What is the best gas station?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try to stick with gas stations that get a lot of traffic - quicker turnover means less chance of getting some old stale gas. Been using Shell most of the time - Dyson seems to think their add pack is better than most.

I personally use BP w/ Invigorate 93 octane. I like the preformance I get from useing that. Unlike some who will buy anygas anywhere as long as its a good price, I find a fuel that has great additives and of a high quality. Then I look for a station near me that has very good workers. I have been going to the same station for 1.5 years for all my gas. They know me by name, I know them by name. A nice family from Iran owns the station. They allways top off my wind shield washer fluid, they clean all my glass with windex and papertowels, ect. . .

So Insted of saving 3-4 cents a gallon by shopping around, I have a great relationship with my fuel supplier, and I get a quality product to boot.

I would suggest this to everyone to do.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
my wife swears BP gas gives her better mpg than the others.
here in PA right next to NJ, there is like a .30/gal difference in price, so most all folks here go across the river. there is actually a station right next to the PA/NJ bridge here on the NJ side (called US gas, run by Russians), most of the cars there are from PA. go over, gas up, get right back on the bridge. no toll, either.
my wife will still pass them and go 1.5miles down the road to the BP.

I just went past that BP station Last Tuesday night! Maybe I`ll give them a try.What is the best time to get over their (less crowded)?

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
I personally use BP w/ Invigorate 93 octane. I like the preformance I get from useing that. Unlike some who will buy anygas anywhere as long as its a good price, I find a fuel that has great additives and of a high quality. Then I look for a station near me that has very good workers. I have been going to the same station for 1.5 years for all my gas. They know me by name, I know them by name. A nice family from Iran owns the station. They allways top off my wind shield washer fluid, they clean all my glass with windex and papertowels, ect. . .

So Insted of saving 3-4 cents a gallon by shopping around, I have a great relationship with my fuel supplier, and I get a quality product to boot.

I would suggest this to everyone to do.

There's a Chevron "service station" about 10 miles from me in a western suburb. They actually have a full serve lane, for the little old ladies in Cadillacs who don't know how to pump their own, and two service bays for things like oil changes, A/C service, etc. When I'm in that area and need fuel, I often stop there.

The weird thing is that they are no more expensive than the Exxon convenience store on one corner, and much cheaper than the BP store across the street.

I have a 2008 Ford Ranger, and on the fill cap and in the maunal, Ford reccomends BP gas. This is the first time I ever saw a car maunfacturer reccomend a specific brand of fuel.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
here in PA right next to NJ, there is like a .30/gal difference in price, so most all folks here go across the river. there is actually a station right next to the PA/NJ bridge here on the NJ side (called US gas, run by Russians), most of the cars there are from PA. go over, gas up, get right back on the bridge. no toll, either.

I just went past that BP station Last Tuesday night! Maybe I`ll give them a try.What is the best time to get over theRE (less crowded)?

I've never been in line there longer than one car deep. if I go over there in the afternoon, getting back to the free bridge is what takes the longest time- everyone who works in NJ is coming home that way. I've made a quick run over there early in the morning too, not crowded at all.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

I just went past that BP station Last Tuesday night! Maybe I`ll give them a try.What is the best time to get over theRE (less crowded)?

I've never been in line there longer than one car deep. if I go over there in the afternoon, getting back to the free bridge is what takes the longest time- everyone who works in NJ is coming home that way. I've made a quick run over there early in the morning too, not crowded at all.

Cool,thanks.

Originally Posted By: Saab9-3
Shell 94 is full of alcohol. Not a fan of it

Most gas today is, sorry to say.

I go to an Ultramar about 6 miles from my house - cheapest gas in the area, by at least 2 cents/liter.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I go to an Ultramar about 6 miles from my house - cheapest gas in the area, by at least 2 cents/liter.

Is the gas your using to get the 6 miles there and back worth the 2 cents savings???

I mainly use Chevron and get it from the same 2 stations, though I have used BP and my Mustang seems to run exactly the same on it.

Large brands may have slightly better additives in them. Water is a tank issue and can be from low usage. Try to pick a station that is busy and pumps alot of gallons every week.

I use to buy gas at budget gas stations. I now try to stick with Sunoco, Marathon and Shell when I can.

**I used to obsess over 5-10 cents a gallon difference and then realized that it only made a difference of 50 cents-2 dollars a tank when I gassed up. I am done stressing myself out!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Flyboy6258
I have a 2008 Ford Ranger, and on the fill cap and in the maunal, Ford reccomends BP gas. This is the first time I ever saw a car maunfacturer reccomend a specific brand of fuel.

In the USA/Canada market. Europe's car makers are often aligned with a fuel/oil brand. Unusual in the USA for fear of antitrust concerns between car makers and oil companies, particularly 1950s: GM & Standard Oil NJ/Esso (ExxonMobil).

It's good timing to see this thread.

I just switched to Shell since it's next door to my office. I filled the TL up and the girlfriend's '07 Murano. I didn't tell her I switched because she could care less.

Over the course of the week, it seemed like the TL was going through it's tank slower than normal. Later on, the girlfriend noticed the same thing in the Murano wihtout me saying anything to her about the TL.

Both cars will ping on premium 91 so I figure we could've lucked out and gotten an extra octane or two or the more likely suspect is the Shell pumps auto-shutoff later than the Chevron pumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back