What is Purolator Micronic Media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it filters better, but what it is made of? Is it cellulose, blend, or synthetic fiber? Anyone knows?

[ October 17, 2005, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Jonny Z ]

quote:

Originally posted by 99:
www.pureoil.com

Yeah they tell me it's great and all but it does not tell me how it is made.
dunno.gif

Geez...I guess some people are never satisfied..lol

Doubt Purolator would give you a straight answer anyway..
tongue.gif

From a 1977 Purolator catalog page for the PER-1 ( PH8A):
"Available in Micronic resin impregnated cellulose, combination Micronic and wound viscose rayon, or all wound viscose rayon elements."

From a 1992 catalog page ( for a hydraulic element where there are 4 different media options):
The Micronic Element- A resin impregnated cellulose fiber construction that contains semi-depth pleating and high temperature curing. This curing transforms the basic structure into a durable heat-shock and chemical-resistant filter medium.

So read them those descriptions and see what they say about a filter built in 2005 with "Micronic" media....

As you say..ask Purolator.

Then post it in here.

I have given some history on the useage of the terminology. As i said i've heard about "Micronic" for years and years.

However, i'd bet the 350 million dollar lottery winnings that the actual media blend has changed since 1977..

As to what it is now..ask them.

99..it was Jonny Z who asked the question. That is who the answer was for as apparently Purolator isn't forthcoming with info on what "Micronic" is.

It is a blended media of cellulose and synthetics. Unless someone from Purolator wants to provide other information.

Why it is hard for them to admit it in their literature is an interesting point with forums such as this debating the issues of cellulose, blended media, synthetic and other exotics.

I would hazard a guess it is because of the "mystery" as to what Micronic is to some 20 year old changing oil for the first time who is standing in a parts store, Micronic must be exotic and a "special" deal. Much as "Duraguard" or "Microglass" might be or other marketing whiz bang terms for media.

So why not explain in your brochure or website? If one looks at the picture of the Pure One on the website the media looks like any ordinary paper ( cellulose) media. So why not explain what "Micronic" is.

Of course their standard oil filter PER-1 had Micronic media in 1977, so what makes this "micronic" media different? That was their "cheap" filter and not their premium one they market today. Could it be..horror of horrors..that all their oil filters are "Micronic" but some of their product have different degrees of micronic than others but they don't want to have to explain that to joe consumer.... just an educated guess btw...

I don't need to call them for clarification. I loyaly use Purolators/Motorcrafts and will until I no longer inhabit this spinning rock.

And I'm quite sure their filtering media has evolved since it's inception in the 70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back