonder if that's why MPG has not significantly increased.

There was a carburetor invented in the 1970's that got 100 MPG. The oil companies bought the patent and destroyed it. Believe me, that I can tell you.
50.gif

just as someone has already said to OP, only a few cars won't get you to 200K mark these days with little maintenance

Case in point, my 02 Corolla drove to 230K miles before I sold it; I have seen the car on multiple occasions around my town after I sold it

now my M6 it is the same condition with the same miles; in essence, both cars have driven great even with that high miles

You wore out a Toyota 5VZ-FE is 200,000 miles?.......Either you got a lemon or have the worst luck in the world! I don't go around bragging about Toyota.....But that is one stout/long lasting engine!

The OP asked what cars can make 300k with normal maintenance. Tires, brakes, shocks, water pumps, batteries, ball joints, etc. are normal maintenance. Replacing transmissions and rebuilding heads are not. Anything can go 300k if you fix whatever breaks and drive on.

Respect to those who do it but I can't imagine keeping a car for 200,000 or more miles. Our goal is to keep this '14 RAV4 for 10 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back