What is your current favorite oil filter to use?

If you look at each filter media under a microscope you'll see that the BOSS has much better filtering material than the Toyota. And you can go to BR and see the particle count for each.
M+H spec sheets say otherwise. Everything seems to be based on "looks" lately, but everything doesn't always perform how you think it should based on looks.

Also, don't choose an oil for cold starting performance based on the PF "cold oil races". Base it on the CCS and MRV viscosity at the W grade rating test temps. PF's cold oil races don't always correlate to how the same oils would rank in an official CCS and MRV test. Just like BR's "efficiency " test ranking doesn't always correlate to the ISO 4548 ranking of the same filters.

I just bought 3 oil filters yesterday....2 Fran ultra (1 for my cub Cadet lawn tractor with a Kohler v twin and one for my wife's brand new Hyundai 2.4 theta 2). My third one was Mobil 1 m1-107 for my 2005 Silverado 4.8. I use the same one usually on my 350 Oldsmobile in my 84 Cutlass...but the truck I want to last over 500k miles...(Currently 256k miles). I'm willing to upgrade it's filter to something better but not something cheaper.

contact them and ask for the specification sheet. not even the PBL3001 is actually 99% at 20um.
What Purolator shows for the PBL30001 on their website is 99% @ 25u, and the recent spec sheet for the PBL30001 shows 99% >46u. Could be the 99% @ 25u on the website is left over old info. Seems like false advertising to me.

Got a link to a Purolator source of that info?
right on their the website or box

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 12.19.10.jpg

Last edited:
I get it but I'm using what I want. you don't know how long it was testing before these results. could have simulated many miles. Maybe these results where after the capacity test
thats why standardized tests exist. all filters are tested in the same manor so that the results are repeatable. no speculation like you’re stating here. you are free to use what you wish. just presenting you with some facts about the matter.

I get it but I'm using what I want. you don't know how long it was testing before these results. could have simulated many miles
You can run no oil filter, I don't care. ;) The ISO 4548-12 was tested per the official test procedure. The Ascent ISO 4548 testing also showed its efficiency isn't anywhere near 99% @ 20u unless he has some efficiency data very early on in the test showing that it started out very efficient and stayed that way until it was about half loaded. So from what Purolator is saying, it's very efficient up to 10K miles, then falls flat on its face after that. If that's the case, then at some point half way through it's loading, the efficiency goes south fast. I'd have to see the test data on that one. And when BR does their "efficiency" test, they load it up with ISO test dust until the dP goes up by 8 PSI, so it's pretty loaded up and should be reflecting a ranking like Ascent showed.

Last edited:
I'll get a particle test done when I have 7.5k miles on my oil with the BOSS filter. But something tells me the experts on here still won't believe me
Your PC data won't mean anything unless you have PC tests for other oil filters used on the same engine over the same OCI with the same driving conditions. I've plotted PC data from the UOA forum and there were some Boss filters in the mix which showed a worse PC. Here's one example. So if you ran say 3 different oil filters on the same engine for the same OCI, you might see something like this.

1713112764209.jpeg

right on their the website or box

View attachment 214198
Why doesn't Purolator show that chart on their website? ... like on the webpage below. Seems it would be something to get out to the masses.

Boss or others models on the Purolator website show no such chart. If it's true, they should be showing that chart all over the place. Maybe they need a new marketing manager, lol.

Last edited:
What Purolator shows for the PBL30001 on their website is 99% @ 25u, and the recent spec sheet for the PBL30001 shows 99% >46u. Could be the 99% @ 25u on the website is left over old info. Seems like false advertising to me.
There are a few different sources for the efficiency of the BOSS.

Purolator marketing: 25 micron
Purolator datasheets: 46 micron
Ascent ISO test: 34 micron
Brand Ranks: Performed similarly to ~20-25 micron filters. Not the most accurate test method, but it was surely better than 46 micron.

You might think the datasheets would be the most reliable source, but they seem to copy-paste the 46 micron figure for all BOSS filter models, and there are other errors in the datasheets that lead me to question their accuracy. I'd say most models of BOSS filters are <35 micron.

Mine has always been the Fram Ultra. However I see Fram has added the Titanium and Endurance now.
Unfortunately Meijer quit carrying Fram, so I bought a Mobil 1 filter this time. I have no problem with M1 filters but just wasn't my first choice.

What is your current favorite? Does price play a part in your decision?
Premium guards/ carquest premium

There are a few different sources for the efficiency of the BOSS.

Purolator marketing: 25 micron
Purolator datasheets: 46 micron
Ascent ISO test: 34 micron
Brand Ranks: Performed similarly to ~20-25 micron filters. Not the most accurate test method, but it was surely better than 46 micron.

You might think the datasheets would be the most reliable source, but they seem to copy-paste the 46 micron figure for all BOSS filter models, and there are other errors in the datasheets that lead me to question their accuracy. I'd say most models of BOSS filters are <35 micron.
Yeah, it's all over the place. I'd trust the Ascent and M+H data sheet before any other sources. Just because the few Boss data sheets we've seen form M+H showing the same rating doesn't mean they are erroneous.

Back