What is the single best vehicle to buy if you're a tightwad?

But that is the answer…

I’d second it with a Subaru Impreza or Crosstrek, AWD and many top notch features and ease of maintenance for an unrivaled price point.

I don't agree. Subaru delivers worse fuel economy, higher maintenance cost, and lower reliability than a regular FWD vehicle. Plus all four tires need to match. All bad things if you're trying to be as cheap as possible.

The chronicle in the grand marquis are nice cars to be in because they have that driving.The living room couched down the road.Feel to them. But for a tight-wad They are not a good pic.Because even though they are very low mainthey are very big.Gas hogs compared to what's available today.

I don't agree. Subaru delivers worse fuel economy, higher maintenance cost, and lower reliability than a regular FWD vehicle. Plus all four tires need to match. All bad things if you're trying to be as cheap as possible.
I was under the assumption that best meant most for money and value. Subaru has slightly higher maintenance cost than Toyota, yes tires need to match for the symmetrical AWD system, but fuel economy is only “worse” due to all wheel drive versus front only…

Subaru for the money is getting you a lot more in a lot of regards for the money than any other brand offers at low price points.

Subaru for the money is getting you a lot more in a lot of regards for the money than any other brand offers at low price points.
That's one of the problems with these "what's the best?" threads. After dividing a list into "good" and "bad" and tossing all the bad ones, we divide the good list into good, better, best. But then act as if anything less than the best is the worst. Good enough often gets left behind.

That's one of the problems with these "what's the best?" threads. After dividing a list into "good" and "bad" and tossing all the bad ones, we divide the good list into good, better, best. But then act as if anything less than the best is the worst. Good enough often gets left behind.
And every list needs to have the same three vehicles on it: Corolla, Camry and Crown Vic. Well, four if you include the Grand Marquis.

Doesn't matter what criteria we're looking for either; cheap commuter cars, sports cars, cargo-hauling cars, family vacation trucksters, kids' first car, whatever.

I would vote "No" on on Mit. Mirage based on crash tests. It's about the worst. Used, it would have to be a Corolla, Camry, Subaru Impresa, or Honda Civic. Statistically, your safe. Hyundai automatically gives you the remainder of the 5yr/60K warranty if you purchase a used model. New I would vote for an Elantra, Civic, or Corolla, Impresa. We've had several Elantra's/Souls and Impresa's in the family with no issues and high miles.

J body for the win……
I wouldn't take a free J body. First one ate vacuum pump then transmission so I sold it. The lady I later married, bought a nice J body wagon and low miles. 3 engines and 2 transmissions along with being stranded more times than I can think, she finally bought an Oldsmobile full size. I had nightmares thinking about it.

To spend the least and keep it the longest, you have to go as basic as possible (or you can tolerate) and do your preventative maintenance 2-3x more frequently than the manufacturer suggests. You have to be on top of rust proofing if you live in the rust belt.

I've seen too many examples of vehicles under 10yrs old with zero parts availability for parts that are required for the vehicle to run and/or pass inspection. Mainly electronics.

How'bout dealer service or otherwise that won't even work on a vehicle beyond a certain age. This is a thing today.

There really is no magic vehicle that checks all boxes anymore.

Last edited:
I would vote "No" on on Mit. Mirage based on crash tests. It's about the worst. Used, it would have to be a Corolla, Camry, Subaru Impresa, or Honda Civic. Statistically, your safe. Hyundai automatically gives you the remainder of the 5yr/60K warranty if you purchase a used model. New I would vote for an Elantra, Civic, or Corolla, Impresa. We've had several Elantra's/Souls and Impresa's in the family with no issues and high miles.
Crash test only a problem if you get in a crash. Crappy car a constant problem. I'll take my chances with the reliable car with bad crash test

Back