What is the single best vehicle to buy if you're a tightwad?

There's no mention of use case, but for a nice, dependable run around, I would look for a 1st gen Acura TSX. The mighty K24 asks for little besides regular oil change services. Service that trans too! Brakes are easy.

Our's has a measly 220K and is perfect.

I have 2 paid for 2016 4cyl Camrys. Oil changes batteries tires. They are the closest to being a maintenance free car I've ever had. They are generally acceptable in most things that a sedan has to do. Nothing outstanding. but for not breaking. I was gonna trade one in and get a used 4x4 Tacoma, but they are too big. and expensive. A sub 70K '16 Camry in hand is better than a used pickup in the wind I'm considering spending 5-6 K$ on getting the Rat roadworthy to satisfy my ratty ol' truck jones

Some poor people get by with domestics and make it work for them cheaper than buying a Toyota or Honda. If you're mechanically inclined and can source parts from a salvage yard, a crappy Chevy Cruze might be cheaper to own than a Corolla.

Mitsubishi Mirage G4. Cheap, reliable and doesn’t look ugly like the hatchback version. Only con is not safe because it’s so small.
you calling my GF's car ugly?
frosted blueberry.jpg

Don't have any better pics of it.. but she calls it "Blueberry".
...of course it's the CVT, but driving 40 mi a day, 5 days a week, she's only spending about $20 a week in gas...

as for the single cab, manual truck crowd, may i present my Nephew's first vehicle purchase: ($2200)
Screenshot_20210421-190909.jpg

that pic is a couple years old now (2020, 2021 ish), but it's still his DD for now.
1999 F150XL, Single cab, long bed, 5 speed, 3.8 Windsor v6, and up until the winter before he bought it, a Florida truck. ( no rust up to that point)
Looks way better in that pic than in person. Clear coat is gone in all the horizontal panels, hood looks like it was used as a cutting board at some point...
you can clearly see brush strokes in the silver paint on the wheels if you get any closer...

he's had to fully replace the brake system, and added a newer stereo ( factory unit had a tape deck, but was DOA) the first thing he did to this truck, before fixing anything, was add a remote actuated exhaust cut out...cuz he was 20...and a certified welder...

Last edited:
My vote:
1998 ~ 2011 Ford Panther Platform Car.

So cheap you will forget how to work on cars. Very stout and once some initial stupid stuff is taken care of they just run.

I would vote "No" on on Mit. Mirage based on crash tests. It's about the worst. Used, it would have to be a Corolla, Camry, Subaru Impresa, or Honda Civic. Statistically, your safe. Hyundai automatically gives you the remainder of the 5yr/60K warranty if you purchase a used model. New I would vote for an Elantra, Civic, or Corolla, Impresa. We've had several Elantra's/Souls and Impresa's in the family with no issues and high miles.
But it’s safer than almost any vehicle 6+ years older than it.

Anything Before 2010 would (by government standards) be considered a death trap now days.

For it’s weight it’s quite safe, the issue is 8000lb boxes

For a true tightwad, it would be mooching off someone else’s car.

My uncle has given a coworker a ride to work for years. It all started with a sob story and never ended. He refuses to buy a car due to financial reasons.

1. Camry, Good size, MPG, reliability, good resale

2. Civic, reliability, good resale, good MPG

3. Jetta S, Good driving dynamics, Manual Trans available, more fun than the two above.

I think tightwads buy used cars and therefore prefer ones with low resale values.

The question is moot. Define "tightwad". Tightness or looseness may be an error of perspective, no?

As others have noted, purchase cost is only a part of the puzzle.
Fuel consumption matters as well as do repair needs and costs, driven by the ability and willingness of the owner to work on the thing as well as the availability of parts new and used as well as a good local indie shop. Insurance costs matter as well.
Lots of variables and you will almost never lose money by paying more for something better, including something new.
The savvy cheapskate looks for low cost per mile of use over whatever lifespan he expects for the vehicle.

I'd suggest the 2024 Honda Civic Sport in hatchback form, with the naturally aspirated and port-injected K20 and 6MT. That's an engine and transmission combination that will go the distance without problems. In under $30K for a brand-new model, with 26/36 EPA ratings, a 2023 IIHS Top Safety Pick award, a compact exterior and spacious interior, and hatchback practicality. Civics are sold in the hundreds of thousands every year, meaning parts will be available for a long, long time.

Back