What is the the toughest oil spec for Gas engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to know what you think is the Toughest Oil Spec to meet worldwide? Why? (Gasoline engines only - No Diesels)

Maybe a clarification is needed.. Did you mean an individual spec such as VI or a standard such as API, ILSAC, SAE, ACEA, etc.?

I think that's a lot like asking "what is the best oil". "Toughest" doesn't necessarily equal "suitable". And oil that meets certain "tough" specs may do so by compromising other properties. I don't need an oil that meets Honda's HTO-06 spec if I don't have a turbo and my car's oil temps are constantly @ 90-95C. So, I don't think there's a "toughest" spec, and even if there were it wouldn't really matter much to me. I'd worry more about suitability.

Originally Posted By: bubbajoe_2112
Maybe a clarification is needed.. Did you mean an individual spec such as VI or a standard such as API, ILSAC, SAE, ACEA, etc.?

I meant a spec such as PORSCHE A40, Honda HTO-06 ... etc.

I think JASO-MA is toughest spec to meet because in a wet clutch sump with shared transmission gears and crankshaft bearings, the oil needs to have a triple purpose, and also needs to be shear resistant from the trans gears and enough friction to keep clutch plates from slipping, high in the ZDDP area yet low in moly

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I think Art means like mb229.5, vw 504, BMW LL-04, GM DEXOS 1 etc

Hey ARCO, how are you my man? Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Ummmmmm. I'm gonna guess whichever ones M1 0w-40 meets.

Hehehe

America's super oil! (For European Use Only)

Originally Posted By: Degreaser
I think JASO-MA is toughest spec to meet because in a wet clutch sump with shared transmission gears and crankshaft bearings,

But does JASO-MA address aspects of a typical gasoline engine such as soot thickening, sludge, wear, piston deposits, oxidative thickening, etc? I doubt it because oils as old as API SG could pas JASO-MA. The main objective of JASO-MA is to prevent clutch slipping - something that's not very relevant to a car engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back