What is your most frequent but irrational purchase?

Expensive watches.....Rolex, Omega, Tudor, Zenith.... IWC.....
IWC Pilot watch is my latest watch I bought but i dont need....the strange part is im old with no family to leave them to when i die....
I gave away a 36mm Rolex Exp last summer....I give one away and buy another to replace it. dumb.

Oh, I can relate to a lot that's already been mentioned: Watches, guitars and amps, hi-fi and stereo, tech junk. I tend to be a bit more deliberate with all that stuff though. I research and hype myself up before I buy, every time.

What I buy irrationally is fragrances. As in, perfumes and colognes.

I probably have a collection that would last me at least 10 years if I were not not buy another bottle. I have even more in decants and samples. Still, I'm contemplating between three new bottles and I know I'm going to just end up buying all three.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks they can make a "good" meal at home for two people at the cost of $10 isn't eating good....

For me, I guess it's the Ritz brand peanut butter crackers in the grocery store. Granted, I buy the 16-pack at $3.50 but we also buy bulk Ritz crackers and Jif peanut butter at Costco....

Other than that, it's buying $2 worth of tea at CFA when I'm out and about.

Right now it is oil, DIY audio, and these **** sandwiches and hot wings from the local supermarket. They're not cheap, but they're so good! I'm a sucker for comfort food.

It used to be wheels and tires. I have 3 sets for the FRS, and a set of spare wheels for my truck.

When I was young it was cars. Now its Outback Steakhouse and a place here called Chuy's.

Fancy food
Tools
Was mods for the 2019 Tacoma, got a grip
Kitchen gadgets/appliances
Investment newsletters
Amazon "stuff" - have cut way back, was a bit uncontrolled when lock down started
Lol. Cooking stuff. Me too!

Bought a Meater+ and am going to try it out tonight.

More intermittent but I won $1000 from a lottery ticket (2nd one) in 1990. So I buy them occasionally.

My dad pretty much forced me to take $500 or winnings and open my first mutual fund which has grown a ton.

Not sure I have spent $500 yet on lottery tickets but I do buy them when a jackpot gets high. I took a ton of math stats courses in college and understand the odds but still do it.

When I was young it was cars. Now its Outback Steakhouse and a place here called Chuy's.
A lot of people grip about chains but the Outback near here is always consistent and puts out great food. We also have a Texas Roadhouse nearby that is top notch. Not that I have been to either in the past 10 months....

Once every 6-9 months, I find myself buy another benchmade knife. I have a crooked river, a mini crooked river, a griptillian and a north fork. I love them. Once you get a good quality pocket knife, you can go back to the cheap ones, unless you have a habit of losing them.

Flash lights and lanterns. My latest is four Coast G450s for $15 each from HD. I already have lights and lanterns stashed around the house in case the lights go out without notice.

I guess I’d also have to add rechargeable batteries for all of the lights.

I love this stuff and have taken to buying a bottle or so a month. I add it to water or diet soda. Addicted now I suppose. Cheap enough as far as being frivolous I suppose.

I ended up buying some of this and it's legit delicious. Hard to explain why it's so good, but it triggers taste buds that no other drink or food can hit. Thanks for the recommendation.

More intermittent but I won $1000 from a lottery ticket (2nd one) in 1990. So I buy them occasionally.

My dad pretty much forced me to take $500 or winnings and open my first mutual fund which has grown a ton.

Not sure I have spent $500 yet on lottery tickets but I do buy them when a jackpot gets high. I took a ton of math stats courses in college and understand the odds but still do it.
I'm surprised no one mentioned hookers and blow.

Motorcycle tires, they wear very quickly, and I love the way a fresh tire grips.
Sunglasses, cannot have too many, and they're not cheap.
Eating out, I like going out to eat, and enjoy dressing up, then going someplace nice.

Back