What Is The Purpose Of A 12 AA Cell Large Flashlight ?

I just bought D cells to replace the ones in my old school Maglites. My auto cat feeder uses D cells also.
I've got a mattress pump that runs on 4 D cells, although I use D to 3AA adapters in it and load it with rechargeable AA NiMH cells whenever we go camping.

Also, there was some talk a while back about which batteries sell out the fastest in an emergency (like when hurricane is approaching). I can't recall now which one it was, but probably AA since it's the most popular. Sometimes it's good to have one or two flashlights in your arsenal that take an odd size battery that nobody else wants to buy. :)

A lot of people are missing the point about C or D vs AA or AAA batteries. Yeah, C and D batteries still exist but go to any store and look at the battery selections. How many choices do you have of each ? We all know the answer....

I have to wonder if this isn’t design reuse. I don’t see a manual, but I know a lot of the cheap flashlights use a plastic holder to use 3 AAA’s.
This is common with HF flashlights, many of the "tactical" flashlights on Amazon that are sold under hundreds of different brand names, and so on. If I'm not mistaken, the diameter of 18650 batteries is the same (or close enough) too and the length is the same as (2) AA or AAA batteries stacked lengthwise.

Haha, I remember those too ! They are, literally, "lantern batteries".
Heck yeah! As a kid I thought they were sweet! And they were indestructible. My dad had a big yellow Ray O Vac lantern. I think I still have it. I remember you could dunk them underwater and everything.

If I'm not mistaken, the diameter of 18650 batteries is the same (or close enough) too and the length is the same as (2) AA or AAA batteries stacked lengthwise.
My one flashlight that takes 3xAAA (in a cartridge/holder) has a tube that's wider than a standard 18650 cell, but not overly so. I've used an 18650 cell in it just by wrapping some electrical tape around it to thicken it up a bit. Length was not an issue. A 21700 cell would be a better fit from a width perspective, but then it might be too long.

lol, 12 batteries! No way I'd want to juggle that many to get a single flashlight running.

It does look like it's 4.5V as 4S3P. That is a larger diameter than C cells even if you did try to adapt both ends but then could use a spacer tube. "Maybe" D cells would fit without both ends of the cartridge taking up some of the length, and the tailcap wouldn't be hard to mod to put in a spring for that, but the other end, if the head doesn't come off the body tube, that could be more of a challenge.

Meh not worth it.

I've used an 18650 cell in it just by wrapping some electrical tape around it to thicken it up a bit.
I have some flashlights at work (bought off Amazon) that use either a cartridge that holds (3) AA or AAA (can't remember) batteries or can use an 18650 or similar. They include a clear, plastic tube that the single battery fits inside, presumably to make up the needed diameter.

I have some flashlights at work (bought off Amazon) that use either a cartridge that holds (3) AA or AAA (can't remember) batteries or can use an 18650 or similar. They include a clear, plastic tube that the single battery fits inside, presumably to make up the needed diameter.
Would have to be 3xAAA then. 3xAA cartridge has a diameter of a D cell battery.

Can you imagine how big a flashlight would be having 12 series connected C or D cells ?

I wouldn't buy such a flash light requiring 12 batteries.. The batteries probably cost more than the flashlight.
I guarantee you there would be at lest 10 BITOG's waiting in line to buy a 3 foot tall flashlight like that...you may have stumbled onto something here.

When I was in the military (been out a few years) it was easy to get AA batteries from the Q-store, but I never saw the other sizes.

To me AA = military and civilian,
While C or D = civilian only.

But that was just me and my supply chain, probably different for others.

Back