What is or will be your Mid-Life Crisis car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a great life and never had anything I would call a mid-life crisis. I married the perfect woman 30 years ago. With her by my side, nothing is a "crisis" we cannot handle. Cars have been my hobby since the original muscle car era in the 60's. Since then, I have owned 87 cars and trucks. I don't regret selling or trading most of them. If I could have a few back, I would select my 1967 Firebird 400, 1968 TR-250, and my 1974 Buick Riviera from the list of older cars. Of the newer models, I would want my 2012 Shelby GT-500 and my 2015 Stingray. Of late, I have been seeking the ideal car that has the best combination of price, performance, comfort, and practicality. At the moment, I am very happy with my 2016 Charger Scat Pack with a 392 Hemi and ZF8HP automatic transmission. ($37K out the door, incredible sound/performance, very comfortable seating and ride with all the practicality of a 4 door sedan with a huge trunk).

Last edited:
Mine's my plow truck. I said to myself I should get one. Years passed and I finally decided that rusty hulk was more useful than another $670 in the bank. Actually looking forward to winter this year.
20.gif

The Mustang in the signature.
I had always wanted a Mustang convertible since I was six years old.
Held out for what I wanted, found it at a Ford store in North Carolina
Took me 40 years to get it. Bought it new.

I married my perfect woman 34 years ago come December 17th.
We prefer to buy a car whether new or used and keep it for years.
We've always gone this route and it has brought us cheap transportation over many years.
Those who say that buying new is financially foolish are clueless.
You just have to keep that new car long enough to make it pay off for you while you maintain it well enough that you get a long and trouble free life out of it.
Not hard at all.

By the time I was 42 YO, my two sons were twelve and nine.
Good luck mate, since it'll be a while before you get to do any mid-life crisis stuff.

Originally Posted By: ATex7239
That said, I've always had a thing for the Honda S2000.

The black ones have very soft paint. I remember seeing one in the showroom with micro-scratches all over it. I also noticed some rust on the brake rotors. Of course after a test drive, no more rust! I remember being at a stoplight when a girl in one of those Mercury Cougar V6 hatchbacks pulled up along side and left me in the dust. So that put a damper on things. Car corners very nicely, stiff body is a positive, but really have to wind it out to feel any power. I prefer an NSX but the price on those have gone way up. But what a car, probably my favorite.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I remember being at a stoplight when a girl in one of those Mercury Cougar V6 hatchbacks pulled up along side and left me in the dust.

I knew this chick that had one of those. They're surprisingly fast!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: ATex7239
That said, I've always had a thing for the Honda S2000.

The black ones have very soft paint. I remember seeing one in the showroom with micro-scratches all over it. I also noticed some rust on the brake rotors. Of course after a test drive, no more rust! I remember being at a stoplight when a girl in one of those Mercury Cougar V6 hatchbacks pulled up along side and left me in the dust. So that put a damper on things. Car corners very nicely, stiff body is a positive, but really have to wind it out to feel any power. I prefer an NSX but the price on those have gone way up. But what a car, probably my favorite.

The NSX is a sweat ride, for sure.

I wouldn't want an S2000 to race, just to cruise around and look cool.

A naturally aspirated 4 cyclinder isn't the best power plant for racing. I don't care how high it revs, without a turbo, you are much better off with a v6 or v8.

My bride of 31 years is a keeper; no complaints about my car /bike purchases and on top of that her automotive tastes compliment mine. She didn't even bat an eye when I considered buying a Lotus Elise for a DD.
And-unlike my poor friends who have wives who forbid a decent soundbar, never mind an HTS-my wife said nothing about the 7.1 system in the family room- not even a peep about the relatively large surround speakers.

My daily driver is a manual transmission twin turbo 335i. But, my mid-life crisis car is a Ford Fiesta ST. One third the price, three times the toss-ability and thirty three times as much fun to drive. When I was 19, I bought a bare bones 1980 Ford Fiesta. A poor man's Rabbit of the day. A blast to drive for many years. Now, I am back to my future and loving it. The current Fiesta ST is one of the most under-rated values of today.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Probably another E39 M5.

One of the best BMWs ever, IMHO. As near to German perfection in Autobahn cruisers as you can get, Especially with a 6-speed. Good choice! Have you seen this old BMW commercial, with an E39 M5 at Bonneville:

https://youtu.be/4XcLzUbPlA8

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I'll get a C7 Grand Sport, but not right now...

I'm going for a C5...you can pick up a nice one now for under $20K...C7s are nice, but I can't justify a car payment that's as much as a house payment...

Originally Posted By: PFP
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Probably another E39 M5.

One of the best BMWs ever, IMHO. As near to German perfection in Autobahn cruisers as you can get, Especially with a 6-speed. Good choice! Have you seen this old BMW commercial, with an E39 M5 at Bonneville:

https://youtu.be/4XcLzUbPlA8

Yes, that's classic, this is another good one:

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I think mid-life crisis is just a figure of speech. You don't have to hate your life to want a cool car. Typically "mid-life" is when some folks can actually buy that cool/dream car. maybe kids are older, or they're just in a better financial position.

I'd say you nailed it.

I guess my Xj12 was - didn't see much point in waiting for mid life, though. At the time, it was probably faster than the airplane it replaced, which my new wife did not know .....

For all you guys dreaming of goats, the Australian GTO beats it's namesake like a full house beats two of a kind. Wouldn't mind having another, myself. Unfortunately, they were dirt cheap to buy and most of them have been modded, flogged, and wrecked by kids. I vividly remember making the mistake of tossing mine into a pretty lurid power slide, with my wife in the car. When I was done, all she could say was "what kind of fool would sell a car like this, to an idiot like you?"

Originally Posted By: PFP
My daily driver is a manual transmission twin turbo 335i. But, my mid-life crisis car is a Ford Fiesta ST. One third the price, three times the toss-ability and thirty three times as much fun to drive. When I was 19, I bought a bare bones 1980 Ford Fiesta. A poor man's Rabbit of the day. A blast to drive for many years. Now, I am back to my future and loving it. The current Fiesta ST is one of the most under-rated values of today.

I considered an ST when I bought my M235i; the main problems were that I was not particularly impressed by my local dealers, I couldn't find a car with Recaros but without a hole in the roof, and finally I thought it might be too similar to the Mazdaspeed3 I would be replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back