what kind of ATF? 88 dodge aries 2.2L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone got any input? The Haynes manual (1996 edition) says Dex/Merc....but have read some people say that years ago Crysler/Dodge back-spec'd and now are saying ATF+3 or +4 can be safely used....?

Any ideas or suggestions? Or should I just go with the Castrol High Mileage that specs "both"? Only thing is, my car isn't quite High Mileage, only got 32k on the clock
smile.gif
Would it hurt anything?

Thinking it may be easier to use one of the "multi vehicle" fluids that spec for ATF+4/+3 AS WELL AS Dex/Merc.....rather than just tossing in +4 and crossing my fingers.

Any ideas?
smile.gif

Tried allpar.com too, and no mention of the fluid type. No marking on the dipstick either....and the only manual I got is the Haynes manual (which I hear are [censored] anyhow lol).

ATF+4, Valvoline Maxlife, Castrol HM are all great choices. And, you can use just about anything in those old transmissions. Important thing is to keep them adjusted.

+4. Coastal from AutoZone or SuperTech from WalMart will be fine.

The Haynes manual is absolutely incorrect.

When mated to the 2.2/2.5, these are bulletproof transaxles.

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock

No, it isn't. This is a three-speed transaxle, and would do fine on either Dex or ATF+.

Although the '88 2.2L w/3 speed auto were only slightly different than my '84 2.2L w/3 speed auto, DexIII/Mercon was required just the same. Today, if you can find DexIII/Mercon at a low cost, use it! Othewise, use anything mentioned above. Those were good little 3 speed auto trannys and one of the few items in a Mopar that typicaly didn't go wrong.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

No, it isn't. This is a three-speed transaxle, and would do fine on either Dex or ATF+.

From what I understand, Haynes documented what was recommended "back then" (this book was printed back in 1996....) - but supposidely there's a couple TSBs around the net that state Chrysler/Dodge now "accept" ATF+4 in these 3-speed transmissions....I believe it's the "A413" transmission in my vehicle.

But yea, that's the whole reason I was asking....I even emailed Haynes themselves and they told me to "consult the dealer" pfft....lol. But yea, I would have no doubt in my mind they rec'd Dexron II ATF "back then" but figured I'd ask around before taking the plunge.
smile.gif

Sorry guys, the Dexron recommendation is not right. The 1988 A413 in an Aries will have a lockup converter, and it called for an MS-7176 fluid back in the day. The current fluid for 7176 applications is ATF+4.

If this were not a lockup converter model, Dexron would be fine.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Although the '88 2.2L w/3 speed auto were only slightly different than my '84 2.2L w/3 speed auto, DexIII/Mercon was required just the same. Today, if you can find DexIII/Mercon at a low cost, use it! Othewise, use anything mentioned above. Those were good little 3 speed auto trannys and one of the few items in a Mopar that typicaly didn't go wrong.

As I was mentioning that there were differences between the '84 ans '88, this may have been one of them(lock up tq conv) but, I don't remember the A413 3 speed auto having a "lock up". Maybe in the Spirit/Acclaim but, a K-Car? It's been a long time!

'88 had some big changes for Chrysler as I remember...
All SS exhaust, no more carbs, only EFI; even the Omni/Horizon went EFI, roller cam followers and more refinement to, or the addition of the 2.5L 4 cyl...Lockup torque converters too!

Sorry guys, the Dexron recommendation is not right. The 1988 A413 in an Aries will have a lockup converter, and it called for an MS-7176 fluid back in the day. The current fluid for 7176 applications is ATF+4.

Last edited:
My first car was an '88 Aries with the 2.5. It had a lockup torque converter clutch.

I also had a turbo '86 LeBaron. That one did not have TCC.

Even when the TCC was added to NA models across the lineup (I don't know which year), the turbo transaxles were still non-locking--even into the 90s!

In '88, the 2.2 did not have a lockup torque convertor, but the optional 2.5 did. I don't think the 7176 spec came out until '89 when the A604/"Ultradrive" transmission was released.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
In '88, the 2.2 did not have a lockup torque convertor, but the optional 2.5 did.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not going to believe that until I see some documentation. What you say is not consistent with what I've seen in catalogs, but my only first-hand experience was with the 2.5.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I don't think the 7176 spec came out until '89 when the A604/"Ultradrive" transmission was released.
I think it was 1988. I've heard that the switch was made because of unsatisfactory performance of Dexron-IId in the early models with TCC. It's just hearsay, though.

I stand by the +4 recommendation. I did run it in my non-lockup turbo and it was fine. From my point of view, this car likely has TCC, so +4 is the "safe" choice.

Last edited:
I just noticed this on Allpar:
Originally Posted By: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/torqueflite.html
All 1988 front-drive Torqueflites except Voyager 2.5 and the turbo had an electronic lockup torque converter. The 1988 TorqueFlite transmission (rear-drive) had a non-electronic lockup.
So I really do think this car has TCC and that +4 is the right stuff for it.

Whether it has a lockup TC or not is irrelevant. Its not slip controlled.

What year did ATF+4 come out? What year is the vehicle?

Consider the ATF+4 an upgrade, and either ATF+3 or ATF+4 can be used. But, its not necessary. Shop on price as HM fluids might be equivalent.

Highmileage is also HighAge. So, Valvoline Maxlife or Castrol Highmileage are great choices of this OLD low mileage transmission.

Don't forget to research the adjustments for that transmission.

wow. ignorant me. I decided to just pull out the dipstick, sure enough on the dipstick there's a sticker/tag (surprised it's still in tact...) that says Dexron II....

So looks like I'm "in the clear" with the Castrol HM ATF I topped off with, since it does meet the DexII and at least the ATF+3 (not the ATF+4 though....)

And I believe I read somewhere on these forums and/or allpar.com, that Chrysler has put out a TSB or whatever, that ATF+4 is compatible with ALL 2010 and newer auto transmissions.....

My dipstick days dexron 2 on it despite it being well known this is not an acceptable fluid for my transmission.

My rebuilt tranny started shuddering badly 1 mile and one second out of warranty with their Bulk universal fluid in there.

A fluid exchange with ATF+3( 2002) cured it completely. It now has mostly ATF +4 and 70k plus miles without a shudder.

I think Chrysler got a bunch of extra Dipsticks from GM and said.

"Good enough!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back