Hardest Spec to Meet?

What you guys think is the hardest OEM spec to meet? Porsche A40? C30? Throw'em out there
I think MB 229.5 is up there. Closely followed by Porsche C40 and VW 511.00.

HERE you can play around with comparison of MB229.3 vs MB229.5 for example, or VW 511 vs 502, or A40 vs C40, etc. Basically see how specs were changed over time and what has been the focus of each new formulation. This tool isn't meant to compare a Porsche spec VS MB spec, as "rating scales" are different. But is a fun way to see what API SP is geared towards as compared to API SG. Enjoy.

Last edited:
The Afton Handbook has some detailed information on a lot of standards. The MB standards seem to have the most thorough suite of engine tests. The VW standards seem to be a lot less impressive. Dexos1 Gen3 seems to be pretty stringent, but not as comprehensive as the MB standards.

I haven't been able to find any specifics on the Porsche standards. Anyone know where I can find them?

how do you determine which is toughest? isn't that like determining which is best? totally subjective and up to the end user to determine?

What you guys think is the hardest OEM spec to meet? Porsche A40? C30? Throw'em out there
That's going to be difficult to determine. For example with regards to some specifications a particular grade is also a requirement (ex, C30, A40). Some specifications are not limited by grade but by HTHS. Are these more or less difficult?

Are ACEA Cx hardest to hit if they have the same performance requirements as the ACEA Ax/Bx specifications?

What about the lower-FE specifications which revolve around 20 grades? If they have the same performance requirements as the thicker C3 A3/B4 would you consider them harder to hit due to having less headroom in terms oil viscosity?

how do you determine which is toughest? isn't that like determining which is best? totally subjective and up to the end user to determine?
considering that the oils exceed the spec and no one knows by how much.. its pretty much a moot point.

In other words:
Who cares if MB 229.51 is stricter than dexos 1 gen 3 (in a non MB car) the dexos oil might be "better" than the MB oil.. no one really knows.
Well no one who knows is going to tell us anyway :ROFLMAO:

really? LOL. Seen plenty of things in my life advertised as best, toughest, smartest, fastest etc but there is always something tougher, smarter, faster etc out there.

Take a look at the Afton Handbook and what those testing standards are for basic API vs Dexos and compare those standards to MB, BMW and VW.

It’s fairly straightforward and easy to see how much tougher some standards are vs others.

Some standards are limited to SAE grade but certainly not all.

really? LOL. Seen plenty of things in my life advertised as best, toughest, smartest, fastest etc but there is always something tougher, smarter, faster etc out there.
Like making something foolproof. It won't take long before you realize there are better, more resourceful and more talented fools just waiting around the corner.

We have that posted up at my firehouse.

Back