What made you buy a new lawn mower?

My parents bought a self propelled craftsman mower in 2008 that had a Briggs on it that lasted for 11 years with one oil change which was done in 2018. The mower started to smoke over that season and eventually gave up in the spring of 2019. Tried to get it to start but we were thinking it lost compression. I decided as a mothers day/birthday gift get the same Troy Bilt equivalent for my Mom. It stated on the box that it was assembled in Mississippi and the engine said "Built in the USA with Global Parts" so that was the deciding factor to go "New" rather than used.

Had a 20-year-old Craftsman that I've been fighting for the past few years. Even with a new carb, fuel line, and plug, it would still take far too many pulls to start. The engine also surged up and down. It lost its balls in the thick portions of my lawn and would constantly die out. Also needed a new belt and new front wheels for the self-propel. I just got tired of it all.

Bought a 60v Toro with Personal Pace. I love this mower. No more cords to pull. Plug in the battery and go.

I bought my first mower 15 yrs ago without knowing/caring about my lawn. Was a box store rebranded MTD, big rear wheel and no self propel. Had a bagger for leaves was my only requirement.

When we moved into the new house 3 years ago, I wanted self propel for the bigger yard. Challenged myself to pick up a freebie and fix it. Then learned about Honda's and Toro's. Flipped my way thru about a dozen mowers that 1st year, on my way up to a SR4 Super Recycler. Then kept finding SR4's, so I would flip them, keeping the better one/newer one for myself and getting rid of what was my personal mower. Went through 7 SR4's.

Last year, I joked to my in-laws about wanting a Timemaster for father's day. To my surprise, one showed up on my door step the week after.

So in short, I haven't bought a mower in almost 15 years.

Instead of buying a new mower to replace my 1977 Lawn Boy, I built a new one from NOS parts.

Attachments

• Twin 7024s.gif
    Twin 7024s.gif
    491.5 KB · Views: 51
have had a Deere LX 255 for 21 years now , had to buy a new pusher two years ago because my early 1980"s MTD gave up the ghost, replaced it with a cheapo from Walmart

Snapper walk behind, 1983-ish. Now on third engine. Six speed self-propel. We will grow old together.
Last repower was 2008-ish. Real estate crater meant a neighbor ran away & left a 'broken' mower
at the curb for trash/recycle people. I found a loose blade, plugged air filter, fouled plug.
Spent less than 20 on a plug & paper filter element, bolted the B&S onto my Snapper, (old 3.75hp B&S smoked).
We've been together since. think it's rated at 6.5hp. Self-governed.

My $50 Craigslist 22 in Toro Recycler with Kohler power had no bagging attachment, and a bag costs $130, so I bought another Recycler with Briggs power and a bagger for $100 , used them back to back for a couple of weeks, then sold the Kohler powered one for $40, kept the Briggs that just seemed like it was in better shape.

I bought the new ZTR to replace a 40 year old Cub Cadet that was my Grandfathers, then parents, then mine, and now my sons to use.

Plus it was our anniversary and I wanted to give my wife an nice gift for putting up with me. Strange she has never used it yet. 🤣

I have a Mad Max looking, 20 ish year old Murray / BS that is the best mower I've ever owned, $100 from Wal-Mart.
When it hunts, I put a $5 carb/vacuum pump diaphragm kit in it, and it just goes on - auto throttle, 3 pushes 1 pull starts
Probably my 10th mower of my life, and I literally love it - so much I rebuilt with sheet metal the 2 corners that rusted out.

I can remember my first, my Dad gave me his 60's Craftsman with aluminum deck, wind up and slam the handle down - why on earth not all aluminum now?

Now that I'm 65 I know how to buy a mower... what a shame!

I got tried of tyring to keep my old one running, had it for about 6 years, and it almost took off a couple of my fingers , so went from a B&S to a Toro w/ Honda engine.

My son needed a new mower so I gave him my 10 year old Sears mower and bought myself a new Makita battery powered mower with 2 free batteries.

1st mower I had was gifted to me by my FIL, it was already on its last leg but I kept it for a couple of years.
2nd mower I took it to my moms lake house to mow the steep banks, it is 20 years old and still runs perfect
3rd mower piece of junk Lawn Boy self propelled that I'm gonna look to replace soon. Its about 5 years old and I hate that thing with a passion.

Back