What Is Harder On Flat Screen TV's ??

Agree 100%, and that was what my statement was pointing out. You really don't understand what a "really good TV" is on the market today. You are ok with a walmart/costco black friday TV that is bright enough to see.

...and I will continue to stand by my statement that you have no idea what a good TV is.
We are all waiting for you to enlighten us, rather arrogantly I may say. You have gone out on a limb, now tell us.

Vampire electronics. Can use up to 40% of power used regular (that's 2006 stat with cable boxes, I believe) when in "standby" than when "Off"

Like my Uncle always used to say.. You're paying for that light to be on.

Surest way to save electricity is to have it completely unplugged from the wall, except when using it.
Some TV’s have a setting for “fast startup.” My 65” Hisense U6GR is rated to draw less than half a watt when in standby for example, I’d assume if I selected fast startup it would draw more while “off.” My Xbox draws 0.2 watts while off but up to 30 if you chose instant on.

We are all waiting for you to enlighten us. You have gone out on a limb, now tell us.
You get what you pay for. Better sets may have cooling fans (or more of them), better designed circuitry, more features/inputs, heavier chassis and may have a better, grounded power supply instead of a cheap external supply. Those black friday sets are cheap, no name units that are manufactured exclusively for black friday sales. They are intended to lure people in the stores during the holidays and are basically junk. You won't see those models being available during the rest of the calendar year.

....... more features/inputs, heavier chassis.....
Don't go by weight. The set I replaced was an older, middle of the road 55" Samsung we got years ago at a, "after Christmas sale". The new set is a top of the line 65" Samsung with all the bells and whistles.

The new 65" set is far lighter than the older 55" set, which weighed a ton. The fact is these newer, more expensive sets are becoming lighter, as more and more people are going to wall mounts.

We are all waiting for you to enlighten us, rather arrogantly I may say. You have gone out on a limb, now tell us.

LMGTFY

I'm not trying to say I am a TV expert - I'm not. I'm just saying there is MUCH higher performing TV's than what you will find at Costco for $300. If that $300 TV works for you, by all means, that is awesome - it works for most folks. I just bought a 52" set for my deck for $198 at Sams...it will be used to watch football while we sit outside, or in our hot tub. Usually the content you are watching isn't that great (internet streaming) so you can't take advantage of the capabilities of the set anyways.

I enjoy watching sports and movies - movies so much that I have invested in a dedicated room just to watch them. I want the blacks to be BLACK, and I want the bright whites to blind me. I want no blurr in the background during an action scene or while watching a large sporting event, and the camera pans the crowd. I want local dimming so when parts of the screen are black, they are still black, and parts of the screen are white, they are bright white to be true!

I also still seek out true HD blue ray discs when watching a good movie, CD's or HDCD's when listening to music, and can hardly stand streaming content.

Since we are on a car forum...saying a $300 Costco TV is great is like saying the bottom tier econobox is equal to Porsche. Yes, it fits the basic transportation needs of the average commuter...but for those who appreciate driving, it will never compare.

Back