What is this charger for?

I inherited this charger thing from my grandfather. Google searches turn up nothing. It doesn't look like it was ever used, and I don't know how to use it. All I found was that "Boat US" was a magazine so I guess he ordered it from a magazine. He had a sailboat at one time.
Can anyone explain to me what this is and how to use it? What does one of these cost?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I found this nearly 20 year old forum post, pretty much you couldn't get any info on them then, and probably even harder to find now.

Fairly certain it is a power inverter/charger for a boat that allows you to use battery power or shore power. When connected to shore power, it charges the battery and runs the appliances and lights.

It makes 120V power from 12Volt batteries and has a built in battery charger when you have shore power.

Thing to find out is it a true sine wave unit or a modified sine wave inverter that will dictate what you want to try to run with it.

Fairly handy devices in power outages and in RV's and boats

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave

It makes 120V power from 12Volt batteries and has a built in battery charger when you have shore power.

Thing to find out is it a true sine wave unit or a modified sine wave inverter that will dictate what you want to try to run with it.

UD

This

Also if it's real heavy like it has a big transformer in it , then it may be a low frequency inverter which is good.

Originally Posted by BeerCan
Originally Posted by UncleDave

UD

This

Also if it's real heavy like it has a big transformer in it , then it may be a low frequency inverter which is good.

So you hook up 12v DC batteries to the posts on the rear and it converts to 120v AC? It is heavy, probably 15-20lbs. I have no use for it and was planning to list it on FB market place.

Originally Posted by CharlieJ

So you hook up 12v DC batteries to the posts on the rear and it converts to 120v AC? It is heavy, probably 15-20lbs. I have no use for it and was planning to list it on FB market place.

That's exactly right and then when it connects to shore power it then recharges the batteries.

Where in FL are you? Shoot me a PM with your price if you want, I might be interested.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
The kind of heavy they are talking about is more like 45 to 80 LB.

I weighed it, it's 30 lbs

Originally Posted by CharlieJ
Originally Posted by JimPghPA
The kind of heavy they are talking about is more like 45 to 80 LB.

I weighed it, it's 30 lbs

Probably high frequency then. now you need to figure if it's true sine wave or square wave. it will make a big difference in value.

Edit:
Well maybee low freq. Here is one of a similar size at 38lbs (1250w). Still I doubt it, It seems just a little to light.

https://www.aimscorp.net/1250-watt-low-frequency-pure-sine-inverter-charger-12-vdc-to-120-vac.html

Last edited:
Back