What is this stuff (diamond atf sp ii m ) trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car has been shifting a little werid lately. so i thought id do a trans fuild change but i went to 2 parts store to buy trans fuild and told them i needed this fuild diamond atf sp ii m and they all looked at me like i was crazy.

What is it or better yet give me a brand name or parts number i can this from at autozone napa or a normal store

Is this for a Hyundai or Kia by chance? :) Reason I ask is both of my now deceased Kia's spec'd that ATF.....as far as I know it's a Dealer-only/special-order item....and have heard KIA's in particular get really picky with what ATF they get....

Here's some links too :)
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1103918

And a bunch of others at Google.....but it appears Castrol Import ATF meets DIAMOND spec....but I never got to the point of needing to have the ATF changed in either vehicles....:( But I'd check the back of the Castrol Import bottles, and see if it meets the DIAMOND spec req'd in the manual....to be better safe than sorry, just buy the fluid from the dealer.

It's also Mitsubishi fluid. From everything I've ever read, ATF+3 is pretty much the same fluid, you should be able to get fluid just about anywhere.

Im not sure about buying it from a dealer im at a base in the middle of now where so its a drive to just to a part store

so is Dextron 3/Mercon same as ATF3 then ?

Last edited:
aww [censored] i guessing ATF 3 is not the same as mercon what would happend if you added a little to the tran when it was low ?

Guess ill have to drain it now hoping it was better then running the tran low on fuild

I'm sure you will have no issues. We used to use "universal" bulk Atf all the time at the mitsu dealer I was at, and can't ever remember having a problem. They additives are just a little bit different between ATF+3+4 and mer/dex

I just went through this same issue with my car. I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant and it requires SPii or the new SPiii. I looked all over for this stuff. The closet Mitsubishi dealer is 200 miles away. So, I went to my local Wally World and picked up their Super Tech Multi Purpose
33.gif
After a few hundred miles I started to notice some shuttering and when trying to put it into reverse it started to clunk... Wasted $15.

So then I went to Auto Zone and bought Mobil 1 Multi Purpose Synthetic $8 a quart. After 1500 miles the same issue returned... $40 wasted.

Today, I went to the Hyundai dealer and bought SP iii for $7 a quart. Spent $35. So far, so good. problem seems to be getting better, but not all is fixed. Now, I am stuck thinking that I screwed something up or damaged something. I could be looking at several hundred dollars to fix, when I should just go the correct fluid instead of looking for a cure all.

Just my two cents. You can do what you want, but I wouldn't risk it.

When do you get the shuttering ? what mph is it at ? I have this when put into reverse it start to clunk...

Ive never changed the trans fuild but my brother took it to a shop while i was overseas to fixs up a few things everything else seem fine or fixed but i dont remember if it always shirfted werid or it just me being overly A888 about a 10 year old car. the trans fuild looks pretty clean so im think they filled it up or replaced it

Last edited:
My shuttering started after about 60 miles. It could be a high pressure line on the transmission. Only true way to tell is to take it to a transmission shop or some mechanic and see if they can run a diagnostic check on it. Sometimes a warning light wont come on.

I did some further research on the issue I was having and disconnected the battery last night and re-hooked it up today. Went for several test rides and it seems to have corrected everything. You might try doing that with yours. Something with the computer relearning shifting habits. But, I would also reccomend SPiii not some other alternative.

Last edited:
You do not want Dexron/Mercon only products in there. This was replaced by Mitsubishi's SP III, and is, as Johnny said, very similar (or same as?) ATF+4.

I have a Multipurpose Synthetic ATF that I sell to Mitsubishi and Chrysler for all of those. It also replaces Dexron and Mercon, including Mercon V. Amsoil has one of these, I think Mobil has one.

The use of Dexron III will give you harder shifts and about 100,000 miles less transmission life.

I'll second the Maxlife ATF as a good choice for your transmission calling for SP III. Put it in neighbor's Galant about 30k miles ago (barely out of warranty) and they said it is still doing fine. At the time it was half what the dealer wanted for their special sauce. Now I'm seeing it for about 3.70/qt at local WM.

if you can't find locally, you can surely order this stuff from an online Mitsubishi dealer parts department. I buy Toyota T-IV online from dealers, once from a dealership in California and a few years ago from a dealer in Texas.

I think im going to go looking for this stuff and try it out Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF. or a muilt grade one the only auto store has to have one of them

No i cant order any thing im stuck on this [censored] base in a [censored] town in the midddle of no where. Plus im poor ish now so the cheapper the tran fuild i can run the better

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigRich954
CASTROL IMPORT MULTIVEHICLE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9012226&contentId=7028224

Only stuff ive found anyone using this should be good to use right ?

Can i suck the fuild out thought the dipstick hole ?

You can get all the fluid removed and replaced with Valvoline Maxlife at a Valvoline Service Center for about $130. A bargain IMO. That would be my recommendation. Check the Valvoline web site for a service center nearby.

Originally Posted By: BigRich954
Can i suck the fuild out thought the dipstick hole ?

Not much. Depending on a transmission design, less than a quart. The most I ever got out was 7 oz. (overfilled the tranny when servicing, not paying attention to what I was doing)

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I've had Amsoil in my Father's Elantra for ~25K and all is well.

Does that guarantee another 25k trouble free?

Thats like saying my timing belt hasn't broken yet when it's spec'ed for change at 60k and you have 75k on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back