What is the newest oil you've purchased?

I was wondering what the newest/freshest oil that everyone has purchased or found in their travels. I just got 2x jugs of Valvoline European 5w30 dated for 7/8/2023 which is now 3 weeks old, the order was placed 7/24 and then delivered on 7/28. I ordered directly from Valvoline and was offering a promo for a free hat when purchasing a 5 qt jug of their oil. The hat is a cheapy but can't really expect much for being a free gift but something that I'll wear at work or when working on the vehicles. I noticed the pictures on Valvoline's website doesn't match the ones I received, the front and back labels are different, I know it doesn't really matter as it's just a marketing design change and more like how they make fast food look so appealing on television in comparison to what you're actually getting.

PXL_20230729_140306806.jpg

ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I get emails from Valvoline all the time. Buying their products from the Valvoline website is expensive, in comparison to Walmart, Meijer or sales from the likes of Advance Auto, Auto Zone or O'Reilly's.

Just a couple weeks ago, I wanted that Valvoline baseball cap really bad. But I'm not spending around $45 for a five quart jug of Valvoline Syn EP and the baseball cap..

I never even took the offer to the next step and found out whether or not they would charge me shipping. So I just backed-out of their website and probably came here to talk Rebates or UOAs with BITOG members.

Last edited:
I never thought to look for a production date. ......another thing to clutter my head (kidding).
Thanks, I know most members are concerned with being too old (production dates).

I get emails from Valvoline all the time. Buying their products from the Valvoline website is expensive, in comparison to Walmart or sales from the likes of Advance Auto, Auto Zone or O'Reilly's.
Oh yes they are, the more you purchase they increase the discount but they are still high, I did get free shipping and don't really plan on buying too many things from them. I just wanted to try their European oil as it's very similar to Pennzoil's which is easily available from Walmart on the shelf and also cheaper.

I never buy oil anymore from Advance/AutoZone/Napa, etc... even when they offer their oil change specials it's not a good deal, you can buy the oil way cheaper from Walmart or even Amazon and still get to use your choice of oil filter and still come out ahead.

I was wondering what the newest/freshest oil that everyone has purchased or found in their travels. I just got 2x jugs of Valvoline European 5w30 dated for 7/8/2023 which is now 3 weeks old, the order was placed 7/24 and then delivered on 7/28. I ordered directly from Valvoline and was offering a promo for a free hat when purchasing a 5 qt jug of their oil. The hat is a cheapy but can't really expect much for being a free gift but something that I'll wear at work or when working on the vehicles. I noticed the pictures on Valvoline's website doesn't match the ones I received, the front and back labels are different, I know it doesn't really matter as it's just a marketing design change and more like how they make fast food look so appealing on television in comparison to what you're actually getting.

View attachment 169386

View attachment 169389
What kind of pricing did you get if you don't mind?

What kind of pricing did you get if you don't mind?
Each jug was $32.39, the hat was $8.99 but then free... came out to $68.20 including tax w/ free shipping.

Yes you can still find synthetic 5 qt jugs around the mid $20 range but most are high $20's to up in the $30 range... especially Mobil 1 with Walmart pricing, the parts stores are all around $39.99 which is a total ripoff imo.

Last edited:
Each jug was $32.39, the hat was $8.99 but then free... came out to $68.20 including tax w/ free shipping.

Yes you can still find synthetic 5 qt jugs around the mid $20 range but most are high $20's to up in the $30 range... especially Mobil 1 with Walmart pricing, the parts stores are all around $39.99 which is a total ripoff imo.
Amazon once stalled my delivery of this oil for 3 months.
Not easy to get. I'd pay extra and go direct. Thanks.

One EP jug with hat was around $42 with tax. I didn't see the text that offers bigger discounts when more jugs are purchased.

If I recall correctly when investigating the Valvoline Euro stuff, it was not SP. If I recall correctly, it was SN.
All I buy these days for my Hyunkia vehicles is SP.
What does it read on your jug?.... SP or SN?

I didn't want that oil. I only wanted the hat. My oil choices in 2023 are Pennzoil, Mobil-1 and Castrol EP. None of these reads more than 950'ish Calcium - all three have a big dose of Magnesium and Valvoline's EP reads mid-1400s Calcium and lower level of Magnesium. But I have to admit that both of our rides runs best & super quiet on Valvoline. Maybe it's the extra buttery smooth Moly....lol

Last edited:
One EP jug with hat was $42 with tax.

If I recall correctly when investigating the Valvoline Euro stuff, it was not SP. If I recall correctly, it was SN.
All I buy these days for my Hyunkia vehicles is SP.
What does it read on your jug?.... SP or SN?
Mine is rated SP and it's the 5w30 XL-III, evidently they had another 5w30 that was SL rated so I'm sure the SP has phased that one out.

Here is a link to the file on their website.
https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd1/60ae2c8d-759c-e911-9c25-ac162d889bd1

I never buy oil anymore from Advance/AutoZone/Napa, etc... even when they offer their oil change specials it's not a good deal, you can buy the oil way cheaper from Walmart or even Amazon and still get to use your choice of oil filter and still come out ahead.

Perhaps you missed the 12 page AAP clearance oil thread. If walmart sells 5qt of 507 oil for < $8, i'm game.

It pays to "keep one's eyes peeled" for the best options and strike, regardless of who the seller may be. JMO

Reactions: wlk
Perhaps you missed the 12 page AAP clearance oil thread. If walmart sells 5qt of 507 oil for < $8, i'm game.

It pays to "keep one's eyes peeled" for the best options and strike, regardless of who the seller may be. JMO
They never have those "clearance sales" in my area, same with AutoZone, a long time ago they supposedly had Chevron Delo significantly marked down but nope not here. That thread was for Total Quartz which has never been sold in my area.

That is true but for us that no longer buy to stock up it doesn't mean much.
Nowadays I like to buy just before I need it. I may buy a bit extra but not hoard any.
I also don't keep cars long and the specs change often.

Just purchased a jug of Valvoline Extended Protection full syn, 5W30 for the 99 Corolla in my sig. $28 with an additional $5 off with “snap and save”.

Maybe so, but the point is well taken that the chain auto parts stores don't even try to compete with WM and Amazon. One of the things they like to do is bundle a mediocre filter with an okay oil for around $40. All for opportunistic huge savings, like 5 qts of oil for less than $8. Also, what is "507 Oil?" Probably will be embarrassed in two seconds as something I should know.

Maybe so, but the point is well taken that the chain auto parts stores don't even try to compete with WM and Amazon. One of the things they like to do is bundle a mediocre filter with an okay oil for around $40. All for opportunistic huge savings, like 5 qts of oil for less than $8. Also, what is "507 Oil?" Probably will be embarrassed in two seconds as something I should know.
507 is a VW specification of oil.

Not a bad deal. You can get 3 jugs as you know for $95.01 and first time buyers get another 10% off (email code)
and free shipping. I can ship mine to DE. so, no tax. Pretty good for a VW 504 oil

Back