What kind of watches do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had two Submariners, one the 660ft one and a 1000ft one. Wish I'd kept the older one. Also owned an Explorer I and a Breitling way back. Now a 2nd hand Seiko Kinetic I picked up for $A200. By far the best timekeeper though.

-

Extremely accurate.

I am also a wrist timepiece fan. Thanks to shortyb for his response
cheers.gif

My best is an original Heuer Professional 200 Meter(before TAG) base model, 1982, with a gray leather band. It still works. I bought it after a jewelery expert told me to not buy a Rolex if I wanted a superior timepiece at a good price. Sent it to the factory for a new cristal and crown in 1995. I also have the TAG Heuer Professional 200 meter glass filled epoxy case model I use for water sports. My everyday watch is a Citizen Titanium solar-tech 180 (I got lazy about changing batteries!).

Al, that is a nice looking watch. If my Seiko ever wears out and I am not a rich man I might get one of those Swiss Army watches.

Personally, I never became too excited about the digital watches. I always liked Arabic numerals.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:

So my brother has had his watch for something like 24 years at least and I have had my watch for at least 14 years. If I had continued to buy a new watch every year for around $30.00 or so instead of that Seiko I would have spend something like $420.00 on watches. Instead I spent $116.00 14 years ago.

Spendthift
grin.gif
I have 19 years on my $30 stainless Casio.

quote:

Al, that is a nice looking watch. If my Seiko ever wears out and I am not a rich man I might get one of those Swiss Army watches.

Personally, I never became too excited about the digital watches. I always liked Arabic numerals.

The only downside was the band which failed after about 3 years. I replaced it with a better one.

As my every(work)day watch I wear an early '70s Lord Elgin. By this date Elgin had pretty much ceased manufacturing their own movements in IL and were assembling watches with imported Swiss movements in South Carolina. I received the watch on my 7th birthday almost 33 years ago. I found it a little over 3 years ago at my parent's house. It was not running. $140 for a repair and it is running well 3 years later. The movement is a 17 jewel ETA automatic. My weekend watch is an automatic Seiko diver I've had for a couple of years. The darn thing gains about a minute a day, but I have beat the heck out of it and it still runs. I feel Seiko, because of their cases are the best watch value around.
I wouldn't mind having a JLC or Glashutte someday.

My everyday working watch is a Casio stainless band and case, bulky. My dress watch is a stainless band and case Swiss Army, also bulky.

My keepsake is a pocket watch given to me by my Grandfather. His H/S graduation present. It is inscribed on the inside cover over the interior works with his initials and last name, and 1902. (my initials and last name are the same). It is made by The Dueber Watch Case Manufacturing Company. It has a paper certificate inside the back cover and the hand written serial number with a printed 25 year guarantee. 14 karet Gold case, with hand engraved works including the front and back case.

smile.gif

Vetteman, I guess the warranty has run out on that one......
grin.gif

As I posted, I have a TagHeuer chrono that dosen't work after being dropped. Does anyone know any mailorder places that does repairs?

Years ago, I checked all the watch repair shops in town, and none of them repairs movement watches anymore. I found one guy, but he wanted $100 just to open and look at it. I guess it's not cost effective to have it repaired.....?

quote:

i love my swiss army watches. the only problem with my plastic bodied watch was that the little hole for the pins eventually (7 years) slopped out. my pocket watch is great. nice heft.

I have a $6 aquatech from walmart works like any other watch ive owned.
I also have a fancier mosiamo $30 watch for special occasions.

I had fancy $40 watches but kept losing them.

everyday watch - Luminox Navy Seal stainless w/ black rubber band

hunting watch - Timex expedition just because it is light and has an alarm

"good watch" a Hamilton that I never wear...

I had a Casio solar watch that lasted 7 years and took a lot of punishment when I worked constuction and rode/crashed mountain bikes all the time. It cost about 20 bucks and ranks right up there with the greatest watches ever.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back