What is the riskiest used car to buy?

I looked at 2012 with the Bose system and it sounded pretty good but I think it might have been on its last legs because the ICE was running all the time.

Yeah no Bose system here. Other things to note about the first gen Volt it scrapes on everything leaving every parking lot… I’m contemplating removing the black plastic thing underneath the front bumper. Also the stock headlights suck. LEDs make it tolerable but it’s just a crappy projector design I think because it’s still mediocre at best. I’ll probably post a full review soon.

i kinda like my german cars, they are a pain to work on. most cars have little problems where the blinkers or radio or something small doesn't work or is finicky, German cars its always something expensive you have to fix right away, but it's easy to diagnose. (like the throughout bearing shattering) German cars always drive really good and are comfortable. don't buy one if you can't fix it yourself.

My guess would be a used, 22,000 mile, 7 speed manual trans Porsche 911 with rotors worn to the point where there is a visible lip on all 4 corners. I'd say that saw a few track days.

How about a ‘79 Ford Pinto.
4ABD764C-C583-4D9D-943A-337B54CF851C.jpeg

1) The Pinto was gone before people began routinely rear ending cars due to texting.....wheew!
2) Johnny Carson actually told a joke involving burning prisoners (presumably, to death)?
Was that aired or reported in a gossip rag?

So I have been looking a little at Chevrolet Volts recently. I'm starting to think that a Gen 1 (2011-2015) Volt is one of the riskiest used car buys, here's why:

• They didn't make many of them, so there's not a ton of junkyard parts out there. Also, not a lot of knowledge on how to fix them.
  • The battery is really expensive to replace - around $6-10k for a "refurbished" one.
  • There is no new battery available, and the refurbished options only offer a short warranty.
  • The health of the battery is hard to tell from a test drive, most of the 1st gens may be getting close to the end of battery life, but is that six years or six weeks away?
  • They aren't that cheap. The bottom of the market seems like it's $5-6k for the oldest, highest mileage gen 1s and close to $15k for the newest models in this generation.
What about you? Can you think of a used car that is a bigger roll of the dice?
As a former Volt owner, you are correct.

I had a 2014 purchased new and was my wife's favorite car of all time. It was perfect for 8 years (56K miles) and then, just out of warranty, the battery failed. Dealer wanted $20K to replace it. Car was worth $13K. Swapped in a junkyard battery and sent it packing. No more EV's for me.

The Volt is a very cool car. It's a shame GM cancelled it. It was way ahead of its time. GM spent a massive amount of R&D money on the Volt. On the first gen, they actually used a CT Scanner to X-Ray every battery to check for defects.

In addition, I would add to your list, very few people know how to work on them (including dealers) and new parts are hard to find.

So I have been looking a little at Chevrolet Volts recently. I'm starting to think that a Gen 1 (2011-2015) Volt is one of the riskiest used car buys, here's why:

• They didn't make many of them, so there's not a ton of junkyard parts out there. Also, not a lot of knowledge on how to fix them.
  • The battery is really expensive to replace - around $6-10k for a "refurbished" one.
  • There is no new battery available, and the refurbished options only offer a short warranty.
  • The health of the battery is hard to tell from a test drive, most of the 1st gens may be getting close to the end of battery life, but is that six years or six weeks away?
  • They aren't that cheap. The bottom of the market seems like it's $5-6k for the oldest, highest mileage gen 1s and close to $15k for the newest models in this generation.
What about you? Can you think of a used car that is a bigger roll of the dice?
There are a number of battery repair places that can take care of or extend the life. You want risky an early model Tesla hands down. Many early model S literally vary in parts and fitment year-to-year. The first year model y had 3 frunk revisions in 4 months. A 2015 model s is a one year only when it comes to the bumper bolt bracket and bolt pattern. My dads boss' sister had a 2015 model s. It was hit in the rear bumper. Tesla said the 2016 was completely different and not compatible nor able to be retrofitted. It was totalled by insurance.

Actually if you want REALLY risky and odd a VW Touareg Hybrid. I think they only were offered for 3ish years. I didn't even know they offered a hybrid model until I worked at a VW dealership. They (VW) somehow completely messed up. The Touareg hybrid could only be repaired at specific dealerships with extensive training unlike a Prius that could be repaired at any Toyota dealership. That and from what vw VW dealership owners said it was a huge investment to be able to sell any.

As a former Volt owner, you are correct.

I had a 2014 purchased new and was my wife's favorite car of all time. It was perfect for 8 years (56K miles) and then, just out of warranty, the battery failed. Dealer wanted $20K to replace it. Car was worth $13K. Swapped in a junkyard battery and sent it packing. No more EV's for me.

The Volt is a very cool car. It's a shame GM cancelled it. It was way ahead of its time. GM spent a massive amount of R&D money on the Volt. On the first gen, they actually used a CT Scanner to X-Ray every battery to check for defects.

In addition, I would add to your list, very few people know how to work on them (including dealers) and new parts are hard to find.
That’s sad to hear. Hope my 15’s battery makes it all the way through my 72 month loan haha. What was the failure? Did it just run the ICE all the time? Less range? Or undriveable?

That’s sad to hear. Hope my 15’s battery makes it all the way through my 72 month loan haha. What was the failure? Did it just run the ICE all the time? Less range? Or undriveable?
Here's the whole story. That Volt was hands down the most reliable and inexpensive car we ever owned (until it wasn't). It is also the only car that has ever left us stranded (albeit, at home). Volty led a sheltered life. At home, it lived in a heated and cooled garage, and at work, an underground garage. It looked brand new.

Then, one morning, my wife got in the trusty Volt to go to work. She pushed the start button and... everything looked normal, but the check engine light was on and there was a cryptic error message on the display. The gear shifter was locked and the car wouldn't move. It was DRT. I put her in our gas-powered Toyota and sent her off to work.

It took a while to figure out what had happened. There is a circuit inside the battery case that runs a routine at startup to make sure there is no high voltage "leaking" to ground. This is a safety check to ensure the high voltage system is isolated. It permanently disconnects the battery if the check fails. The circuit failed, and by default, disconnected the battery. Replacement requires pulling the battery and cracking it open. I was unable to find the part and didn't really want to work around a 400 volt battery anyway, so I swapped the whole thing. The battery itself was in great shape. I sold it to a guy that was setting up an off-grid power supply.

The Volt is incredibly well engineered, but also incredibly complex. It will not run on just the engine. The battery and high voltage system must be operational.

If your Volt was originally sold in California, it should have a 10 year 150k mile warranty on the battery and maybe other related (Voltec) components. If that is the case, you should be good to go for a couple of more years (but don't keep it out of warranty).

I wish you the best of luck with it.

Back