What Kind of Car Did You Learn Stick Shift On?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First on dirt roads - Non-syncromesh double-clutching Army deuce and a half truck (vintage 1944 or so) on my uncle's farm with my cousins laughing parts of their anatomy off every time I ground a gear (which was frequently).

First on the real street - Nearly new 1965 Ford Mustang with a 289 and a 3-speed transmission. Great car. Older sister's boyfriend was a great instructor also.

Well, I learned on a 67 Galaxy 500 with a 390 and three on the tree. LOL It was a [censored] good car and it was the first new car my Dad ever bought. Midnight blue was the color for you older folks who remember them. Sold it to my cousin who drove it for years even after it was 11 years old when we sold it.

Our BITOG members seem to have learned on much more interesting cars than the general public, per my estimation!!

Nothing interesting for me, I learned in my first car, a 1941 Plymouth. Three on the tree, starter on the floor and an add-on heater that actually made hot air. Oh, and suicide doors. Now learning to run the manual transmission was easy, but teaching high school kids to not open the door to throw stuff out....
No seat belts of course - but when my buddy rolled an almost identical one everyone noted that the round shaped car rolled so smoothly that no one was even bruised.

1980 Mistsubishi-Dodge D-50 mini-pickup, 4 speed floor shifter.
I bought it used in a small town neaby and tried to get the hang of it before I got back to the city because it was about rush hour. Fun fun fun...

I learned on a 1949 Plymouth coupe- flathead six and a 3-on-the-tree. Made the switch to sticks with no problem. To be honest, I had a lot of time on tractors before ever driving a car.

My daughter learned on the 99 Cherokee. She took to it pretty quick, and IMO the Jeep is a very easy stick to drive. Yes, there's more pressure required to get it into gear than a lightly-built front-drive tranny with a rubbery shift linkage. And the 2000 and newer stick Jeeps are even more that way because they have the beefier NV3550 instead of the somewhat wimpy AX-15 mine has. But both the AX and NV are also much tougher and tolerant of the kinds of abuses a newbie sometimes inflicts on a manual transmission than little FWD sticks are. And its a lot harder to get the wrong gear than with a long FWD linkage or (gack) cable shifter.

'48 ford f5, flathead v8-4 speed. i was 7 or 8 at the time (early 70's) and believe it or not we still have and use it, runs great all original with 30,000 mi. (probably 1,000,000 or so ideling hours)i'll never forget "don't keep stalling it i'm not putting a clutch in it every week".
clutch is original and we still use that line to this day

80 something 024- the sporty Omni! Had almost no clutch pedal and nothing to prevent you from going into reverse. Once you drove it, stick was easy.

ref

Hi,
I learned to drive in a 1937 Morris 8 in 1953 @ 14!

I got my licence in 1955 at 15 and purchased a 1934 Singer Le Mans sports car (worth a small fortune today!). In this non-synchro car I mastered the skills of clutchless shifting - up and down

My Dad let me drive a little and taught me the basics in his 1960 Chevy pickup. My first car was a 1961 Dodge Lancer with slant 6 engine and 3 on the floor. I paid $65 for it.

At 60 MPH, the front tires would wobble so much that 8 track tapes fell out of the visors. It was fine at 55 or 65. I think I drove that car to the junkyard one day to let it RIP.
frown.gif

I knew nothing about how to take care of cars and didn't want to learn at that time.
15.gif

1960s vintage VW bus was the first 4 speed and a Chevy C10 pickup for the 3 on the tree. Took my road test in the VW, and in those days they made you go up the steepest hill in town with a stop sign right at the crest. You had to do some fancy clutching to get the car going smoothly again.

1986 Toyota 4Runner on the German Autobahn and around town!LOL I felt like Guliver in Lilputon!!! I had to fold the mirrors in freq. to get down some side streets!

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
I learned to drive in a 1937 Morris 8 in 1953 @ 14!

I got my licence in 1955 at 15 and purchased a 1934 Singer Le Mans sports car (worth a small fortune today!). In this non-synchro car I mastered the skills of clutchless shifting - up and down

Huh!
I learned on a 1938 Morris 8 aged 13!
The car cost 5 Pounds Sterling as an MoT failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back