What is the single best vehicle to buy if you're a tightwad?

Nobody wants single cab pickups.. and nobody, at all, wants a manual transmission. I would have to opted for a garage queen from an old grandpaw.... a Single Cab Ford, Dodge or Chevy for dirt cheap money... preferable a manual with 5 speed overdrive and 4x4. That pickup is a unicorn and if you find it in mint .... buy it. I would even be fine with a 6 banger.....

Miura. Even tight wads gotta live a little...
miura.jpg

Minivan or pick up truck. Yeah you’re trading some fuel economy off but in return you gain a metric crap ton of utility and ease of use with either option.

“Just get a small trailer and pull it behind this little car when you need it!” Great, now I have another thing I have to pay to register yearly, it’s yet another thing I don’t have time to maintain, and I have to find a place to store when I’m not using it.

I've never owned one And I never sat in one And being 6 foot 4 inches tall I have no plans of ever trying to get into one, But in the long run, I think a Prius would be pretty hard to beat. If you're going to buy it used try to find something that's not very old.
And expect to pay a lot of money for it but in the long run you'd be much farther ahead.

Bought a 2004 Saturn Ion MT with 105k miles for $4k. Drove it to 165K, changed spark plugs and oil, thats it. Took it to junkyard when it needed a new clutch and tires. They gave me $400.

Nobody wants single cab pickups.. and nobody, at all, wants a manual transmission. I would have to opted for a garage queen from an old grandpaw.... a Single Cab Ford, Dodge or Chevy for dirt cheap money... preferable a manual with 5 speed overdrive and 4x4. That pickup is a unicorn and if you find it in mint .... buy it. I would even be fine with a 6 banger.....
I know of one person who take one in a heartbeat, me. Since my wife and I are retired and go everywhere together we've become a one vehicle family. If not for that I'd be searching for a good deal on one. This past Monday we were on or way home from a doctor's appointment and I saw a nice, older Ford (late 80's, maybe early 90's) for sale. I wanted to pull in and take a look at it but the queen suggested that would be a bad idea.

Back