What is the best VW 504/507 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, that MSDS is alarming but could possibly be for an older formulation? There's 10% ester but I can't see pao/polydecene anywhere. There are false advertising laws, why would they bother taking the risk?
You cannot base the composition of oil only on MSDS. This was addressed since this forum exits and after that numerous times. MSDS only indicates harmful components that emergency personnel needs to know about. Mannol MSDS does not say anything useful. If they posted performance numbers we could find more, but they don't even do that, which is telling.

Mannol is not available on Russian oil club.
Mannol is cheap oil. It was always cheap oil. When I worked on these things it was an afterthought of an oil. From those days in Germany, Aral had a pretty good reputation.
Everything I have seen on Mannol website indicates a lot of chest pumping and nothing to back up. They do not post any performance numbers.
Also, pour point -42? Yeah, Group III all the way. Maybe some POE addition to bump some performance numbers, but that is it. But that is a problem, not something to brag. That means that Mannol cannot achieve the results they want without POE. They are trying to make cheap oil, they would gladly use Group III like Castrol, but they cannot achieve what they want without POE. Which begs the question about overall performance of oil. Noack of 12.8% indicates that.
The business end of the lube is the add pack as you know.

Not many oil companies have proprietary add pack, they're just off the peg add packs from Lubrizol, oronite etc.

I'll see what reply I get then let you know.

The business end of the lube is the add pack as you know.

Not many oil companies have proprietary add pack, they're just off the peg add packs from Lubrizol, oronite etc.

I'll see what reply I get then let you know.
It is more than ad pack. Otherwise, why bother with everything else? All companies are in business of making money. If it was that simple, everyone would be using cheapest base stocks etc.

@OldCowboy: Did I say what I think? I was asking a question. You said:

"The Mobil oil takes 1st place because the MB 229.52 spec gives it the best fuel economy."

In real world the thinnest oil will provide the most FE gain. It's not KV100 alone, don't miss HTHS.

It's "Mobil" btw..
in real world FE does not come from oil..its all marketing tricks..on may 2016 motul made an intro with 5-30 fe and on November they replaced it with EFE..lets say you use an FE oil and i use from the same oil brand a same viscosity oil..and you accelerate stepping on the gas pedal like a heavy rock and i go normal ,you think FE oil will make you more efficient? nope, its all marketing ..

Kalimera, Alex.
You must have gotten me wrong, dude. That's not actually what I was saying.
Let me use different words for you:
IF at all any PCMO will give you any gain in fuel efficiency, it will be a thinner oil,
not a 'magic' additive pack, at least not so much as going thinner. Actually there
is some potential, and that's exactly why we see manufacturers using 0W-20 and
even 0W-16 oils, but you're right, the gain is tiny, as it's in the 0.5 % range for real
world driving.
Since VW 504 00 mandates a minimum HTHS of 3.5 mPas and very most 504 00
are exactly this 3.5 mPas or 3.6 mPas at best, and I'm running a VW 504 00 with a
HTHS of 3.7 mPas (perhaps the only VW 504 00 approved oil with HTHS 3.7 mPas)
I'm certainly not a proponent of thin oils.

in real world FE does not come from oil..its all marketing tricks..on may 2016 motul made an intro with 5-30 fe and on November they replaced it with EFE..lets say you use an FE oil and i use from the same oil brand a same viscosity oil..and you accelerate stepping on the gas pedal like a heavy rock and i go normal ,you think FE oil will make you more efficient? nope, its all marketing ..
More nonsensical rambling. Yes a thinner oil saves fuel as documented by standardized tests. You again have no idea what you’re talking about.

Physics matters.

Castrol recently responded via email and let me know that they have a new 0W-30 504/507 LL gold bottle product coming out in spring 2022 to address VW’s recent “0W-30 and VW 504” requirements that have been coming on new vehicles. I’d bet it’s going to be a repackaged dealer 0w-30 professional.

I am dead 😂

More nonsensical rambling. Yes a thinner oil saves fuel as documented by standardized tests. You again have no idea what you’re talking about.

Physics matters.
oh yeah,standardized tests,yeah ,right?:unsure: the same ones that reassure us that an oil is longlife after 20.000 km? :oops: now if thats rambling!!! now let me give you a lesson,friendly. physics is good for laboratories but sometimes fails in reality..

You cannot base the composition of oil only on MSDS. This was addressed since this forum exits and after that numerous times. MSDS only indicates harmful components that emergency personnel needs to know about. Mannol MSDS does not say anything useful. If they posted performance numbers we could find more, but they don't even do that, which is telling.
so what ever,whenever suits you, MSDS does not saying anything usefull, but i remember you sometimes judging an oil through its msds. but now that our friend uses it you fail him..

so what ever,whenever suits you, MSDS does not saying anything usefull, but i remember you sometimes judging an oil through its msds. but now that our friend uses it you fail him..
You can find certain components through msds. If blender states 50% GTL, you know there is good chunk of GTL.
Mobil1 for 0W40FS states good chunk of GTL and PAO. But doesn’t mention esters that are also present in oil. So, blender will never tell you full composition of an oil in msds. You can get some picture of what is going on.

Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 is my favourite

Reality is severely lacking here.
do you have any of your own tests? nope..well then i can beleive what ever i want since oil companies are like just like any other company in the world.they post some laboratory tests which how do we know its true?

on the other hand i can show you proof, bmw says that petrol consumption for a model is for example 6-6.5..but in reality you never get that..always 2 points up ,at least 8.00..do you know why? because these measurements of the oils are done in a scientific environment without all these reality parameters that happen in life..same with SE oils..
thats the reality my friend..

p.s USA was the first country that complain about the VW diesel consumption gate, remember? but i guess when you learned it ,you said WITH EPIC CRITISM OF YOURS, ""that severe reality is lacking here'' and kept driving relaxed that what you know is from god to you!! 🤣

Do you have any scientific education at all? Any?

So ASTM D6837 and D8114 are inaccurate and give no statistically significant results IRT fuel economy but your ad hoc driving skills do? The real idiocy in your statement is that those "reality parameters that happen in life" are precisely the things that utterly invalidate any perceived results you are imagining. If you actually had education and experience in obtaining results from experiments you would know that in reality there is almost never any such thing as a "real world" test since there are far too many uncontrolled variables, and the "results" are nearly always meaningless. People think it sounds good and it makes for cool YouTube videos sometimes but the truth is that one does not obtain verifiable and significant results by any such test. You get your imagination stroked but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back