What is the OEM Mercedes oil these days? (new C63 owner)

Traded in my truck for a 2021 Mercedes C63 S sedan, which will be my first-ever Mercedes. I've owned BMW and Audi in the past and am fairly familiar with the German uber sedans. :)

Who is making the OEM Mercedes oil? I see Mercedes is aligned with Mobil 1 and I believe this motor (M177) requires 229.5. There is an "AMG High Performance" motor oil which is 0w40, and a non-AMG which is 5w40. The specs on the 0w40 look similar to M1 but the kinematic viscosities aren't exactly the same.

Pic of the new whip below.

IMG_0912.jpeg

Beautiful car Dan! Yes, I believe the AMG oil is Mobil 1.

Interesting as the MSDS shows some different figures versus the Mobil 1 published specs. Maybe they are tweaking it for Mercedes? The bottle is also different and it is made in Belgium.

OK, here we go. What does the manual say? I mean BESIDES Genuine Mercedes Benz Oil.
229.5 I'm thinking. Anyway, I've used the Mobil 1 Euro 0W-40 (good), Pennzoil FS (GTL) Euro 5-40 (V6 loved that) and finally settled on Ravenol VST 5W-40 (229.5) PAO. The 2.0 Turbo LOVES that stuff! HTHS 3.9 here in the heat of Florida. You might feel the same.
Mobil1a.jpg

OK, here we go. What does the manual say? I mean BESIDES Genuine Mercedes Benz Oil.
229.5 I'm thinking. Anyway, I've used the Mobil 1 Euro 0W-40 (good), Pennzoil FS (GTL) Euro 5-40 (V6 loved that) and finally settled on Ravenol VST 5W-40 (229.5) PAO. The 2.0 Turbo LOVES that stuff! HTHS 3.9 here in the heat of Florida. You might feel the same.

Correct, it says 229.5, a very similar spec to what the other German brands require (many oils with 299.5 approval also have the BMW and VW/Audi approvals). I was more curious about what the OEM oil is, as it doesn't appear to be a simple relabel of M1 0w40.

When I briefly had an S Class with that engine (less power but still 2 turbos) I noticed that that engine puts out a LOT of heat. So much that I didn't want to park it in my hot FL garage.
Nothing wrong with that or the car, but just an observation.

Yeah. Probably why they call it "Genuine" MB oil. I'd imagine it meets the same specs however. Truthfully the oil didn't seem to be too expensive at the dealership.
The Ravenol is $10 a liter, delivered.

Interesting as the MSDS shows some different figures versus the Mobil 1 published specs. Maybe they are tweaking it for Mercedes? The bottle is also different and it is made in Belgium.

Yes, definitely interesting, as the PAO CAS # from the Mercedes sheet matches with the "old" 0w-40 American sheet, and not the new PAO CAS # from the updated (current) sheet:
Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 10.22.59 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 10.29.49 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 12.50.16 PM.jpg

Yes, definitely interesting, as the PAO CAS # from the Mercedes sheet matches with the "old" 0w-40 American sheet, and not the new PAO CAS # from the updated (current) sheet:

A 000 989 81 02 11 BIBU Mercedes-AMG High Performance Engine Oil SAE 0W-40 MB 229.5
Print date 19.02.20
Revision date 05.09.2017

Yeah, might be that they haven't adopted the new formula yet. Interestingly, that part number shows as discontinued. I wonder if they've just standardized on the 5w40 for all of their gassers now? In that case, these two products exist:

Except the MSDS sheets don't match...again.

How many have you driven? I have two and every time I drive it, I'm thinking it's a nice car. Then I drive the other one and I still can't figure out which one I like better.
Inside joke. Zee09 was teasing the anti-German crowd. We have a few who refer to German cars in derogatory terms.

A 000 989 81 02 11 BIBU Mercedes-AMG High Performance Engine Oil SAE 0W-40 MB 229.5
Print date 19.02.20
Revision date 05.09.2017

Yeah, might be that they haven't adopted the new formula yet. Interestingly, that part number shows as discontinued. I wonder if they've just standardized on the 5w40 for all of their gassers now? In that case, these two products exist:

Except the MSDS sheets don't match...again.
My understanding is that the non-AMG oils aren't Mobil, I think Petronas?

I used the most recent AMG 0w-40 data sheet, there are like 6 or so of them, three from 2017, three from 2020.

I was going to say I prefer the E63 or the E63 wagons but I guess they don't have those available at least for now. The E63 wagons used to really hold their value, just a little bit more list price wise but on the resale market, they were always worth a lot more than the regular sedans.

Back