What is Marvel Mystery Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Clubber_Lang
Bought an original owner 2004 Toyota Solara 2.4....oil change records every 2500-3000 miles. Car ran ok when I bought it, but had just a *little valve train noise. Nothing too bad.

MMO at 15% quieted / smoothed it out after about 300 miles. This has been my experience over and over with different used vehicles

I wouldn't use it every oil change, but I don't think it hurts to use it in applications like the above, or perhaps every 50,000? or so miles.

Slight oil thinning of 5w-30 in a Toyota (especially in the winter) does not bother me a bit....

We share similar results. I haven't had the need to treat an engine with it in quite a while now, but over the years in beaters, a used car with unknown history, or recommending it to a friend to remedy a problem it has always worked as intended. Having said that it is not going to fix a bad cam, or worn out rings, but in a mechanically sound engine with a ticking lifters, an engine needing cleaning, or had stuck ring/rings it worked.

I'd challenge anyone to find accounts where it has harmed an engine when used in the oil as directed.

in the sixties and seventies, my grandfather got between 500000 and 1 million miles in between rebuilds. He was an owner operator. This was at a time when such longevity was uncommon. He always ran with 20% marvel Mystery Oil in the engine. Every rebuild he did he said the internals looked brand new even at those really high mileages

So I don't think it hurts at all, and I've used it for a long time. To the contrary, I think it's excellent at keeping your engine clean. A lot of people buy used cars with spotty oil change histories. I'd recommend marvel Mystery Oil to them.

Interesting, bringing up the 60s-70 oil change rituals.
Then, the average oil change consisted of either 10W30/40, 15W40, 20W50 and straight 30W. Today the average oil grade is either 0W20, 5W20, 5W30 and 10W30.

So today, use caution when using 'thin' MMO according to the bottle directions. I would think the label makes-mention of using the product with real thin oils of today.

Yeah, it would make me a little apprehensive to use it in a 20 weight.....but I've never owned anything new enough for that
wink.gif

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Bought an original owner 2004 Toyota Solara 2.4....oil change records every 2500-3000 miles. Car ran ok when I bought it, but had just a *little valve train noise. Nothing too bad.

MMO at 15% quieted / smoothed it out after about 300 miles. This has been my experience over and over with different used vehicles

I wouldn't use it every oil change, but I don't think it hurts to use it in applications like the above, or perhaps every 50,000? or so miles.

Slight oil thinning of 5w-30 in a Toyota (especially in the winter) does not bother me a bit....

We share similar results. I haven't had the need to treat an engine with it in quite a while now, but over the years in beaters, a used car with unknown history, or recommending it to a friend to remedy a problem it has always worked as intended. Having said that it is not going to fix a bad cam, or worn out rings, but in a mechanically sound engine with a ticking lifters, an engine needing cleaning, or had stuck ring/rings it worked.

It's good to see a fellow user of MMO. It seems like many of it's detractors have never used the product before!

Well, fine and good if it works for some …
… but let's respect the company name … and what's in it shall remain a mystery 👽

Originally Posted by 4WD
… but let's respect the company name … and what's in it shall remain a mystery 👽

Don't look a gift Mystery in the mouth.

Yeah, it would make me a little apprehensive to use it in a 20 weight.....but I've never owned anything new enough for that
wink.gif

Try Rislone Engine Treatment, actually formulated for motor oil...

my 2 cents...

Just paid the dealer to change the plugs on my 04 F150 Fx4 after 150,000 miles. I wanted to do it myself, but if you know the history with this truck and the factory plugs, it is high recommended that you do not do it, as they can snap in half while trying to extract them. When I brought the truck in, they tried to convince me to pay for a fuel system cleanse ($280.00), because it "can help" with the removal of the plugs by assisting with extract, in turn, possibly saving money on additional labor if they do snap in half. I declined the cleanse and was going to risk it.

It turns out, none of the plugs broke, and they were very surprised (especially after 150,000 miles), they even asked me if I used any additives in my fuel. I let them know I use about 10 ounces of MMO per full tank (25 gallons) of gas. Of course, I cannot confirm it was the MMO that helped, but I can deny it either. Needless to say, I will continue to use it.
I have never used it as an engine oil supplement, only in the gas tank.

Originally Posted by rbomb
Of course, I cannot confirm it was the MMO that helped, but I can deny it either..

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but also not entirely your fault.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Don't look a gift Mystery in the mouth.

That's good!

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by rbomb
Of course, I cannot confirm it was the MMO that helped, but I can deny it either..

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but also not entirely your fault.

You can use this logic with any motor oil

Person: "My car ran for 500,000 miles on Brand X motor oil"

Detractor: "It could have ran that long on any oil"

Same with MMO. Tons and tons of testimonials on it's cleaning ability, but people who have never used it have their mind made up!

Last edited:
To be fair though, I would (personally) only use MMO in the engine. I think it might be a little hard on the cat. converter

To be fair though, I would (personally) only use MMO in the engine. I think it might be a little hard on the cat. converter

Really? Why do you think that? I don't see anything in their product that would damage a converter and their website says it will not.

Same with MMO. Tons and tons of testimonials on it's cleaning ability, but people who have never used it have their mind made up!

Well I was mostly agreeing with his statement since there's no proof it does any cleaning, is there? I haven't seen it here nor do I see anything on their website. There aren't any "before and after" pictures nor any sort of standardized test results such as piston or valve deposit removal. If such a thing existed wouldn't you expect the company to post those results in their literature?

I'm not a big fan of testimonials mostly because they are posted by individuals that don't have any of this proof either. Look at these on their website:

My father has always used it and I have been using it since around 1986.
It's truly a great product that has withstood the test of time.
I use it and I also tell everyone about it.
MMO is the way to go!

As you note above I could easily say that "I've never used MMO in over 1,000,000 combined miles in my old cars and they run fine!"

MMO does provide a UCL function (in gas) while added to oil is supposed to help with lubrication and cleaning ... Molecule (sp?) on the forum here advised contents are mild cleaners , wear reducers and lubricants . Is it needed with modern oils and tier one gas additives ? - Who knows for sure but generally doesn't seem to hurt . I believe the correct ratio of MMO in gas is 320:1 but I have used at 640:1 or 1280 : 1 ratios to error on the side of not over doing it - maybe running every two to three tanks so it doesn't build up too excessively ... Worse case , nice red color and smells like winter green !

Last edited:

Really? Why do you think that? I don't see anything in their product that would damage a converter and their website says it will not.

Scotty Kilmer advised of this, citing that it's good for vehicles with straight pipes but can wear cats when used in fuel...Although many do run it *every tankful so who knows

The biggest Mystery about MMO is all the contempt and disdain from those who have never used it.....
Just read some reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/Marvel-MM12R...ystery+oil&qid=1578353240&sr=8-1

81% of the reviews are 5-star, and a total of 93% are either 5 or 4-star. I'd say that's about as good as I've ever seen for a product on Amazon, so I fail to share your concern for "contempt and disdain."

The biggest Mystery about MMO is all the contempt and disdain from those who have never used it.....
Just read some reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/Marvel-MM12R...ystery+oil&qid=1578353240&sr=8-1

81% of the reviews are 5-star, and a total of 93% are either 5 or 4-star. I'd say that's about as good as I've ever seen for a product on Amazon, so I fail to share your concern for "contempt and disdain."

^contempt from many on BITOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back