What is or will be your Mid-Life Crisis car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife said I can't have a second childhood because I never outgrew my first one. At 35 I bought a 1988 M6, at 50 I bought a Mazdaspeed3, at 51 I "accidentally" bought a 1975 2002 off eBay.
Practicality bites.
Oh yeah, at 48 I bought a Triumph Speed Triple 900. My wife's comment was that she'd rather I have an affair with something on two wheels as opposed to two legs...

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I don't have the finances to have one. I guess the rusty 2003 Grand Marquis will have to do. (But I did buy a motorcycle!)

Same here, my bike is my affordable midlife crisis vehicle.

I don't have the money for what I would like (a '67 Camaro RS/SS in black), so I have never really worried about it.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Not sure if it counts as a midlife crisis car, or just getting the car I've always wanted, but I plan to get a '70s 240Z/260Z/280Z.

thumbsup2.gif
Had a '78 280Z Black Pearl that I did a moderate rebuild on. Loved it, and still kicking myself for letting it go many years ago. Would also add a Datsun Roadster, and a new GTR, 'cause, why not? Since we're dreaming...

Probably an old Miata for autocross and some track days. Costs less than a half decent mountain bike! A used 2.0T manual ATS is also on the wish list as a DD/crisis car, maybe when the Focus dies.

Mine was a 2007 Ford Focus, 4 dr sedan, with a powerful 2.0 NA engine. To bad it was totaled in a 20 MPR rear end crash with a MODOT dump truck in June. I wasn't driving.
cry.gif

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I think mid-life crisis is just a figure of speech. You don't have to hate your life to want a cool car. Typically "mid-life" is when some folks can actually buy that cool/dream car. maybe kids are older, or they're just in a better financial position.

This. I don't think of it like that all. I have everything paid off, kids are older or out of the house now so I can get something to play with.
Happy with my life. Maybe I just want something different and I can afford it.

The BMW in my sig.

Bought it ....14 years ago. Knew from the day I bought it I'd never let it go. Sure, there were daily drivers, but nothing could hold a candle to it. It just fits me and my vehicle preferences to a "t".

Oh and not having a car payment on anything I own is a nice feeling too
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rat407
I have a 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 6m that I purchased new when I sold my 65 Impala SS. But it sits in the garage more than gets used so it is up for sale. Can't see it just sitting with only 16k miles on it.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/black-2013-camaro-2ss-rs/6304548238.html

Very nice. Sitting is ok.

Wish the Caprice was paid off, only one car payment at time.
smile.gif

The past 8 years or so mine has been a sidebyside utv. I have met some great people that enjoy riding in the woods. Some of my best friends and memories have been riding on dirt.

Its my SRT-8. Technically I expect it to be my "second-half-of-life" car, just like the old beater Satellite was my first-half-of-life car. I've never been one who liked to own large numbers of cars through life, constantly buying and selling. I keep most of my cars a LOOOOONG time. Yes, I have 5 at once and that is statistically high, the difference is that I've only owned 12 *total*, including wife's cars.

And I have the '69 R/T and '66 Polara to keep me entertained, too.

My dad and I were talking about cars the other day. He asked if I could buy any new car I wanted and had to spend between $80-100k, what would it be? I honestly don't like any new cars enough to long for one. I had my "fun" car in my early 20's (an '02 WRX) and I'm kinda done with that now.

I like old stuff myself. I'd love an old pickup or a big car from the 50's-60's to putt around in.

I think my "mid-life crisis" purchase will be an old banjo (like I need another one).

Made it way past the mid-life crisis age without ever going though that phase. However, now that I'm approaching retirement, I plan on buying driving, and then trading for a few different cars I want to drive.

First on the list is a 2006 Mercedes SL500 or 2007 SL550. Haven't decided if I need the extra power or not.

I guess technically I would be considered middle aged, but there's no crisis. As long as I've had a Drivers License, I've pretty much always had vehicles that others consider frivolous. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
smile.gif

Seven years ago, Memorial Day weekend 2010, I bought my old BMW because I had a real desire for a small five speed ragtop. I considered the Miata too common and too small.
The e36 318iC is slow enough not to cause me to achieve cop-baiting speeds winding it out through the first three gears and it's even pretty abstemious of fuel.
I've put about 60K on it as a good weather daily driver since and it has been as reliable and trouble free as any anonymous sedan.
It isn't as though I'm one to go crazy in buying any car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back