What made you buy a new lawn mower?

Haven't bought a new mower in years (currently a 24 y.o. Honda pusher) but when I did, I wanted a quiet-running mower to replace the Briggs/Stratton Craftsman. Also wanted a mulching blade.

Had a Lawn Boy with a Tecumseh engine for 17 years. Was a steel deck and rotted out multiple places. Got tired of fabricating aluminum plates for it. It more than paid for itself over the years. Besides the carb needing cleaned once on the engine --- that engine started first pull EVERY TIME every year. Replaced with a Husqvarna mower with a Honda GCV 160 engine that is rear wheel driven.

Was using a push mower for trimming and got tired of pushing. Bought self propelled Lawn Boy. Mine works great.

So I have a Kubota 1670. 21 yrs old. The replacement is between $6000 to $7000. My machine runs and performs like brand new. The mower deck was rusting out, so for $300 i had the deck patched, I replaced a few pulleys and bearings. Another $100. And for another $20 I painted the underside of the deck to slow down the rust. I expect to get another 20 yrs. I love this machine. BUY QUALITY AND FIX IT AND KEEP IT RUNNING LIKE NEW!

Comfort and time savings were the driving factors for me in purchasing a new mower. My John Deere 165 Hydro (still have) only has a 38” deck and took 3.5-4 hours to mow the yard, add in no back support and I just got tired of it beating me up every 4-7 days. Replaced it with a new Cub Cadet XT3 with 54” deck last year and couldn’t be happier. Now I can do all of my riding mower work 2.25-2.5 hours. Big time saver! The power steering and full back seat have made a world of difference in comfort.

Old mower
2B005C3D-1455-4C61-8B1A-769B2D872D0C.jpeg

New mower
49BA793C-D1D4-4760-91A4-1FC855D102B6.jpeg

Bought a cheapo Remington to replace my 9 years old Troy bilt. The Honda GCV160 was smoking like no tomorrow since 2 years . At start up a puff a blue smoke as big as one from a locomotive , this engine was polluting more than my f150 3.5 eco.

Since I bought a small riding mower TB30r I dont really need an expensive push behind mower hence the cheapo Remington 140 powermore engine . This engine cant be much worst that the honda after 6 years , did i need to say that Honda didnt impress me ... and yes i was taking care of it

Just finished my 17th season with my 6.75 hp Briggs powered Craftsman and I think it's time for a new push mower. The first 11 years I had it, I ran it hard. This thing has been great and owes me absolutely nothing but the wheels and body are falling apart. I've got my eye on a Toro next Spring. Might keep the old Craftsman around to mow the bike path behind the property to keep the snakes out.

The last mower I purchased was a Husqvarna Rider 322T All Wheel Drive in 2015. I purchased my home in 2003. I have five acres, about 3 1/2 acres are mowed. About 1/2 of the mowed area is pretty steep hills. The person we bought the house from left us with a Sears garden tractor with a manual transmission. Needless to say it was well used.
Problem was that it would slide down the hills even with tire chains on. I gave it to my son-in-law around 2008 when the brake went out on it.
Purchased another Sears garden tractor that year and continued sliding down the hills until 2015 when the Kohler engine blew a head gasket.
In 2015, I purchased the Husky and have been very happy with it so far. Love the lift up front deck for cleaning. No more sliding down the hills.
I have just over 400 hours on it now.

I have one on order because my little rider is almost 40 years old and needs to retire. It also takes me 6 or so hrs to mow my yard.

Should be here next October, November. Just in time to not need it.

New zero turn because I maintain my neighbor's 1.5 to 2 acres with probably 40 trees and several structures and got really tired of doing it with a garden tractor style rider. The 7 extra ponies and warranty are an added bonus

Great thread Snag … on a pattern of lawn tractors at 8 years old. I travel and my wife will mow - but no chance she can sort problems - 42” is a bit over, BUT - holds plenty gas - she only starts/rides ! At that point now on a Sears/Husky that’s great. Briggs is running perfect …

Biggest issue: blade bearings getting louder but not shaking - see some guys online drill/tap and install a grease fitting

Anyone had luck with that ?

Great thread Snag … on a pattern of lawn tractors at 8 years old. I travel and my wife will mow - but no chance she can sort problems - 42” is a bit over, BUT - holds plenty gas - she only starts/rides ! At that point now on a Sears/Husky that’s great. Briggs is running perfect …

Biggest issue: blade bearings getting louder but not shaking - see some guys online drill/tap and install a grease fitting

If the spindles are getting louder, grease fittings and grease aren’t going to help. The spindles need to be rebuilt or replaced.

I put new greaseable spindles on my LT150. If I had to do it again I would have just replaced the bearings. The bearings on most spindles are sealed so greasing them does nothing. On my new spindles I removed the inside seals to allow grease into the bearings. I’ve mowed all year with good luck. If this plan doesn’t last I’ll put new bearings in the spindles and leave the seals alone.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: 4WD
My old John Deere push mower after 25 years finally started fouling spark plugs so badly that I could not complete a mowing without stopping to clean the plugs 2 -3 times. I decided it was time to change. Bought a Craftsman with a Honda engine that starts on the first pull every time and puts out a lot less fumes so I don't stink when I am finished mowing.

My old John Deere push mower after 25 years finally started fouling spark plugs so badly that I could not complete a mowing without stopping to clean the plugs 2 -3 times. I decided it was time to change. Bought a Craftsman with a Honda engine that starts on the first pull every time and puts out a lot less fumes so I don't stink when I am finished mowing.

I have a JS36 that’s about 12 years old. It has a B&S on it. It’s had nothing but M1 5w30 in it until a couple years ago. It started using oil like crazy as well. Maybe not as bad as your mower but still…

Last year I changed the oil to M1 10w30 HM and consumption almost went away. This year I used ST 10w30 FS HM and again almost no consumption. Seems like my mower likes a little thicker oil.

FWIW, This bad boy has cut 2 or 3 yards a couple of times per week until last year. I’ve had good luck with it so I bought a used LT150 last spring. My son still uses the JS36 to cut the neighbors lawn.

Just my $0.02

I had a perfectly good Honda mower and I hit the buffalo box shutoff stand. The crank was bent about 10° to the side. Replace the engine with another Honda replacement engine and now I don't get within a couple feet of the shutoff.
Sweetgum roots like to bend cranks too.

I have a Mad Max looking, 20 ish year old Murray / BS that is the best mower I've ever owned, $100 from Wal-Mart.
When it hunts, I put a $5 carb/vacuum pump diaphragm kit in it, and it just goes on - auto throttle, 3 pushes 1 pull starts
Probably my 10th mower of my life, and I literally love it - so much I rebuilt with sheet metal the 2 corners that rusted out.

I can remember my first, my Dad gave me his 60's Craftsman with aluminum deck, wind up and slam the handle down - why on earth not all aluminum now?

Now that I'm 65 I know how to buy a mower... what a shame!
We had the identical mower when I learned to mow......I have nightmares about that wind up spring. Our spring finally rusted through......

Back