Castrol Transmax multi vehicle full synthetic ATF

tellya what I think.. electronic controlled tranny's are designed around the fluid's characteristics nowadays, and unless nothing else is available its best to use the recommended fluid... in your case you didn't mention if the transmission had any previous problems or had been previously serviced but it is quite possible that new clean fluid reacted with the other stuff that is always left behind and caused some problem which evidenced itself 15000 miles later but know way to know for sure but it isn't like the old days when tere were 2 kinds of fluid..
No previous issues. The castrol fluid listed Atf+4 as a suitable replacement.
I had serviced the transmission prior 1 time with super tech ATF+4 at about 60k.

No previous issues. The castrol fluid listed Atf+4 as a suitable replacement.
I had serviced the transmission prior 1 time with super tech ATF+4 at about 60k.
Plawan, its hard to say or prove one way or the other.. "BUT" since ATF+4 is a licensed product, is a synthetic fluid and is readily available at competitive prices at many retailers, the question is why use a non ATF+4? Mopar has a list of licensed products here. https://www.centerforqa.com/licensed-atf4-brands/

~5 months and ~15K miles down the road, the cause of the failure could be anything. I always thought the 62TE was one of Chrysler's better minivan transmissions?

In terns of the current day Castrol Transmax universal ATF/CVT fluid, I've had it in my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder's CVT for ~8 months and ~14K miles. I've done two drain/fills with it. One gallon each time.

Plawan, its hard to say or prove one way or the other.. "BUT" since ATF+4 is a licensed product, is a synthetic fluid and is readily available at competitive prices at many retailers, the question is why use a non ATF+4? Mopar has a list of licensed products here. https://www.centerforqa.com/licensed-atf4-brands/
You might get be right.
I’ve used Maxlife in everything I’ve had that it states it’s suitable for and have racked up hundreds of thousands of miles on it now as we drive ridiculously a lot. I figured castrol is every bit as credible as Valvoline.
That said I’m hearing of a lot of cases of failed 62te transmissions in caravans around 100k miles. Unfortunately they aren’t as cheap to replace as some transmissions. I’m finding the providers of reman trannies are mostly very sketchy and the shops are trying to charge ridiculous labor charges.
I’ll have to get the transmission myself and just pay labor for install because I’m finding the shops are adding on like 1k for price quotes for transmissions when I look online at the same places they want to order from.
It’s jus a dog eat dog world out there lol.

At first, I thought there was just a pricing mix-up at his local WM but I see no indication that the full-synthetic stuff is available in 1-gallon yet. Only see the older Import version or the ATF/CVT version in 1-gallon. I'm confused what the OP used....
I think Castrol's labeling is confusing. They use 'Edge' on many very different oils and 'Transmax' on many different ATF's. I've used the Castrol Full Synthetic ATF pictured in the OP for a couple of D&R's on my Ford Escape's 6F35 which calls for Mercon LV (this Castrol product is Ford approved for Mercon LV) and it works very well.

I used the Castrol Import MV (a different product than the one shown in the OP) in a 2009 Fusion with the Mazda FNR5 5 speed A/T that called for a Mazda fluid IIRC and it worked fine (not many fluids claimed to work in that application but the Castrol IMV did). I've also used Castrol IMV as well as Valvoline Import (blue bottle) and Maxlife in Hyundai's and Toyota's (calling for T-IV fluid) with zero issues.

Last edited:
I just did two drain/fills with Transmax Universal ATF/CVT fluid on my kid's 2016 Malibu with the 6T40. The only ATFs I've seen at my local Walmart lately is this stuff or maxlife for a buck or two more per gallon.

Honestly, if my transmission died 3 days after the dealer serviced it, I’d have the car taken to a different dealer for a look over. You need an independent source to see if theirs any obvious signs that they messed up the trans service. Are there obvious signs of leakage around the pan, as that should be present if it was leaking through the pan gasket? Was the fluid level right? Etc. I’d highly suspect eh dealer did something wrong if your trans bit the big one so shortly after they touched it, and you’d bet I’m not paying for that myself, if so.

Back