What is or will be your Mid-Life Crisis car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had too many fun cars, always looking for the next one. Still love the old SRT8.

I'm hoping to get a real exotic someday, hopefully Italian.

My mid life crisis vehicle is a BOAT!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
My mid life crisis vehicle is a BOAT!

Actually the crisis starts when you buy the boat. I have had 11 of them. The last one was a 35' Silverton Yacht. I sold it a few years ago and in doing so, gave myself a tax free $25,000 per year pay raise. No more boats, ever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Some kind of collector's car that is appreciating in value.

Beat the rush and get something about 25 years old. That's when stuff bottoms out. 3rd gen F-bodies, Fox Body Mustangs, or even clean 80's Civics/ CRXs/ Celicas etc.

You want something that everyone wanted as a teenager and will want to buy when they're 50. Also something that was boring enough 95% of them were crushed but yet still unique enough to proudly represent the brand.

People like the top shelf K-cars with talking voice computers etc as a cheezeball 80's relic for example.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Beat the rush and get something about 25 years old. That's when stuff bottoms out. 3rd gen F-bodies, Fox Body Mustangs, or even clean 80's Civics/ CRXs/ Celicas etc.

You want something that everyone wanted as a teenager and will want to buy when they're 50. Also something that was boring enough 95% of them were crushed but yet still unique enough to proudly represent the brand.

People like the top shelf K-cars with talking voice computers etc as a cheezeball 80's relic for example.

Recently we were at the beach and there was a massive classic car show. Lots of 30s-70s cars, with a big concentration of 50s-early 70s cars. Then a bimodal distribution with a bunch of much more recent mustangs and corvettes.

Made me wonder, will the 50s-60s iconic and muscle cars ever depreciate, as the next generation wants something newer/different, which unlike the cars from the lull of emissions strapped late 70s-80s, will actually be substantially higher performing and more comfortable?

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I'm not so sure 80's car will ever appreciate the way 60's muscle cars have......The Turbo Regals never really hit bottom but I don't see them ever reaching 6 digits either. Mid-Late 70's cars never went anywhere.

Baby Boomers with their incessant appetite for nostalgia is what caused muscle cars to demand the money they do.

1990-1994 Acura NSX. A regret not picking one up in 2004 for $30k in pristine shape with 36k miles. Picked up a lame WRX brand new instead.

Retired police cruiser : 1974 Dodge Monaco : It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. Smokes like a train.

Last edited:
I've had performance cars from the very start. Currently drive a 407RWHP S2000. At no point have I felt like I needed a mid life crisis car. HOWEVER, I have always longed for a GTP race car on the street. So, if I were to fulfill that dream, well past "midlife" now, it would be something like:

93612fd2ff09e1c25081040729716ee4.jpg

1990-nissan-83-road-atlanta-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

In a past life, I got to drive a McLaren M6b around the industrial park (on the street) during some post-restoration testing, prior to delivering the car to it's owner. 1500 pounds, 600HP and all the grip you could stand. Woooo-hoooo that was fun.

68-McLaren-M6B_num52-DV-11-MH-03.jpg

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Retired police cruiser : 1974 Dodge Monaco : It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. Smokes like a train.

How many miles to Chicago and are you wearing sunglasses?

Me: series one E-type. Wife has given me the go ahead on a newish Aston Martin when we pay off some bills.

Last edited:
I wasn't having a mid life crisis when I bought it but I guess my 14 Mustang GT would qualify. If I was to buy a new one now, it probably would be a Challenger Scat pack.

Been thinking of Charger SRT, but I can't even find one to test drive near me. Another option is a CPO Audi S6, but the potential cost of repairs after warranty is up scares me a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back