What kind of bed do you own?

Originally Posted by js1956
Stearns & Foster made by company dating back to 1800's. Best mattress I've ever own.

Was once considered the "Cadillac" of mattresses.

Last edited:
i have a sleep tech water bed for prolly 40 yrs + it feels like NEW, added water once!! i did a search but no luck, its like a somma with a foam perimeter that encases the individual tubes, BUT it top zippers open-shut + it uses an insulated topper over the tubes NO heater + uses conventional bedding. laid on it while mattress shopping years ago + the rest is history. being heavy as water beds are i added slats to my old wood frame bed + ran 2 2X4's with 3 legs going to the floor on each to insure the warranty as a water bed frame $$ was required + it got a "workout" thru the years without issue!! best $$$ ever spent IMO!! just looked at the sommas which look to have a top opening unlike the ones i seen years ago, they show a heater but a heavy sheepskin cover would prolly solve that issue as its most comfortable as well winter or summer like my custom fit real sheepskin from Sikafuse sheepskins only 35 miles from me with decent prices compared to others of similar quality. leather is bling but real sheepskin covers are pure comfort year around, heated or cooled seats need NOT apply!!

Last edited:
Wife and I just upgraded from a queen to a king, had an old Simmons and replaced it with a Nest hybrid, it's pretty good. One interesting feature is that the main 3" foam layer (between the quilt top and the coils) is in a zippered compartment and is removable. So if you decide you'd like a different firmness you can switch it out, for free during the first 100 days. And each side can have a different type. We started with the medium but are probably going to check out the firm option, as I'm mostly a back sleeper and the wife's a stomach sleeper. The medium is good (I'm sleeping better than I was on the old Simmons) but has a bit more sink than I think I'd like. It's not soft and doesn't have that weird squeeze like a Tempurpedic though.

It came in a box, compressed and rolled up. Very interesting to watch it spring out into full size upon cutting the shrink wrap off. Nest actually has stores in certain parts of the country. Not ours so we bought it based on spec comparison with something we liked at a local Mattress Warehouse. FWIW Nests are made in Arizona by Brooklyn Bedding. It was $1,300 and we put it on a $130 Zinus frame from Amazon.

jeff

Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by 14Accent
I bought a new mattress about 4 months ago. Traditional inner spring with double-pillow tops (so it can be flipped). I bought it from a local MN company that makes them in house, Restwell mattress factory. They are the "OE" supplier to Crate & Barrel. I paid $450 as it was a discontinued model, that was down from $999 retail.

I Need a firm bed as I'm a stomach sleeper and have neck/back issues, and it suits be perfectly. I personally can't stand memory foam, I've yet to lie on one that I feel comfortable with. They all feel like I'm sinking into them after a while, and I don't like to be "cradled" while I sleep. I like sleeping ON the bed, not IN it.

14Accent:
I also have neck/back issues....sleeping on one's stomach with the head to the side is a major cause of neck issues....I'm a side sleeper who occasionally goes onto my stomach...that's when the neck pain starts. I've mostly remedied it by
using a body pillow (or even a regular pillow) next to me to remind me when I start to turn onto my stomach. In other words...Don't sleep on your stomach if you have neck pain...
I also don't like sinking into my mattress....that's why I choose 'firm'.....Good Luck.

I totally agree, however I simply can NOT sleep any other way. I can't stand lying on my back, and I can never find a side position that doesn't hurt my shoulders after 10 minutes. I do have a body pillow, I "hug" it while I sleep, but it's on my stomach. I'm a very odd sleeper.... my normal position is arms chicken-winged out and under the pillow, sleeping diagonally, with my legs spread wide and one knee bent at a 45 degree angle (whichever knee is on the side I'm facing). I'm so particular about it that I find sharing a bed with another human being to be very uncomfortable, as I can't get into my desired position. That, and I have a lot of trouble falling asleep, and it can make for some interesting evenings.

Originally Posted by Nyati
Temperpedic for our main bed
smile.gif

Costco Sealys for the 2 guest rooms.

Tempur-Pedic and others are Serta PS from Mattress Firm

Tired of the junky coil beds. Won't waste the money on foam either....

With the wife's recovering hip (from injury) and my bad back- time to get a Sleep Number bed. Everyone I know who has one loves it!

Zinus Tea Tree infused memory foam, 12" thick with a pillow top cover, on a zinus frame. Super cheap, and joone who has slept on it or in my guest room has ever left without asking about it and being floored to learn it cost $200ish for the mattress when their ghost bed or whatever isnt near as good.

14" Costco foam mattress. They made good on some UPS shipping crazies...

on a no-name base/bed (which of course needed some reinforcement; nothing 3 2X4 + some screws + some metal L brackets couldn't solve)

Originally Posted by Ws6
Zinus Tea Tree infused memory foam, 12" thick with a pillow top cover, on a zinus frame. Super cheap, and joone who has slept on it or in my guest room has ever left without asking about it and being floored to learn it cost $200ish for the mattress when their ghost bed or whatever isnt near as good.

is it firm or medium firm or just medium?

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by Ws6

is it firm or medium firm or just medium?

Compared to other mattresses, I have found it to be soft. This is all except for one memory foam mattress that I slept on years and years ago that was so soft it would "trap" you, nearly. It was weird.

We have whatever the wife likes. Not sure what it is, mostly foam of some sort on a bedspring. It does the job. It replaced some sort of Sealy (?) that just didn't last like advertised.

Charles p Rogers conventional mattress. Seemed hard at first but I really like it. I also have used pure latex bliss but like the coil spring better. I would pick latex over cheaper coil spring mattresses

Jumped on the Sleep Number wagon about 12 years ago and we do like it however we have had to replace the topper a few times. We are both side sleepers so pillows have always been an issue until I bought us a couple My Pillows and they work great.

I recently bought an Eclipse 12" plush gel memory foam mattress from Mattress Firm, and got an adjustable base. I wasn't originally shopping for an adjustable base, but with a sale they had it was "free."

I LOVE the mattress. Just the right amount of firmness for me (I am mostly a side sleeper), and just flat out comfortable. It came roll packed in a box, and puffed up to its full size quickly with no uneven areas, lumps, etc. The Leggett & Platt adjustable base is pretty cool, though mine just kind of folds in the middle, so it's more for watching TV or using the bed like a big couch than sleeping in an elevated position. Still, I am very happy with the deal Mattress Firm offered...I was just going to get a regular base of some kind, so the adjustable freebie base is a nice bonus. I just hope it lasts, and if it doesn't, that it fails in the all the way down position.

Sleeptronic Google them made in USA. About mid $400 otd for pillow top or cool tex. Even less for a basic hospitality version.

Last edited:
Back