What kind of bed do you own?

I was sleeping on a close to 30 year old Serta Perfect Sleeper, and it was OK, really, but I decided a couple of years ago that I needed something new. Was having some mild back pain, but eventually determined it was just the aches and pains most people start to have when they reach their late 30s. Anyway, it may even be a little better now.

I even put up a thread here about it.

Ended up trying out a bunch of different mattresses, and the one that felt best to me was the Simmons Beauty Rest "Black Series" Extra-Firm. So, that's what I ended up with. I've been sleeping on it for about 2.5 years now, and I love it. It's actually "broken in" and gotten even more comfortable. That's one thing about mattresses - they don't get firmer - they get softer over time. That's one of the reasons I decided on an Extra Firm. Plus, I just like a lot of support. I hate beds that develop a divot in the middle. Also, I sleep in all positions - usually starting off on my back, then switching to my stomach halfway through the night, then sometimes ending up on my side. How firm you go on your mattress depends on what position you sleep in. For stomach, you want firm, and for side, softer is better. Back, maybe in the middle. For me, the Extra Firm feels great in any position.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
My wife and I just bought a mattress. We researched the bed in a box brands but decided against it.

When you go into a mattress store, you will find a favorite mattress you like. When you buy one online, did you try it before you bought it?

Buying mattresses online is the wave of the future. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there are massive profits in a mattress-there has to be.

I bought a Inofia full mattress Hybrid online for $250.00-and can return it in 100 days-it has a ten year warranty.

Yes-the risk you run is having to make a phone call should you not like the mattress your ordered. But (like tires) there are a plethora of online reviews to help your purchase decision.

It should be noted if you "return" your mattress-they are usually donated to local charity-verses being returned to the factory-since they came in a vacuum sealed box and rolled up and would be cost prohibitive (to the manufacturer) to return anyway-once they are unpacked.

Last edited:
i have a full size serta? (I think) pillow top, that I got at big lots 15(ish) years ago.... before dad retired, was able to use his 20% Discount (he was a store manager)
I Mostly Sleep in the Lazyboy Recliner..
when I travel, ans have to sleep in a bed (someone's house, hotel, etc) my back hurts the whole time... no pain in the recliner.....

We sleep on a cal-king mattress made by Sherwood Bedding, now owned by Tempur Sealy. It is a plush mattress with micro/nano coils. It’s worth trying a bed with such coils if your looking at mattresses. Feels awesome.

Our bed hasn't been all that comfortable for me and the wife. Lots of aches and tossing and turning. After doing some searching I pulled the trigger and ordered a queen Nectar memory foam mattress and adjustable base.
It has a 365 day trial period so why not? Plus the wife likes to watch TV in bed and needs her legs up. This is the first adjustable and memory foam mattress for us.

So what kind of bed do you guys have? Does it adjust? Did it take a while to get used to it? Did it help you?

ZZ- I am also in Michigan, and we just got a Bj's Warehouse that opened near us (in Macomb County).

A few weeks ago, they had a Serta King Size mattress on sale for $299! It was 6 or $800 off its regular price. We bought one to go with our new (new = bought off marketplace) solid wood king size bed set that I had just bought and we LOVE it. My Sister in Law came over to see it, laid on it, loved it, and went and bought one too. Then my friend came over to see what the commotion was about, checked it out, and bought one too. $299! And its a quality mattress.

I get the firmest one I can get I hate soft mattresses. Same with pillows I want the most firm one I can get. I think the mattress I have now is a Serta or Sealy can’t remember it came from Grand Home Furnishings originally. I would never buy a mattress online as I want to test it out before buying.

Me too. Been sleeping on the floor for the last three years and have not had any back aches since.
Beds are too small anyways and you will eventually jam your toe on the box spring

IMG_20201222_071534041.jpg

You owe it to yourself to check this retailer if you buy online. They do have a few brick and mortar stores if your in Michigan. I bought the mattress from this retailer for my guest bedroom. If you like rock hard, they have it along with everything else you can think of. https://www.us-mattress.com/

One thing I learned is don't cheap out on a mattress since I spend about 1/4 of my day on it.

Being that my wife and I are tall and skinny, we prefer a plush mattress. The best feeling beds we found have nano coils in them. Only a few mattresses have them.

Staava seemed the most interesting of the online bed company's. They don't put their mattress in a box. They offer different firmness levels and use a unique
innerspring system. Staava also offers two mattress thicknesses if you don't want something requiring deep fitted sheets.

We ended up finding something in a store that has nano coils and feels great. But we came close to buying this:
I got a Saatva Classic Firm 8 months ago. Great, great mattress. My quality of life has improved exponentially. Highest recommendation. Delivery. Removal. Seamless.

Pragmatic split queen with a pair of Sleep E-Z mattresses. Worthy combination. Beds were cheap, mattresses are a bit pricey but they are custom made.

Our bed hasn't been all that comfortable for me and the wife. Lots of aches and tossing and turning. After doing some searching I pulled the trigger and ordered a queen Nectar memory foam mattress and adjustable base.
It has a 365 day trial period so why not? Plus the wife likes to watch TV in bed and needs her legs up. This is the first adjustable and memory foam mattress for us.

So what kind of bed do you guys have? Does it adjust? Did it take a while to get used to it? Did it help you?
8' 2004 Silverado with a very thick black spray in liner.

Back