What is too short an ice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that it takes some length of time for the antiwear additives in motoroil to begin working to their fullest potential.
I'm thinking about doing short ocis with just basic cheap but still quality oils like supertech etc. And entry level filters like stp or what ever.
I also understand that too short of ocis can actually cause more wear because of what I mentioned above so my question is what might be to short an oci. Thanks

two days.

Edit: JK I would say as long as it's over 2000 miles you should be good.

Last edited:
Can't believe I said ice. Lol oci phone corrects spelling weather I want or not. It thinks it's so smart.

Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
Can't believe I said ice. Lol oci phone corrects spelling weather I want or not. It thinks it's so smart.

I can't believe you said weather.
smile.gif
Now there is going to be another post from mrsandman about whether.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Yeah spellcheck can't correct for everything.
ya, your pretty much useless as far as I'm concerned. Since I got here all I've seen you do is go around running your mouth and not contributing a thing. Do you have anything to add?

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Originally Posted By: Mrsandman

I can't believe you said weather.
smile.gif
Now there is going to be another post from mrsandman about whether.
grin.gif

thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's been so helpful. Now I know who else to ignore as soon as I discover how.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
I think the short OCIs wear out the engine theory is a bunch of malarkey.

It doesn't wear out, but it will explode!

Not here to make friends, are you Mrs and man? People on here like to joke around - don't take it so personally.

On a serious note, yes, it does take a certain period of time at temperature for the add pack to activate; however, if level is maintained, driving is moderate (or even spirited,) and other contaminants (e.g., coolant) are kept out of the crank case, then changing your oil every week won't hurt a thing but your wallet.

When it comes to too-frequent changes, there has to be a reason or goal, though, IMO. It also depends on so many things that your post can't possibly be answered. From car to driving style, to climate, the answer to your type of post is always: it depends.

Are you combating fuel dilution, a sludge problem, or do you simply like changing your oil because it makes you feel good to do so? If you don't have a particular problem you're trying to fix, then why not send out a used sample for analysis to determine what an appropriate OCI really is?

To consider if an OCI is too short, the answer depends on so many things. With my 2007 Ridgeline, I'm on pace for 1,300 miles driven this year. It's not a short tripper--it's not driven often and it's stored for four months. So if I do a one year change, is that too short? Does it mean my engine is having above average wear? I don't think so.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Not here to make friends, are you Mrs and man? People on here like to joke around - don't take it so personally.

On a serious note, yes, it does take a certain period of time at temperature for the add pack to activate; however, if level is maintained, driving is moderate (or even spirited,) and other contaminants (e.g., coolant) are kept out of the crank case, then changing your oil every week won't hurt a thing but your wallet.

When it comes to too-frequent changes, there has to be a reason or goal, though, IMO. It also depends on so many things that your post can't possibly be answered. From car to driving style, to climate, the answer to your type of post is always: it depends.

Are you combating fuel dilution, a sludge problem, or do you simply like changing your oil because it makes you feel good to do so? If you don't have a particular problem you're trying to fix, then why not send out a used sample for analysis to determine what an appropriate OCI really is?
no I was just thinking instead of running the synthetics for long ocis and worrying about uoas and all. I would like to do short ocis with store brand dino. I figure short but not so short it enhances wear is right for me along with simple short interval oil filters. I was reading some info posted by Jim Allen who used to be on here it appears. He mentioned something pertaining to it and it seems like a reasonable idea.
My engine are in excellent condition and all. I drive 90% highway miles but do idile a lot inbetween.

Last edited:
3k miles is what id do as a minimum..or ur likely tossing ur money away..personally been proven you can likely go to 7500 or more but too short is just a waste of money.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
To consider if an OCI is too short, the answer depends on so many things. With my 2007 Ridgeline, I'm on pace for 1,300 miles driven this year. It's not a short tripper--it's not driven often and it's stored for four months. So if I do a one year change, is that too short? Does it mean my engine is having above average wear? I don't think so.

Not being a short tripper, it'd go at least two years if mine... I have short runners(summer fun cars) around here with three years plus and dailys with 18 months 8-10K mi before I change them...

If you want to change monthly it'll only drain you wallet and wear out drain plug threads...

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
I think the short OCIs wear out the engine theory is a bunch of malarkey.

Yep I fully agree...

Thanks for those who replied to my question with a serious response.
I see it's a difficult question to answer because it's dependant on multiple factors. I think it makes since to pick a # and run some ocis. I'll probably stay with the 5k I've had in mind with the Sam's house 10w30 and see where to go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back