What lubricant for hedge trimmer blades?

What’s the best lubricant to use on hedge/shrubbery trimmer blades? I’ve heard of people using WD40 but that doesn’t seem to be much lubrication for that kind of metal to metal contact.

Last time I lubed my Hedge Clipper with WD-40, it came off on the Shrubs and killed some leaved.

Next time I may try some type of Dry Lubricant.

But in all honesty, I usually don't lube them.

On electric trimmers, I use motor oil, whatever is leftover from the snowblower. I oil the bar good, run it for 15 seconds, then lay it on its side and let the excess run/drip off for a while. Then wipe it down quickly with a rag and go.

For years I used any random 5W-30 in an old school, metal pump style oil can, then decided that was too much of a pain to hit every tooth, nook, and crannies individually, so now 0W-20 in a trigger pump style sprayer bottle. It is important to do as mrsilv04 wrote, to spray excess, run it a moment, let excess drip off and wipe it. That will not only lube but also work some grime out.

I never noticed any significant problem with leaves not liking the motor oil but you could use mineral oil if you wanted to.

WD-40 or gasoline would be better to flush it all out at end of season before lubing it again for storage, unless it's due to have the blade assembly taken apart (if that's also how you sharpen instead of put together, can depend on tooth density which is easier) and cleaned while apart, unless it's one of those electric disposables where the blades are riveted together.

Last edited:
Remember....WD 40...The WD stands for Water Displacement. That is its original purpose and we in the real world have found all types of uses for it. But the real purpose is always water displacement.

I have spray oil for hinges in the house, some cheap brand. Have used motor oil and chainsaw lube, even used motor oil. Just keep from rusting and galling, olive oil would work.

Rod

fluid film.

if they are really crusty from pine type cutting I will soak it down with wd-40 let dry then reapply fluid film.

Fluid film actually lists hedge trimmer on the can.

Lately I've been using the WD40, mainly because I bought the gallon can and keep some in a spray bottle. I just spray the bar every 15 to 30 minutes when using it. A good thing is that it does a great job of keeping the bar clean. I just have a low end Weedeater hedge trimmer, but it has served me well.

recommended by little wonder -the worlds finest electric hedge trimmer -is 50-50 motor oil and kerosene. and who gives a dam if the leaves get harmed. let the owner trim the hedge himself .

I use any random motor oil that I have laying around the garage. I put it in a trigger type oiling can.
Doesn’t matter if it’s 20/50, 5/30, 10/30 or 15/50.
I keep the oiling can filled up with leftover new oil from oil changes.
I also use the same oil in the oil reservoir of my chainsaw.

Back