What Is Harder On Flat Screen TV's ??

I've heard arguments on both sides of this. And I don't know enough about electronics to decide. Are warm up / cool down cycles, (turning them on and off several times a day), harder on them? Or total hours run. (Turning them on and leaving them on throughout the day)?

Sometimes I get up early, and like to watch a few programs in the morning when I have my coffee. Then I shower and start my day. And I may not come back to watch again until late morning or early afternoon. Sometimes even later. It just depends.

Am I better off turning the set on and off as I watch it, or just leaving it on? I'm not that concerned about saving energy, as I am getting the most mileage out of my new set. My older Samsung gave up a few weeks ago, so I went out bought the latest and greatest model to replace it. And I was just wondering what would give it the longest life?

Direct sunlight and long burn times (leaving them on) is what kills the display. Constant turning on and off is harder on power supply components (heavy current inrush). Mine stays on all day. If you have a "sleep" mode where the screen goes blank, it doesn't matter. These things generate a lot of heat and I suspect that would be harder on other electrical components.

I do know this. I work for the worlds largest news gathering agency in the world. We have had tube and current flat screens TV's run 24/7/365 in our newsrooms that are never shut off and they'll last for 15 years. Some on protected circuits and others on house power. Cheap and expensive units. So turning them off and on constantly does seem to have a detrimental affect to longevity.

Direct sunlight and long burn times (leaving them on) is what kills the display. Constant turning on and off is harder on power supply components (heavy current inrush). Mine stays on all day. If you have a "sleep" mode where the screen goes blank, it doesn't matter. These things generate a lot of heat and I suspect that would be harder on other electrical components.

This brings up yet another question with these things. I've read that when they're "OFF", they're not really "OFF". And I've heard some say that you are better off plugging the power cord into either a switched outlet, or else one of those power strips you can switch off.

Thereby killing 100% of the power to the unit when you're not watching it. Supposedly these things are always is some type of "warm up mode", or some such. Even when they are off.

What purpose does this serve? And would it hurt or help longevity to kill 100% of the power to the set when you're not viewing it?

I do know this. I work for the worlds largest news gathering agency in the world. We have had tube and current flat screens TV's run 24/7/365 in our newsrooms that are never shut off and they'll last for 15 years. Some on protected circuits and others on house power. Cheap and expensive units. So turning them off and on constantly does seem to have a detrimental affect to longevity.

When I worked as a aerospace machinist before I retired, we had small Vizio flat screen TV's mounted to all the CNC lathes that were used as monitors. They were also on 24/7/365, and were never switched off.

Not only that, but they lived in the absolute worst environment for electronics you could possibly imagine. Constantly shaking and vibrating while the machine was in operation. And having to deal with oil and coolant mist being sprayed on to the parts, that went everywhere.

I never saw one fail, ever. That is why I bought a Vizio when we purchased our 65" flat screen. It has been going strong since 2013, almost 10 years ago. And it's been through one move in that time as well. I went with a Samsung this time, because it had the best features for the best price.

All the Vizio models were from last year. And I wanted Bluetooth so I could have easy to hook up, wireless headphones.

This brings up yet another question with these things. I've read that when they're "OFF", they're not really "OFF". And I've heard some say that you are better off plugging the power cord into either a switched outlet, or else one of those power strips you can switch off.

Thereby killing 100% of the power to the unit when you're not watching it. Supposedly these things are always is some type of "warm up mode", or some such. Even when they are off.

What purpose does this serve? And would it hurt or help longevity to kill 100% of the power to the set when you're not viewing it?
Anything that turns on with a remote control will always be "on". But this is a low power circuit that allows the receiver to listen for the the remote control "on" command. When I turn the TV on with the remote control it still has to "boot" and takes a little time.
The only thing you would accomplish with a wall switch or power strip switch would be to isolate the TV from power line surges. I wouldn't bother.

I've never had any of my non-CRT TV-s die yet. Which is kind of unfortunate because I want newer models but it doesn't make sense to buy them.

These newfangled plasma and LCD screens are far more reliable than the CRT which used to croak in 10 years or less.

It’s been like that for decades. Cutting the power as you noted will turn them completely off

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy as we wait for something to fail before we upgrade to a newer version we'd really like. It's how I am but lately I've gifted a few things either not being used or wanting to upgrade and it didn't hurt a bit and the giftees were thrilled. sorry for o/t.

My last TV, a Toshiba Regza LCD lasted 14 years. On the weekends I would leave it on all day and some times on the weekend it would be on from Saturday morning until Sunday night. The last couple years the screen was getting foggy is the best way I can explain it, maybe if I shut it off more that wouldn't of happened, never now but I treat my new Sony the same.

I had a flat screen in a travel trailer that I recently sold. It was in there 5 years, bounced down the road and subject to freezing temperatures for months at a time when stored in the winter. I have a feeling they are not as fragile as we might believe. The T.V. was still working when I got rid of the trailer for a new one.

My last TV, a Toshiba Regza LCD lasted 14 years. On the weekends I would leave it on all day and some times on the weekend it would be on from Saturday morning until Sunday night. The last couple years the screen was getting foggy is the best way I can explain it, maybe if I shut it off more that wouldn't of happened, never now but I treat my new Sony the same.
On my old Samsung the contrast went to hell. It was weird. People on the screen started to look like old film negatives. Light was dark, and dark was light. I tried "tuning it", but no matter what I did it looked like crap. So out it went.

What was funny, is I had it sitting out by the mailbox waiting for a "special pickup" from the garbage men, and a landscaping truck stopped in front and asked me if it worked. I explained to him what I wrote above. No matter, he took it. Even after I told him it wasn't sitting out there because it was so wonderful.

When screens go out they begin loosing pixels (black on a light screen and white on a dark screen. Rarely do they just quit. If the picture becomes "funky" or just quits, it's usually a failing high voltage power supply circuit. These TV's are modular in design and, if parts are available, easy to repair. I did lose just one pixel on an old set but mine all died an early death from power surges from local lightning strikes (which I have gone through extensive measures to, hopefully, help). HDMI and CAT 5/6 ports are very prone to failure due to manufacturers skimping on preventative measures (cost).

First of all, it depends on how you use it. If you're going to turn off all power several times a day, then no, not a good idea.
However, if you're going to not use the TV for several days, or weeks, it would pay to turn off all power. Same with cable boxes and streaming sticks.
The TV's in our guest rooms are never plugged in until we get visitors, so they'll be off for months at a time.

You have no idea what a "really good TV" is or costs...
my definition and your definition may be completely different. A really good tv is one that is very easy to see from a reasonable seating distance. Has easy to use controls, clear and crisp screen, easy connections for add on stuff, smart capabilities, etc.

These are available in 60+ inch varieties at Costco. I stand by my statement.

Vampire electronics. Can use up to 40% of power used regular (that's 2006 stat with cable boxes, I believe) when in "standby" than when "Off"

Like my Uncle always used to say.. You're paying for that light to be on.

Surest way to save electricity is to have it completely unplugged from the wall, except when using it.

Back