What Kind of Car Did You Learn Stick Shift On?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned in my 1984 Rx-7 when I was around 15. I learned what to do from watching WRC racing when Speed Channel still aired it. Modulating the clutch and accelerator in a torque less engine takes some patience! My Mazda3 is auto and it is no fun.
frown.gif

1954 Ford with three-on-the-tree and overdrive. I drove it a couple times, then used it when I took my driving test. Only killed the engine a couple times parallel parking, but the driver examiner did not fail me for this.

After that, a couple other 3-speeds, eventually a 4-speed, then by the late 1980s I graduated to 5-speed trannies.

1977 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup with granny low. The trick was to not knock my dad out of the bed as he stood back there throwing out bales of hay.

My first attempts to learn to shift were with a ’73 Honda Civic and a ’64 Ford Econoline. The Civic had a 4 on-the-floor while the Econoline had 3 in-the-tree. The Econoline was a fun, but rather barbaric vehicle to drive. You sat above the front wheels and the steering wheel was in front of the front wheels so it was an interesting driving position. My memory is that the transmission was not synchromesh so you had to completely stop before putting the transmission into first (which of course I would forget from time to time). The shift pattern was an H with reverse in the upper left. My mother gave me one of my early lessons in the Econoline. I was practicing in the high school parking lot. I foolishly got it into third gear and then realized that I probably needed to make a fairly sharp turn to avoid hitting the curb at the end of the lot. I’m pretty sure one of the wheels lifted off during that turn. After we both started breathing normally again we decided to call it quits for the day, and I promised I wouldn’t get out of second in the parking lot again. While these two cars gave me my introduction to shifting, it was in my 1986 Honda Prelude Si that really learned to shift. I kind of winged it when I bought it as I wasn’t all that comfortable with shifting when I bought it. I hoped that my shifting would improve quickly, and it did. The transmission in that car was so easy to shift that I almost felt that it had an automatic in it. Hills completely lost their intimidation factor after awhile.

I have an automatic now as it makes commuting in heavy traffic less distressing, but I miss getting out on the open road with a stick.

1973 Datsun 240z

The car belonged to my step-father. I started by driving the car in a grass field and eventually moved on to the street. Surprisingly, he had plenty of clutch disc material left when I was finished.

1980 F-150 I6, spring loaded clutch.. before my dad sold it, I drove it 1 last time, had the wife drive it, that didnt' go so well, she's spoiled by the hydraulic lightweight barely there clutches. I miss that truck..

90 Acura Integra with 150K on original engine, tranny, and clutch. Ran like a champ to 220k (after I fried the clutch), finally traded on a 96 Integra GS-R.

Learned on my college roommate's early-70's Opel GT. We were heading out on a weekend road-trip. He got in the passenger seat and told me I was driving. I explained that I'd never driven a stick before (other than a couple of Chalmers D-19's, if that counts) He said that today I was going to learn. And learn I did...all the way from Terre Haute down to hilly Brown County.

1955 MG-TF 1500,
prior to that some on a 20's era John Deer Model A tractor,
do motorcycles count?
after that a 70's era Honda Civic.

Originally Posted By: EricF
1980 F-150 I6, spring loaded clutch.. before my dad sold it, I drove it 1 last time, had the wife drive it, that didnt' go so well, she's spoiled by the hydraulic lightweight barely there clutches. I miss that truck..

Close to my first clutch and last clutch vehicle.
Brand new '84Ford F150 six/4sp.
Never drove a clutch until I drove off the lot.
Had it 12 years.

198? Nissan Pulsar
My sisters roommates car.
Tried going thru a white castle's drive thru my first time out, much embarresment insued.

Originally Posted By: Motto
198? Nissan Pulsar
My sisters roommates car.
Tried going thru a white castle's drive thru my first time out, much embarresment insued.

ensued

I learned on my 1979 Z-28. My dad backed it into the garage and was going to teach me when he got hom from work. I couldnt wait, as soon as I got plates from DMV I took it out on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back