What made you buy a new lawn mower?

The old Craftsman DGT6000 lawn tractor shredded another drive belt (it was a year old), the output shaft/rear main seal was leaking like crazy, and it did this thing where if you hit a slight bump while at max mowing speed (not top speed) it would bog way down, blow a bunch of black smoke, and if you weren’t quick on the speed lever it would die out. Oh, the seat cushion separated from the plastic, so it was supremely uncomfortable to use.

5 year old 56V EGO self-propelled mower. Bought it when we moved into the house. Only mod was a high-lift blade installed instead of the mulching blade it came with, since the mulching blade produced very little vacuum effect. 7.5 Amp battery died just before 3 years old, so it was replaced under warranty.

I had a second place with acreage. At both places I had old push lawn mowers for trimming. When I sold house #1 I decided it was time to get
rid of the old push mowers and just get a super recycler. It was self propelled and lighter then what I was using before. I has a lot of getting from point a to b traveling and the self propelled works great for that. Also being lighter was easier for ditch and pond trimming.

I wanted an electric mower. I have 2 gas mowers, a Lawnboy 2 stroke and a Snapper Commercial. Glad I did it! The Toro Electric is EPIC.

moved to the city :-(
My ZTR was no longer needed...although I could have cut my grass in less time than it took to read this sentence.

Funny...we are fencing in the back yard, and the guy doing a quote asked me if I owned a large riding mower. Um...I have 0.25 acres, half covered with house, patio, and driveway...why on Earth would I need a "large riding mower"??

moved to the city :-(
My ZTR was no longer needed...although I could have cut my grass in less time than it took to read this sentence.

Funny...we are fencing in the back yard, and the guy doing a quote asked me if I owned a large riding mower. Um...I have 0.25 acres, half covered with house, patio, and driveway...why on Earth would I need a "large riding mower"??
You'd be surprised how many people have riding mowers where in my opinion it would actually be easier to mow with a push/walk behind mower.

What made me buy the latest push mower (maybe 3 or 4 years ago now) was my wife bent the shaft of our old one by hitting a stump. We had a Toro zero turn that I sold last year because it didn't cut (especially mulch) very well. We bought a used Simplicity Regent tractor style with bagger which is nice for the leaves in the fall. It runs pretty good but I definitely miss the ease of the zero turn. The Simplicity also takes double the time to mow.

15 yo 23 hp Briggs Craftsman lawn tractor suddenly started leaking profusely from the crankcase gasket. It gave me a good excuse to buy a zero-t.

My 2007 flathead Super Recycler still starts on the first pull (No work ever done to the carburetor).

Back